British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway On Tv And The Internet In 2024

Discovery+ has British Premiership speedway, SPEEDWAY gP’s and SofN.

this week there will be 4 speedway meetings, tonight Brit Premiership, We’d &Thurs the SofN semis and Saturday the SofN final.

At £60 per year (offered for £30 at beginning of this year), it works out at £5 per month. This week alone the 4 meetings are going to cost £1.25 each.

Plus I can see WOrld MX gp’s, and British Superbikes.

Whats not to like.

21 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

this week there will be 4 speedway meetings, tonight Brit Premiership, We’d &Thurs the SofN semis and Saturday the SofN final.

At £60 per year (offered for £30 at beginning of this year), it works out at £5 per month. This week alone the 4 meetings are going to cost £1.25 each.

Whats not to like.

You missed SON 2 (U21) on Friday.

Discovery + - Has a free 7 day trial !!  Sign up Wed and cancel Sun - Job Done. 

All I want now is Discovery+ to take on MotoGP/2/3 and I can kick BT completely into oblivion.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Whats not to like.

What is not to like is that I am already paying them through my Sky subscription, I should not have to pay them twice for it.

Plus the thing about being on TV is that's you catch casual viewers.  I got into speedway by being bored one night and catching it on Sky Sports.

And I do consider myself a "sports fan".  There are a few sports I like, mainly cricket, and those are all I watch.  I do not like other motorsports, nor do I even pay any attention to things like the Olympics or World Cups just because they are big occasions, because I know they are of no interest to me.  It should be more difficult for me to get me interested in a sport that most people, yet I had no opinion of speedway, saw some, and I am still here watching it, or trying to.

I would like speedway to do well, and an important part of that will be getting more people interested in the sport.  Great Britain are the reigning World Champions, what a great opportunity this should be to promote the sport.  And if they breeze through the Semi-Final we can just say it is because of how good our team is.  And it should be the main event for trying to attract fans because you do not even have to know who the riders are as you just support your own country.

But we cannot do that because most of the tournament is exclusively on a subscription service where you cannot just see it flipping channels.  And Discovery+ is a niche service at that, the smallest of all the mainstream streaming services.  Whilst it had an Olympics bump, most people were happy just to watch what they could on the B.B.C.

So what else is not to like is that the sport is deliberately contracting, not only shutting itself off from reaching new viewers it is also turning away those who do not have Discovery+.

To quote Eurosport at the time they took over as promoted "Eurosport Events will leverage its long-standing motorsport promotion expertise and the international scale of Discovery to develop the sport and grow Speedway around the world.  The partnership will seek to expand Speedway GP’s international calendar, extend the distribution of the sport on TV and digital platforms, launch Speedway into new territories and increase its audiences around the world."

What is not to like is being lied to.  Because they are doing the exact opposite of that.  They are not increasing audiences, they are reducing the distribution on TV.  Using Discovery+ to provide extra depth, such as more analysis when TV viewers see commercials, or to cover more events like the Team U21 World Championship, is fine.  Make money from existing speedway fans that way.  But the Speedway of Nations was a mainstream event taken out of the mainstream.

There is lots not to like.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, someone said:

What is not to like is that I am already paying them through my Sky subscription, I should not have to pay them twice for it.

Plus the thing about being on TV is that's you catch casual viewers.  I got into speedway by being bored one night and catching it on Sky Sports.

And I do consider myself a "sports fan".  There are a few sports I like, mainly cricket, and those are all I watch.  I do not like other motorsports, nor do I even pay any attention to things like the Olympics or World Cups just because they are big occasions, because I know they are of no interest to me.  It should be more difficult for me to get me interested in a sport that most people, yet I had no opinion of speedway, saw some, and I am still here watching it, or trying to.

I would like speedway to do well, and an important part of that will be getting more people interested in the sport.  Great Britain are the reigning World Champions, what a great opportunity this should be to promote the sport.  And if they breeze through the Semi-Final we can just say it is because of how good our team is.  And it should be the main event for trying to attract fans because you do not even have to know who the riders are as you just support your own country.

But we cannot do that because most of the tournament is exclusively on a subscription service where you cannot just see it flipping channels.  And Discovery+ is a niche service at that, the smallest of all the mainstream streaming services.  Whilst it had an Olympics bump, most people were happy just to watch what they could on the B.B.C.

So what else is not to like is that the sport is deliberately contracting, not only shutting itself off from reaching new viewers it is also turning away those who do not have Discovery+.

To quote Eurosport at the time they took over as promoted "Eurosport Events will leverage its long-standing motorsport promotion expertise and the international scale of Discovery to develop the sport and grow Speedway around the world.  The partnership will seek to expand Speedway GP’s international calendar, extend the distribution of the sport on TV and digital platforms, launch Speedway into new territories and increase its audiences around the world."

What is not to like is being lied to.  Because they are doing the exact opposite of that.  They are not increasing audiences, they are reducing the distribution on TV.  Using Discovery+ to provide extra depth, such as more analysis when TV viewers see commercials, or to cover more events like the Team U21 World Championship, is fine.  Make money from existing speedway fans that way.  But the Speedway of Nations was a mainstream event taken out of the mainstream.

You make some really good points- why not email the Discovery sports events boss francoisribeiro@discovery.com    and see if you get a reply.- please let us know.

Francois Ribeiro is senior vice president.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, someone said:

I glad that’s off your chest.

Is Eurosport 2 not showing the SON? I don’t see it listed anywhere. ☹️

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mylor said:

Is Eurosport 2 not showing the SON? I don’t see it listed anywhere. ☹️

Just the final on Saturday- other days on Discovery + - i suggest you follow the meeting thread here as it has also been discussed there 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Just the final on Saturday- other days on Discovery + - i suggest you follow the meeting thread here as it has also been discussed there 

Yeah all Speedway Fans not very happy at all, they should be on TV.

3 hours ago, RS50 said:

Some live speedway on 21st and 27th, this month, on Freesports I believe.

Yes the 21st is the Danish league final and the 27th is the Swedish league final 1st leg- Premier i would imagine are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but have live sport on 1 and 2 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:23 PM, racers and royals said:

Yes the 21st is the Danish league final and the 27th is the Swedish league final 1st leg- Premier i would imagine are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but have live sport on 1 and 2 

The match on 27th has now vanished from my EPG. Looks like they won't be showing it after all. Doesn't look like it will be live on Premier either.

10 minutes ago, RS50 said:

The match on 27th has now vanished from my EPG. Looks like they won't be showing it after all. Doesn't look like it will be live on Premier either.

Then they have confirmed what i have always thought that they are - a bunch of tossers !!!- anyone who took out a subscription should complain long and loud- after all it is the final 1st leg !!!! Me they screwed me several years ago so never again. Fanseat is better and cheaper.

Edit 1st leg is on Premier Sport 2 at 3.30pm on the Wednesday just before the 2nd leg.

Edited by racers and royals