British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington Comets V Newcastle Diamonds (koc) 1/4/17 7pm.

I suspect most damage was done with the rain during the week. They apparently spent Saturday morning pumping water off the track. Whilst it was dry and sunny for the afternoon a rugby match meant' that they were unable to do any more work on the track until after 17:00, which is when the rain started again. And it was heavy rain for at least 45 minutes. It stopped just a I was leaving at 17:55. If they'd had a decent week then maybe they could have done something with it. but on an already soft track they was no chance. Bend 1 was apparently underwater again.

• Like 1

It's a tough call this early in the season. You would _hope_ most promoters would expect larger crowds at the early meetings as they will have been promoting the sport for the last couple of months. That being the case you don't want a load of people new to speedway to arrive and watch poor racing because you inevitably end up with a slick track if you've had to carry out emergency work on the track.

I arrived just as it was called of at around 17:45, it had just chucked it down, but I was hoping that the time to the start of the meeting would be enough to turn the track around. It was fairly obvious it wasn't going to rain again with the blue skies, but the decision was made and that was that.

Sadly, it's part and parcel of travelling to away matches.

nothing is obvious where I was around 10 miles away it hadn't even looked like rain was coming 100% dry and bright all day

so to have a heavy downpour so close anything could have happened

I did see photos from Friday mind and it was very wet they done well to get it back to being in with a chance of running Saturday morning

Edited by scarra