British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

1947 National League Points Money

​I have visited a money value comparison site and out of interest checked the National League posts money for 1947.

As I recall riders were paid £2 a point - I think the same for start money. The comparison site showed that in today's terms £2 had a spending power of £76. That would mean at today's rates a race winner in points money would have been paid £228 plus another £76 start money - and overall tally of £304.

On those figures - if I have calculated correctly - it would indicate a 12 point maximum would have earned £912 - and more earnings from the second-half scratch races.

Any views on a comparison, providing I have calculated correctly, with what present day riders are earning?

PS: Riders were also paid travel expenses and had a weekly machine allowance.

Edited by Guest

Just put this here from my 1951 Mational League thread,to show that it wasn't long before promters were trying to cut the wages of riders

"37 teams were due to contest the 1951 league programme but the decline continued and Southampton and Sheffield fell by the wayside.Something near to panic set in as the year progressed with the usual subjects of pay rates and the entertainment tax looming large.March saw promoters seeking to cut pay rates by 12.5 %,and a Wimbledon meeting was cancelled as the inevitable dispute dragged on.Two First Division tracks admitted they would prefer to join the Second Division for racing with more variety at lower cost...."

That's fascinating gustix and thanks for posting it-no wonder Ron Johnson could afford to live in a posh London hotel-how did he let all that dough slip thru his fingers?? Like some footballers today I guess. I imagine by the mid fifties the points money had really dropped-quite apart from less jobs available. I guess big money today is made in the Grand Prix and Polish league racing -not the UK leagues.