British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

Wolves V Leicester 3 . 4 . 2017

Cannot see why anyone should complain about an exclusion for encroaching the centre green. The rule has been in force for over a year and makes sense safetywise. Agree that Leicester lost it through some inexplicable team manager's decisions near the end, but I was much impressed with Riss who looked fast and sharp.

Didn't think Leicester had assembled a very good team - but I take that back!

• Like 2

In defence of Jim Lynch, there could have been a perfectly valid reason why he didn't replace Ayres in Heat 14.

Taking management of a new team of riders, you need to get to know how each of them perform; not only their strengths but also, and just as importantly, their weaknesses (particularly when under pressure).

Bates may well have featured in his plans for heat 14 but who's to know whether:

A. Bates could have developed a bike problem; and there was minimal time from Heat 12 to get it fixed. His spare bike would have been cold, or maybe not even set up for the Monmore track.

I've seen first hand problems suddenly occur that can't be quickly fixed.....clutch issues, ignition box, tyre problems, etc. When the pressure is on, mechanics can't always achieve the impossible within the time frame of one (in-between) race.

B. Ayres, at that stage, was on 4 paid 7 - not a bad return. How do we know he didn't say to Jim Lynch "trust me guv, I won't let you down in this one". So there you have a rider, bike good to go, saying he'll deliver for you.

Difficult decision. In either/both of these scenarios, what would you have done?

It's easy to look through the scorecard and see who's scored more points, but who is to say Bates would have not come last also in that heat? Kim Nilsson had 4 first places but also ran a last in one outing.

Yes, of course it's frustrating to not have gained a win - albeit the point earned was a quantum leap over recent seasons. But it's very early in the season, and it's a long run, not a sprint.

I just think that you need to consider the possibilities sometimes; and certainly before apportioning blame - and alluding to the fact that the guy is a poor manager because of one apparent mistake. Afterall, at that stage the Lions were 1 point behind - I would imagine that Jim Lynch had some degree of input, by motivating his team throughout the meeting, to actually be in that position?

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 1

I can see the arguments from both sides to be far as I was there as a neutral but I must say I totally enjoyed the evenings racing

and both sides I felt had things go against them

I understand peoples frustrations but come on get behind your teams its early doors

im sure riders will be trying there hardest to turn there fortunes around

thanks to steve and karl for inviting me up and a beer or to

Don't think anybody is knocking their effort or integrity but if you're simply not good enough then that's a hard truth you're going to struggle to get over.

Jacob rode Max's bike after the rider interviews, did 3 starts and a few laps, obviously trying to see if the issue is Max's bike or not, was difficult to tell as he was riding on his own but certainly didn't look as quick to me as on his own bike.

• Like 1

Bates was probably knackered

Edited by Big Al

What about; the ridiculous exclusion of Riss for putting a wheel on the centre green when going round the tapes??

or did you forget about that.....

So not only is their manager stupid so is Riss, the riders should know the rules!

King in ht 15 looks the bigger howler on the face of it. Presuming both Riss and Gomolski were available, they'd both shown themselves capable of winning races, that would have given Wolves more uncertainty. Riss possibly had a rear tyre still in very good condition, and had good motivation to make good for his previous misdemeanors.

Never been impressed by Lynch. Seems one of those people who uses 50 words when just a few will do fine.

Team looking good, though.

Would add to New Science's comment by saying that the decision to pull heat 11 back was a joke. Nilsson tried to get a roller and messed up, yet the race is pulled back.

Because according to the referee Auty was "not still" and thus given a warning. In the original start Masters was well away when the lights came on and in the re-run only managed a second as the Lions scored a 4-2. Maybe refs should see how the race develops and then put the red lights on if a clear advantage has been gained by the offending rider.

that said, What is considered an advantage? maybe not leading but in second or third? as in the case of heat 11 Masters was well away but Clegg was stone cold last coming out of the second turn in the first start. (which he was in the rerun too)

No riding on centre-green appears to be the rule. Penalty is exclusion. There appears to be no leeway for a referee.

Riss made a mistake and paid the price...rules are rules and he had plenty of time to make it to the start in the proper way. Talking of Rules, team managers are allowed to swap reserves in heat 14..which as we all know Lynch did not do and on paper the Lions paid the price for poor tactical management....

I think Riss will learn from his mistake...I am not so sure Lynch will!

Edited by 1 valve

OK Gutted we didn't take 3 points for the win when it looked like we could / perhaps should ... but heyy, hats off to the Lions showing they can be a force in this watered down ability wise Premiership League ... good to see Danny Ayres and Gomolski scoring points and excellent form from Kim Nilsson and Erik Riss not to mention Batesy - Danny King will have better days but he will come good as will Auty when racing at BP.

Gutted we will be without Josh Bates and Riss in Sat v Poole - both will be sorely missed I feel .... :cry:

I like the 'we' bit. Have you converted already? :lol: I live in Leicester but I think it's going to take me a few weeks to get used to being a Lions fan again after supporting the Bees for so long. I'll have to dig out my old 1970's scarf and see if that will help. :P

• Like 1

Missing Newman didn't help us at Monmore along with KK, Brady and Jack not exactly on fire!! We will be better next time.

You got 8 from Newman's 4 R/R rides. How much more did you want ?

• Like 2

So not only is their manager stupid so is Riss, the riders should know the rules!

What are the specific rules?? Did he cross the Centre Green? or did he just go on the edge? are the rules explicit enough? These are all relevant points,,

But does the penalty fit the crime? Why it is always the fans who pay for the misdemeanour ???..... . Why not deduct a point from his score, instead, but don't takeaway from the fans the opportunity to see him race.... . That's what they pay to come and watch..

• Like 1

Cannot see why anyone should complain about an exclusion for encroaching the centre green. The rule has been in force for over a year and makes sense safetywise. Agree that Leicester lost it through some inexplicable team manager's decisions near the end, but I was much impressed with Riss who looked fast and sharp.

Didn't think Leicester had assembled a very good team - but I take that back!

This rule was brought in to stop riders barrelling across the centre green at high speed trying to make the 2 minutes time allowance thus endangering the staff on the centre green. Not for a rider at walking pace going round 2 feet of concrete to get to the tapes in full view and cooperation of the start marshall. But then again speedway fans love been sticklers for the rules

Edited by New Science

But then again speedway fans love been sticklers for the rules

It's a rule, he broke it, he's excluded. Very very simple.

The problem with Speedway is not when rules are stuck too, but when they are not.

• Like 2

What are the specific rules?? Did he cross the Centre Green? or did he just go on the edge? are the rules explicit enough? These are all relevant points,,

But does the penalty fit the crime? Why it is always the fans who pay for the misdemeanour ???..... . Why not deduct a point from his score, instead, but don't takeaway from the fans the opportunity to see him race.... . That's what they pay to come and watch..

What a terrible idea that is.. imagine explaining that one.. the rule is your not allowed on the infield.. its not a difficult one not sure why your getting so bent out of shape about it

But why did Riss need to go that way? As long as he on the track and on the way to the tapes that's good enough to beat the 2 mins....

• Like 1