British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedball

Visiting Edinburgh & Glasgow

Hopefully this is the best place to put this.

Looking at making my first trips to Edinburgh and Glasgow at the end of April.

The plan at the moment is to fly to Edinburgh then get to Armadale (probably by train then taxi) for the Edinburgh v Sheffield meeting, then travel over to Glasgow on train on the Saturday. Got a ticket for the Old Firm game on Saturday and then planning to take in the Scottish derby at Glasgow on the Saturday night.

Accommodation and travel seems easy for Glasgow but is there anywhere close to Edinburgh's stadium (maybe in Armadale itself) to stay or would I be better off getting the train back to Edinburgh after the meeting?

Any advice greatly appreciated :t:

you've got the choice of the Cairn hotel, Kaim park hotel or the premier inn not in armadale but all with in a 5 - 10 minute taxi journey of the stadium and the train station in Bathgate.

If getting the train from Edinburgh best getting ON/OFF at Bathgate easier to get a taxi to the stadium or from your hotel.

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 1

you've got the choice of the Cairn hotel, Kaim park hotel or the premier inn not in armadale but all with in a 5 - 10 minute taxi journey of the stadium and the train station in Bathgate.

If getting the train from Edinburgh best getting ON/OFF at Bathgate easier to get a taxi to the stadium or from your hotel.

Thank you, that's great. Will check them out.

Sounds like a cracking weekend

Cheers, hoping it all comes together but that would be three things off the bucket list in one weekend.

Hopefully this is the best place to put this.

Looking at making my first trips to Edinburgh and Glasgow at the end of April.

The plan at the moment is to fly to Edinburgh then get to Armadale (probably by train then taxi) for the Edinburgh v Sheffield meeting, then travel over to Glasgow on train on the Saturday. Got a ticket for the Old Firm game on Saturday and then planning to take in the Scottish derby at Glasgow on the Saturday night.

Accommodation and travel seems easy for Glasgow but is there anywhere close to Edinburgh's stadium (maybe in Armadale itself) to stay or would I be better off getting the train back to Edinburgh after the meeting?

Any advice greatly appreciated :t:

Premier Inn at Bathgate is well placed for Armadale, think its the one that used to be a Holiday Inn Express. Its almost within walking distance of Armadale and on the side of Armadale that the track is. So a taxi would be 2 mins. Wouldn't trail back into Edinburgh personally when its only 2 mins by taxi to the Prem Inn Bathgate.

Sounds like you've got the Glasgow travel and accommodation options sussed.

• Like 2

Premier Inn at Bathgate is well placed for Armadale, think its the one that used to be a Holiday Inn Express. Its almost within walking distance of Armadale and on the side of Armadale that the track is. So a taxi would be 2 mins. Wouldn't trail back into Edinburgh personally when its only 2 mins by taxi to the Prem Inn Bathgate.

Sounds like you've got the Glasgow travel and accommodation options sussed.

Glasgow seems easily doable by train from Queen Street station to Ashfield so pretty much got the pick of anywhere in the city centre. Just wasn't sure about Armadale as it seemed a bit out of the way. The Premier Inn that has been mentioned looks perfect though.

Thanks again everyone for their help. Just hope it all comes off now.

Thank you, that's great. Will check them out.

Cheers, hoping it all comes together but that would be three things off the bucket list in one weekend.

hope you have a good weekend and it doesn't bucket down with rain.

blimey.must be costing you a small fortune.worth it though.c,mon the tigers.sheffield that is!

It's not that bad now I've done my research.

Return train fare, flights and two nights hotel comes in at around £180.

Obviously will have admissions, food etc on top but will never get a better chance to visit both tracks. Saturday will really be a derby day!!!

sounds like a great plan and you probably have it sussed now but here is more info that may (or may not) help

To be honest unless you are really keen to have a night out in Edinburgh (and you won't be back until well after 10pm) you are better just staying local to the track, there are always a good few in the bar at the stadium after a meeting if you want a beer. The Premier Inn or the Cairn are decent options but they are NOT walking distance to the track and not in Bathgate town centre. The Fairway and the Kaim park are walking distance to Bathgate town centre but again not walking distance to the track. There are local buses from Bathgate to Armadale that go right by the hotels and the track if you want to save a taxi however if there are at least 3 of you it will be just as sheap to get a taxi. There aren't any options in Armadale.

Quickest way from airport is the tram to Edinburgh Park (you don't need to head to city centre) where you can then get the train to Bathgate or Armadale, as said above there will be more taxi options at Bathgate. Tram/bus from the airport is a bit of rip off but the alternative is a taxi.

You can go direct from Bathgate or Armadale to Glasgow on the train these days, it is a slight slower train than the main Edinburgh-Glasgow train but saves you going back into Edinburgh.

If you did want to stay in the city Edinburgh Speedway run a bus to/from the Edinburgh city centre to the track, leaves waterloo place (very close to Waveley station) at 6.15 and returns 15 mins after the last race. If you are arriving in Edinburgh early and want to explore the city then that could be an option as there isn't much to do or see in Bathgate or Armadale except the speedway and a few pubs.

Edited by scotchopper
  • Like 1

To be honest unless you are really keen to have a night out in Edinburgh (and you won't be back until well after 10pm) you are better just staying local to the track, there are always a good few in the bar at the stadium after a meeting if you want a beer. The Premier Inn or the Cairn are decent options but they are NOT walking distance to the track and not in Bathgate town centre.

I didn't say it was walking distance, I said its "almost" walking distance and advised to use a taxi that would only be 2 mins. More accurately 5 minutes by taxi as "Premier Inn, Bathgate, EH48 1LL" to "Armadale Stadium, Bathgate Road, EH48 2PD" is, according to AA route planner, 4.8 miles. So yeah would be a long walk.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway

It would be good to get this trip off your bucket list before you need a passport, a visa, and some Scottish groats to cross the border !

Have a good trip. Hope the weather is kind.

• Like 3

Thanks again especially Scotchopper. Great advice.

Trip all booked up now. Plumped for the Premier Inn and will just taxi it to the stadium and back.

My wife doesn't like football or speedway but hopefully a mate will be making the trip with me. He's not especially a speedway fan but he's trying to source an Old Firm ticket. If he can, he'll come with me (if anyone can help with that, please message me).

Just hoping the weather gods are kind!!!

• Like 1