British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Rye House V King's Lynn 15/04/17

Well arguably that was the worst meeting I have EVER seen for such poor racing!!

Not that bad. Not brilliant by any means, but not awful.

Did a 3 hour meeting on a dreadful, bald, dusty track with genuine concerns about rider safety at Kent a few years ago. That was far, far worse.

Not that bad. Not brilliant by any means, but not awful.

Did a 3 hour meeting on a dreadful, bald, dusty track with genuine concerns about rider safety at Kent a few years ago. That was far, far worse.

Saw some shockers during the 2005 PL title winning season at Rye, gate and go against teams that were beat before a wheel was turned. Rye was a fortress then and the crowds ate it up.

Every meeting I've seen at Leicester has been dreadful

Edited by Shads

Saw some shockers during the 2005 PL title winning season at Rye, gate and go against teams that were beat before a wheel was turned. Rye was a fortress then and the crowds ate it up.

I know Sommelier is a huge speedway fan and clocks up many, many meetings a year so I am very surprised that's the worst he has ever seen. He must avoid certain tracks :D

It wasn't brilliant but I wouldn't even class it as bad. In addition, I don't think it would take much to sort the track out and given the major investment in the stadium and the need to retain that remarkable attendance I'd put it top of the list.

That Kent meeting will remain long in my memory more for the way that rider safety was put seriously at risk than the actual dreadful meeting itself.

What do you think to the Rye track Shads? Is it the best it can be now iyo?

It's easy for me to just be negative about the stadium and track cos we lost. I have to say 2 negatives though, first one is how the lights in the toilets (the only toilets that disabled folk can get into as the others have steps up) behind the 3rd bend were OFF at the end of the meeting and the tannoy system on the 1st bend was not clear at all.

Should add a thank you to Rye House for accommodating our Supporters Club minibus.

Also was good to meet and stand with our mates from Poole 😉

Edited by Trees

It wasn't that bad.

Track wasn't brilliant but probably appears to be the worse meeting ever when your two big hitters don't make an impression.

• Like 1

I know Sommelier is a huge speedway fan and clocks up many, many meetings a year so I am very surprised that's the worst he has ever seen. He must avoid certain tracks :D

It wasn't brilliant but I wouldn't even class it as bad. In addition, I don't think it would take much to sort the track out and given the major investment in the stadium and the need to retain that remarkable attendance I'd put it top of the list.

That Kent meeting will remain long in my memory more for the way that rider safety was put seriously at risk than the actual dreadful meeting itself.

I'll try & give you a honest answer to your post, this is no disrespect to Robson, but ht1 Holder 2012 WC didn't get near him! Lambert the TR holder could make NO impression on Perks in ht4! Good on Perks, I'm English through & through & very pleased for the lad, but come on!!

Biggest crowd (by far) I have ever seen at Rye House. Racing was close but there wasn't much passing - big blue line on the third bend and all the grip on the outside of the 4th and if you got on both you weren't going to get caught.

Kennett was superb - quite possibly the best I have seen him ride because he didn't look like getting beaten. Perks, Rose, Porsing & Robson impressive, Branford unbelievably lucky when he fell in heat 7.

When we had a 1-7 that was untouchable at Rye 1977-80 thats what the crowds were like most weeks but when the rivals like Newcastle, Mildenhall Eastbourne etc there were far more in, check the old photos if you don't believe it. Great meeting for Edward, Perks is a real surprise for me how well he has done and Nicholls team riding with Perks again was superb. Porsing shone for Lynn but perhaps we see the wisdom of Matt Ford in not including Holder on 12.53 as he will be lucky to average over 8.5 shocking display from a former world champion in a very watered down league.

Anytime you let Edward kennett get a full 15 point max against you then you deserve nothing! Embarrassing letting that happen

Obviously you haven't seen Kennett around Rye before. On his day when he is really on it he is a match for anyone from any gate. Not sure which of Lynn's riders you were embarrassed about

• Like 1

Rye deserved their win and we paid for a dreadful start but in terms of value for money three genuine passes in fifteen heats on a track with one line is pretty poor for eighteen quid. Don't think there was any lack of effort or commitment from any Lynn rider but the majority just couldn't find the set up to get to the first bend in front and that was absolutely vital. Good to see a big crowd and the stadium being improved, hopefully the first bend terracing will return.

Great to catch up with Shads after too many years, shame to miss HT who I would have sought out had I known he was there!

Edited by Gordon Bennett

I'll try & give you a honest answer to your post, this is no disrespect to Robson, but ht1 Holder 2012 WC didn't get near him! Lambert the TR holder could make NO impression on Perks in ht4! Good on Perks, I'm English through & through & very pleased for the lad, but come on!!

Holder isn't the rider he was before his injuries at Coventry a few years back imo.

So because two Lynn riders underperformed and couldn't make an impression on 'lesser' opposition that makes it the worst meeting you've ever seen?

I've always believed application is everything. Porsing showed what can be achieved when applied. There can be no excuse for the performances from Holder and Lambert, they were shameful. Set up is not rocket science, nor secret, merely an excuse when required.... . The fans deserve far better than that...

I can see this happening more & more. Bikes are so quick & I was told a while ago, can't handle too much grip on the tight tracks so there is not much dirt to race on. It seems unless a rider makes a mistake passing is difficult.

• Like 1

They tried to replace Karger last year, but he was injured before he'd had the required meetings.

Wells would be handy as he can gate, but my hunch is a return for NBJ. Schlein I think will end up elsewhere.

If Watt goes Schlien has to be much better value than NBJ (financially for BMR) Plus he is proven at this level and based here.

Holder isn't the rider he was before his injuries at Coventry a few years back imo.

So because two Lynn riders underperformed and couldn't make an impression on 'lesser' opposition that makes it the worst meeting you've ever seen?

Yes you have just answered my question, lesser opposition!!! Must dash, long drive from Bristol to Newcastle!

Does this mean that Rye House are good, Swindon are brilliant, Kings Lynn aren't all that, and Wolverhampton are worse?

Early season form can be hard to work out

Just think the RR for Adam Ellis makes Swindon much stronger. Wolves two dodgy reserves doesn't help them but Kings Lynn look to have a best side for me but only if Holder is taking it seriously

Last night was a poor meeting. Hardly any passing and the track was dusty. Josh Bailey is out of his depth and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. It's the best I have seen Porsing ride anywhere. Very poor result for the Stars I was hoping for at least a league point.