British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

And Kevin at the helm

Not in the slightest bit surprised. Better team, better racing, better promotion.

Then again, its hard to imagine that Redcar could go much further down hill than having Havelock in charge.

There are many sports that include "gimmicks" to enliven or enhance the entertainment value. .

Power plays, free hits, and bonus points for runs scored/wickets taken in Cricket. Rugby has its bonus points for tries. Three point scores in basketball and even horse racing has subjective weight control to provide a more 'level' playing field....

All are decreed as 'acceptable' mainly because everyone can use them to their advantage...

The issue with Speedways 'joker' is it rewards a losing performance (lose a race and score more than the winner?!) and invariably will end up, the vast majority of time, only positively impacting one team with the other not having a chance to use it...

Maybe if it has to stay, it should be open to both teams at any time as a true tactical move from the team managers?

I don't think it rewards a losing performance so much as tries to make (to use your words) a 'more level playing field'.

I have to say I didn't notice its demise in NL meetings last season, although I have never had an issue with it and lets not forget it has been in existence for 50 years or more. That doesn't necessarily make it right but it does mean that there is reasoning for it.

My real point is that you simply can't compare sports. Suggesting that a football fan would find a double point ride ridiculous and bizarre is true but in exactly the same way a speedway fan would find the offside rule (for example) equally ridiculous and bizarre.

Interesting comments from Redcar promoter Kevin Keay on the radio last night - crowds up 20% at Redcar this season (helps having a competitive team!)

Excellent News for Kevin and for Redcar.

I sincerely hope the increase in Gates continue.

How many fans are there regularly attending speedway matches ( who pay to get in ) in the UK? Is it more than or less that 50,000 do you think? I don't think it can be over 50,000 across the whole UK.

How many fans are there regularly attending speedway matches ( who pay to get in ) in the UK? Is it more than or less that 50,000 do you think? I don't think it can be over 50,000 across the whole UK.

​My estimate of overall weekly TOTAL speedway attendances would be towards 32,000.

I would say more like 24000, can only go on what I saw in the Star a couple of years ago, saying average about 800 per meeting at the 30 tracks. Half of those attend Premier tracks.May have gone down since then...or up?

Half that I reckon. There must be quite a few that don't pay to get in, sponsors, guests, volunteers etc., we will never know how many attend. Edited by beefy keefy

​My estimate of overall weekly TOTAL speedway attendances would be towards 32,000.

I would say more like 24000, can only go on what I saw in the Star a couple of years ago, saying average about 800 per meeting at the 30 tracks. Half of those attend zPremier tracks.May have gone down since then?

Half that I reckon. There must be quite a few that don't pay to get in, sponsors, guests, volunteers etc., we will never know how many attend.

Dont forget if you want to have any chance of getting to know attendance figures vote Yes in the poll,

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=84163&hl

Sorry to keep reminding everyone but the poll will have to close in the near future so get your vote cast.

Can I ask where you get this figure from?

Can I ask where you get this figure from?

Steve Park - I did make it clear that the 32,000 figure was MY ESTIMATE. It was based on how many tracks there are and each having an average of around 1,000 spectators at home meetings. I fail to see your reaction to what I made clear was little better than a guesstimate on my part! :lol:

Do you go to Speedway? 1,000 spectators over the 3 leagues? Scunny only gets around 250/350 and Edinburgh about 450/550, Worky around 400/500, Berwick around 500/600 and they are in the championship, Cradley will get more than that and Birmingham, Lakeside and Eastbourne will be close but the likes of Buxton will be around 100

I would say average attendance across the 3 leagues of about 700

• Like 1

Steve Park - I did make it clear that the 32,000 figure was MY ESTIMATE. It was based on how many tracks there are and each having an average of around 1,000 spectators at home meetings. I fail to see your reaction to what I made clear was little better than a guesstimate on my part! :lol:

In other words, a figure plucked out of thin air.

I think, as has already (kind of) been suggested, you should actually visit some tracks and see with your own eyes how many people are actually attending speedway these days.

• Like 1

That sounds like a reasonable guesstimate of average attendance across the three leagues of 700 per match. Of course it is a guesstimate because there are no published figures and even the Chairman of the BSPA questions the value of figures being quoted. At his track there has been a slow downward erosion of the crowd - noticeably so over the last three or four years. Yes, It is still a guess but when you can see several areas of the stadium devoid of people, where once fans were present, then something is missing.

That sounds like a reasonable guesstimate of average attendance across the three leagues of 700 per match. Of course it is a guesstimate because there are no published figures and even the Chairman of the BSPA questions the value of figures being quoted. At his track there has been a slow downward erosion of the crowd - noticeably so over the last three or four years. Yes, It is still a guess but when you can see several areas of the stadium devoid of people, where once fans were present, then something is missing.

Any chance of a link to where the chairman stated this? It would be interesting to know his thoughts.

I am unable to provide a link but it was during his video broadcast well before the season ( intended to be live - on Facebook? ) It was also printed in the SS following that video ( a lengthy article ) . I am unable to provide a link as my computer technical skills are basic. My apologies, but it was said and printed, it is not an urban myth.

In other words, a figure plucked out of thin air.

That's why the figures given by myself were clarified as estimates/guesstimates. A point you appear to have a problem understanding Steve Park.

Another Poster in this thread gave an estimate/guesstimate of 50,000 - far more than my estimate/guesstimate of 32,000 yet had no criticism made of his comment. Why target my lower figure? :icon_smile_clown:

And there are good reasons too why I am UNABLE to attend speedway - or any sports events for that matter - these days.

Edited by Guest