British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

It is most encouraging to see indications of improved crowd sizes. However, what are some average actual numbers and how to they compare with last season?

What differentials are they - thousands, hundreds, fifties?

Edited by Guest

Another decent crowd at Somerset last night, and some superb racing that will get them coming back for more. Best racing track for me, so many passes in one meeting, and last heat decider for Swindon win.

It is most encouraging to see indications of improved crowd sizes. However, what are some average actual numbers and how to they compare with last season?

What differentials are they - thousands, hundreds, fifties?

Another decent crowd at Somerset last night, and some superb racing that will get them coming back for more. Best racing track for me, so many passes in one meeting, and last heat decider for Swindon win.

That in itself is good news beefy keefy but still needs FIGURE clarification. For example, what were average utterances at Somerset in 2016 as compared to this weekend's 'decent crowd.' :unsure:

Edited by Guest

That in itself is good news beefy beefy but still needs FIGURE clarification. For example, what were average utterances at Somerset in 2016 as compared to this weekend's 'decent crowd.' :unsure:

We can only guess on numbers but Berwick wise I would say that last year towards the end it was down to 700 and it is now at around 1100 but been against local teams

That's an impressive ratio attendance difference allthegearbutnaeidea. If this is happening nationwide and is maintained throughout the season the sport could be about to embark on one of its 'great revivals' as in the 1960s then again (?) the 1980s. In the south Rye House have been drawing good attendances.

That's an impressive ratio attendance difference allthegearbutnaeidea. If this is happening nationwide and is maintained throughout the season the sport could be about to embark on one of its 'great revivals' as in the 1960s then again (?) the 1980s. In the south Rye House have been drawing good attendances.

For years fans have wondered why exact crowd numbers aren't published, but does it really matter? And even published figures are open to debate. For instance, do you include season ticket sales, even if the supporter doesn't attend that particular meeting? What about the under 16s who get in for free at the likes of Berwick, do you include those or just the paying public? Published crowd figures, like every other statistic, while handy to be used for comparison purposes, are just another cause for debate.

Rather than just crowd numbers, the sport should be concerned about core values like rider numbers (current and future), media exposure, keeping costs under control, providing entertainment, safety etc.

• Like 1

Somerset V Poole was massive, but then so it should have been.

Somerset V Poole was massive, but then so it should have been.

...and in a 'guesstimate' what could 'massive' be in total? 6,000 or about 1,500?

Speedway attendance's as always been a hidden mystery why ?@#

Indeed. A very good question.

Almost nothing useful can be judged at this point in the season. take good look at four consecutive matches from the start of June. That will still be only a visual judge but a more realistic one. To believe in a "great revival" is, I think, wishful thinking. The product i.e. speedway RACING with exciting passing ( at least being possible ) needs to be much more improved to hold onto existing fans as well as any new ones tempted in.

I was once told, speedway crowd figures weren't announced to hide that information from the taxman.

I was once told, speedway crowd figures weren't announced to hide that information from the taxman.

maybe bsck in the day, but these days I'd be surprised if promotions are paying too much in Tax even on accurately stated revenue ...

And tbh attendance figures alone don't tell the taxman much, a 2000 attendance could include 500 kids and 1000 concessions.

maybe bsck in the day, but these days I'd be surprised if promotions are paying too much in Tax even on accurately stated revenue ...

And tbh attendance figures alone don't tell the taxman much, a 2000 attendance could include 500 kids and 1000 concessions.

Perhaps it's been a sneaky way to avoid paying all that tax, purposely trying to reduce crowd figures these past four decades. I knew it!

Edited by moxey63

For years fans have wondered why exact crowd numbers aren't published, but does it really matter? And even published figures are open to debate. For instance, do you include season ticket sales, even if the supporter doesn't attend that particular meeting? What about the under 16s who get in for free at the likes of Berwick, do you include those or just the paying public? Published crowd figures, like every other statistic, while handy to be used for comparison purposes, are just another cause for debate.

Rather than just crowd numbers, the sport should be concerned about core values like rider numbers (current and future), media exposure, keeping costs under control, providing entertainment, safety etc.

It matters more that they aren't published because that raises the more serious question "why aren't numbers published?" There is no reason why this can't be run alongside the other concerns mentioned.

Every person passing through the gate should be counted no matter what the paying status, that is the attendance figure.

But in truth how many sports actually publish attendance figures?