British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Ipswich V Berwick, Championship 27-4-17 @ 7-30pm

Agree,some people don't seem to get that point,the riders will just not have it these days,killing the sport IMO .

If it stopped raining at 7.20 like was posted they just had to take the covers off and prepare the track like normal with a slightly delayed start time
  • Like 1

If it stopped raining at 7.20 like was posted they just had to take the covers off and prepare the track like normal with a slightly delayed start time

You think so,I disagree riders would have stood about complaining and the Ref would bottle it.Health and Safety! So the fans stand about for an hour then sent home,thats all that happens nowadays.I won't be near a meeting if there is a cloud in the sky I'm afraid.

You think so,I disagree riders would have stood about complaining and the Ref would bottle it.Health and Safety! So the fans stand about for an hour then sent home,thats all that happens nowadays.I won't be near a meeting if there is a cloud in the sky I'm afraid.

Berwick have used the track covers around 9/10 times so far and every single time a full meeting was seen...
  • Like 2

Berwick have used the track covers around 9/10 times so far and every single time a full meeting was seen...

Never been raining when meeting was due to start though.I commend Berwicks efforts but let's see what happens when that scenario occurs.Its a catch 22 situation IMO.Like I said I won't be there to

See it .

Never been raining when meeting was due to start though.I commend Berwicks efforts but let's see what happens when that scenario occurs.Its a catch 22 situation IMO.Like I said I won't be there to

See it .

It wasn't raining when it was due to start at Ippo today either by the sounds of it, something needs to be done to stop meetings being called off and of course nothing can be done about the fact that it can be raining during the meeting and I'm not saying that but track covers do work when there is rain prior to a meeting.
  • Like 1

See it .

But surely it's worth the effort using covers to get a meeting on? No brainer for me

• Like 1

But surely it's worth the effort using covers to get a meeting on? No brainer for me

Covers are fine to an extent but if it rains in the lead up to start time or during a meeting you can forget it.

Not faulting covers Berwick have been pro-active on that front but they can only do so much and rider power will alwsys prevail.

Covers are fine to an extent but if it rains in the lead up to start time or during a meeting you can forget it.

Not faulting covers Berwick have been pro-active on that front but they can only do so much and rider power will alwsys prevail.

Agree,I don't blame the Promotions,it is the riders attitude IMO.No doubt you were at Ashfield last season KO cup with Monarchs a shower before the meeting track was Ok a little drizzle during meeting decided after Ht13 to have track inspection( rain had stopped) graded track ran Ht 14 good race riders in no trouble racing,then abandoned meeting without running Ht 15.nobody I spoke too knows why.Treating fans like mugs.There is no chance of any meeting being completed if it is raining nowadays,Only my opinion.

Agree,I don't blame the Promotions,it is the riders attitude IMO.No doubt you were at Ashfield last season KO cup with Monarchs a shower before the meeting track was Ok a little drizzle during meeting decided after Ht13 to have track inspection( rain had stopped) graded track ran Ht 14 good race riders in no trouble racing,then abandoned meeting without running Ht 15.nobody I spoke too knows why.Treating fans like mugs.There is no chance of any meeting being completed if it is raining nowadays,Only my opinion.

Remember it well my opinion was Edinburgh wanted that called off long before it was but did not expect the ref to suspend it for track work.

That is the exception rather than the norm though the rider safety is paramount statement whilst is correct they use that card at every opportunity im my opinion refs need to grow a pair and be more harsh on desicions regarding conditions.

• Like 1

It wasn't raining when it was due to start at Ippo today either by the sounds of it, something needs to be done to stop meetings being called off and of course nothing can be done about the fact that it can be raining during the meeting and I'm not saying that but track covers do work when there is rain prior to a meeting.

It did cease for a bit around 7.20 but there were intermitment spells of wet stuff again after.

How hard it was at the track during the time the meeting would've been on Im not sure - I was a few miles away by then.

Granted there was a chance covers MAY have allowed this meeting to be on but by no means certain.

I also cant remember another call off in the last few years where a call off at Foxhall would've been prevented - rain has always been falling throughout.

Generally Ipswich have a very good record of getting meetings on even in challenging conditions wherever possible.

I remember a sky meeting at lakeside a couple of years ago. The riders were at the tapes for heat 11 ready to race, yet were called back to the pits and the meeting was abandoned. This was despite improving track conditions and faster race times.

Going by the details on the website it continued to rain at Foxhall until around 8pm so in that case covers would make no difference.

It was...I was there...it continued to rain until around 8