British Speedway Forum

Speedway Magazines Over The Years

The literal translation is "The problem is TWK that if language didn't change and progress we'd still all be speaking like this."

Edited by norbold

Me. :o;):D :D :D

Can we go off topic and talk about who was the better rider Briggo or Ove or is that not aloud WK.??😀😜🤓 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Can we go off topic and talk about who was the better rider Briggo or Ove or is that not aloud WK.??

I saw both Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin race against each other many times in the 1950s and early 1960s. TBH it is very difficult to pass an opinion as to who was the better rider - both were top class performers. But if I was pressed with a 'you must answer this' question I think it would be Fundin by the smallest of margins.

I saw both Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin race against each other many times in the 1950s and early 1960s. TBH it is very difficult to pass an opinion as to who was the better rider - both were top class performers. But if I was pressed with a 'you must answer this' question I think it would be Fundin by the smallest of margins.

Dont ask Norbold the same question 😀😀i can remember Briggo whipping Ove at the Abbey in his Wembley days but every dog has his day but seriously Ove was superior just.😂😤 Edited by Sidney the robin

While we debate the great riding of Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs during the mid-1950s to mid-1960s, there is another name thats need to be brought in to the debate: how did England's Peter Craven fit into his clashes against them?

While we debate the great riding of Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs during the mid-1950s to mid-1960s, there is another name thats need to be brought in to the debate: how did England's Peter Craven fit into his clashes against them?

I know Craven had a great head to head record against Ove but Ove,Craven,Mirac,Briggo had to be the men of the 50s ??

I know Craven had a great head to head record against Ove but Ove,Craven,Mirac,Briggo had to be the men of the 50s ??

Mid to late 50s. Jack Young was the man of the early 50s.

• Like 1

Mid to late 50s. Jack Young was the man of the early 50s.

Spot on as usual Norbold hard to pick a order though dont you think ? Young won in 51/52, but from 53/59 the other four won 6 titles and 8 rostrum places as you said Young would be high up on anyone's list.😀 Edited by Sidney the robin

​Aside from the merits of great riders in the mid-1950s to mid-1960s, how does the 'best team' aspect of this era come into focus. By and large, IMO that the honour can only go to Wimbledon. They seemingly won everything there was to offer in that period, being well served by riders like Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Geoff Mardon, Ron How and others of top calibre.

Spot on as usual Norbold hard to pick a order though dont you think ? Young won in 51/52, but from 53/59 the other four won 6 titles and 8 rostrum places as you said Young would be high up on anyone's list.

Indeed, Sidney. We should also add Fred Williams to the early 50s. Two World Championship wins plus one runner-up spot. Can't be bad!

Edited by norbold

...I enjoy taking threads off topic!

​...and you seem to be seeing your wish fulfilled?

Can we go off topic and talk about who was the better rider Briggo or Ove or is that not aloud WK.??

...and your wish has also been fulfilled. The matter you raised brought forward some excellent comments. Now I have one - it concerns Long Track racing. Who was the better rider: Basse Hveem (Norway) mainly in the 1950s, or in later years Egon Muller (Germany)?

Edited by Guest

​...and you seem to be seeing your wish fulfilled?

...and your wish has also been fulfilled. The matter you raised brought forward some excellent comments. Now I have one - it concerns Long Track racing. Who was the better rider: Basse Hveem (Norway) mainly in the 1950s, or in later years Egon Muller (Germany)?

Maier, could he be mentioned?

​Aside from the merits of great riders in the mid-1950s to mid-1960s, how does the 'best team' aspect of this era come into focus. By and large, IMO that the honour can only go to Wimbledon. They seemingly won everything there was to offer in that period, being well served by riders like Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Geoff Mardon, Ron How and others of top calibre.

Briggs has been noted as a poor team rider (Selfish mentioned) Mirac i know was a great team rider how does Ove,Craven rate on that question team riding skills.?

Indeed, Sidney. We should also add Fred Williams to the early 50s. Two World Championship wins plus one runner-up spot. Can't be bad!

Often forgotten.

Maier, could he be mentioned?

Of course he could Sid.One of the greats.Hofmeister in the 50s won 3 European titles and finished behind Hveem for silver on another occasion

Then you had Poschenreider who also won 3 titles on the trot.He also finished behind Ivan twice

Then came what was really the great era for Longtrack

Egon,Maier,Wiggy,Tatum and Barth all winning multiple titles.Even recently Joonas Kylmäkorpi doing what no other rider has ever managed and winning 4 titles in a row.But i think any fair commentator would say the scene nowadays isn't any where near as strong as it used to be

But all in all can we say that Gerd Riss winning an amazing 8 titles from 1991 to 2009 puts him at the very top?He was also quite a decent speedway rider

• Like 1

Of course he could Sid.One of the greats.Hofmeister in the 50s won 3 European titles and finished behind Hveem for silver on another occasion

Then you had Poschenreider who also won 3 titles on the trot.He also finished behind Ivan twice

Then came what was really the great era for Longtrack

Egon,Maier,Wiggy,Tatum and Barth all winning multiple titles.Even recently Joonas Kylmäkorpi doing what no other rider has ever managed and winning 4 titles in a row.But i think any fair commentator would say the scene nowadays isn't any where near as strong as it used to be

But all in all can we say that Gerd Riss winning an amazing 8 titles from 1991 to 2009 puts him at the very top?He was also quite a decent speedway rider

You could and his son has also done a great job, dont know what you think both are good but i always thought Mark would make a better speedway rider than Erik.??
  • Like 1

Briggs has been noted as a poor team rider (Selfish mentioned) Mirac i know was a great team rider how does Ove,Craven rate on that question team riding skills?

Fundin didn't know the meaning of the phrase team riding!