British Speedway Forum

Speedway Magazines Over The Years

Fundin didn't know the meaning of the phrase team riding!

Maybe if someone had explained it in old Saxon he might have understood?Just saying like :P

Fundin didn't know the meaning of the phrase team riding!

Did he always nab the best gate? there was a sarcastic mention of this by a young Jessup he said riding with Ove was like riding another away rider.

Maybe if someone had explained it in old Saxon he might have understood?Just saying like :P

Well I couldn't do it. I could have explained in old English though.

Did he always nab the best gate? there was a sarcastic mention of this by a young Jessup he said riding with Ove was like riding another away rider.

Yes, I think there are many Norwich riders who would agree with the young Jessup!

Take a trip 'Down Memory Lane' in regard to the various magazines that have covered speedway over the years.

Click on image for more information in regard to the publication.

https://www.speedwayfiction.co.uk/speedwaymagazines.html

​Weekly magazines not listed are: Broadsider, Speedway Reporter.

There were also Monthly publications: Monthly Speedway Star, Monthly Speedway World, Monthly Speedway Reporter.

Plus: Vintage Speedway Magazine, Classic Speedway, Backtrack.

::: Did any BSF Poster read any of these magazines - include the 'Speedway Star'. If so, which of them and what were their good and bad points?

What I remember most about the Broadsider was its excellent winter coverage of racing in Australia. I think that its publishing years were from 1946 until the end of the 1950 season.

The Speedway World also had excellent Australian coverage as I remember for the years 1947 to 1958 when it then turned more of its publishing focus to stock car racing.

Edited by Guest

Wasn't there a speedway/ice hockey magazine?

Wasn't there a speedway/ice hockey magazine?

That's an interesting point iris123. I recall that in the speedway close season Speedway News, Speedway Gazette, Speedway Star and I am fairly certain Speedway World also covered ice hockey in that sport's season.

In the ice hockey season some of the speedway magazines added the word ICE to their titles.

I also think there was 'a solo' ice hockey magazine in the late 1940s early 1950s period. I believe its title was 'Ice Hockey World' and have a vague - extremely - memory that it came from the same publisher as 'Speedway World'.

Edited by Guest

Now you're both going off subject and talking about Speedway Magazines Over The Years! :wink::P:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Take a trip 'Down Memory Lane' in regard to the various magazines that have covered speedway over the years.

Click on image for more information in regard to the publication.

https://www.speedwayfiction.co.uk/speedwaymagazines.html

​Weekly magazines not listed are: Broadsider, Speedway Reporter.

There were also Monthly publications: Monthly Speedway Star, Monthly Speedway World, Monthly Speedway Reporter.

Plus: Vintage Speedway Magazine, Classic Speedway, Backtrack.

::: Did any BSF Poster read any of these magazines - include the 'Speedway Star'. If so, which of them and what were their good and bad points?

​There could have been other speedway magazines in the pre-WW2 era, for the years 1928-39?

Additionally, pre-WW2 the 'trade press' both The Motorcycle and Motor Cycling gave extensive coverage to speedway racing.

And in more recent times, Motorcycle News has given speedway a lot of publicity - especially in that golden era of the 1960s when the task was so brilliantly handled by the late Peter Arnold.

I have had this Link forwarded to me in regard to the correct name of Peter Arnold:

http://www.defunctsp...n part four.htm

Edited by Guest

I seem to recall from the start of the 1947 a magazine titled 'Speedway'which lasted for only about six issues. It was owned and edited by, again from memory, a journalist names Ken Wheeler. It was priced for just threepence, and was only eight unstapled pages. In size the pages were also half that of the other speedway magazines of the period.

I doubt very much if any other followers of this thread recall the publication - it was 70 years ago.

Edited by Guest

Guest compost

That's an interesting point iris123. I recall that in the speedway close season Speedway News, Speedway Gazette, Speedway Star and I am fairly certain Speedway World also covered ice hockey in that sport's season.

In the ice hockey season some of the speedway magazines added the word ICE to their titles.

I also think there was 'a solo' ice hockey magazine in the late 1940s early 1950s period. I believe its title was 'Ice Hockey World' and have a vague - extremely - memory that it came from the same publisher as 'Speedway World'.

For a list of UK Ice Hockey mags try -

http://www.ihjuk.co.uk/magazines.html

I used to get the Speedway Star in the 'summer' and Ice Hockey News in the 'winter'.

Interesting to see the editor of the Ice Hockey News in the period 2000-2002

When he was at Reading I never rated Jessup as a team man (so maybe he got some ideas from Fundin ?)

Edited by compost