British Speedway Forum

Back in 1982 the Speedway Star asked me to contribute my first match report - a match between Hackney and Reading. Tragically it was the night that Denny Pyeatt lost his life at Waterden Road. I wish I could forget the memory. Thankfully Dave Welch was around and he very kindly submitted the report for me.

A few years earlier my wife had been chatting to a rider in the pits at Hackney just before he went out for his next race. It was Vic Harding.....

This can be such a viciously cruel sport. Another very sad connection is that Kevin Holden was in the first match I ever saw, Rayleigh v Romford in June 1971.

Thankfully the sport has given me so many wonderful memories over the years but .....well, you know....

• Like 2

I thought he was on loan to Oxford like Malc ? was he not a Swindon asset.?

Yes you are correct Sid...however Kevin was contracted to ride for Oxford (that was the loan agreement for seasons 1976 & 77) but choose to miss a match that he was contracted to ride in preferring to ride for his parent team instead therefore breaking the agreement (I think that it was only for a second half ride but may be wrong...memory and all that!)

I think 1969/75 were the years not sure Steve will correct me.

I certainly recall the Champions Trophy being held at Cowley between 1973 and 1975. The £100 placed on the 1973 event was a winner take all I recall...which was a fair amount of money back then!

The big Individual meeting at Cowley used to be 'The Champions Trophy'...prize money of £100!

I have no idea in what seasons 'The Champions Trophy' was contested with its £100 prize money. But remember spending differentials have changed over the years. If the event was staged in 1970 for example, its spending value was equal to £1,512 in today's terms.

I think 1969/75 were the years not sure Steve will correct me.

I certainly recall the Champions Trophy being held at Cowley between 1973 and 1975. The £100 placed on the 1973 event was a winner take all I recall...which was a fair amount of money back then!

Comparisons for the spending power of £100 compared to the present are:

1973 = £845.56

1974 = £726.86

1975 = £586.50

:::: I assume that the massive drop in value of £100 in successive years was due to the rapid increase in inflation?

Edited by Guest

Yes you are correct Sid...however Kevin was contracted to ride for Oxford (that was the loan agreement for seasons 1976 & 77) but choose to miss a match that he was contracted to ride in preferring to ride for his parent team instead therefore breaking the agreement (I think that it was only for a second half ride but may be wrong...memory and all that!)

Had a look back the two programmes i had and went to were 1974/75 -ROLL OF HONOUR 1969/( The Champions Trophy.)1.Briggs 2.Olsen 3.Persson. 1970. 1.Michanek. 2.Briggs 3.Olsen. 1971/no meeting. 1972./ no meeting. 1973. 1. Betts. 2.Olsen 3.Holmqvist. for a winner take all 100 pound. 1974.100 pound prize money. 1.Olsen. 2.Collins. 3. Ashby. the last one- 1975. The Wally Searl 100 pound Champions trophy. 1.Crump. 2.Eide. 3. Autrey.
  • Like 1

Had a look back the two programmes i had and went to were 1974/75 -ROLL OF HONOUR 1969/( The Champions Trophy.)1.Briggs 2.Olsen 3.Persson. 1970. 1.Michanek. 2.Briggs 3.Olsen. 1971/no meeting. 1972./ no meeting. 1973. 1. Betts. 2.Olsen 3.Holmqvist. for a winner take all 100 pound. 1974.100 pound prize money. 1.Olsen. 2.Collins. 3. Ashby. the last one- 1975. The Wally Searl 100 pound Champions trophy. 1.Crump. 2.Eide. 3. Autrey.

Thanks Sid for that! Forgot about Wally Searl...I seem to recall he was Trevor Geer's main sponsor also.

Thanks Sid for that! Forgot about Wally Searl...I seem to recall he was Trevor Geer's main sponsor also.

Didnt realise looking back how many WC qualifying rounds there were loads certainly at Oxford and Swindon.But the good thing was some of the rounds looked weak but you always had at least four stars in each ie Briggs Middleton, Ashby, Kilby, Wilson the crowds always held up.And there was still a chance for the underdog to compete something that is missing today.

Sadly, it looks as though the original debate re Kevin Holden has now been forgotten? As happens so often these days we now have "...a debate within a debate..." of something completely unrelated to the OP? :sad:

As I see it the unrelated topic is interesting and deserving of a thread of its own rather than being lost in a completely unrelated subject.

Edited by Guest

Didnt realise looking back how many WC qualifying rounds there were loads certainly at Oxford and Swindon.But the good thing was some of the rounds looked weak but you always had at least four stars in each ie Briggs Middleton, Ashby, Kilby, Wilson the crowds always held up.And there was still a chance for the underdog to compete something that is missing today.

...plus, of course, the Midland Riders Championship rounds and Final.