British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Coventry Possibly To Join Nl

Are there enough riders of NL standard to be shared out amongst an increasing number of tracks?

I guess it depends on what Coventry want to do. Will they want to develop the youngsters (if there are enough to go round) or will they want to "do a Stoke" and become a Retirement Home for those too old to hack it any more in the Championship.

Maybe Coventry and Stoke could be founder members of a Seniors League?

Whats the obsession with age all about , so a few guys will be in the twilight of their career and will pass on years of experience ,people will get to see known faces ,and speedway gets to keep some of its stalwarts for a few extra years . can't see anything but win ,win myself .

• Like 5

Are there enough riders of NL standard to be shared out amongst an increasing number of tracks?

I guess it depends on what Coventry want to do. Will they want to develop the youngsters (if there are enough to go round) or will they want to "do a Stoke" and become a Retirement Home for those too old to hack it any more in the Championship.

Maybe Coventry and Stoke could be founder members of a Seniors League?

Included in our Club asset base are:

Conor Dwyer

Dan Greenwood

Kyle Roberts

Ryan Terry-Daley

Hardly veterans

Of course Laurence Rogers has moved on, which lowers the average age somewhat ........

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 2

Isn't there a limit to the number of clubs in the national league?

I can only see the number of clubs wanting to race in the NL increasing in years to come.

I can only see the number of clubs wanting to race in the NL increasing in years to come.

I think a lot of people have suggested over the past few years merging the top 2 leagues and splitting north/south , I can see that happening with an expanded National league

So it seems there is a basis of some truth in the story of NL racing at Brandon. Astonishing to say the least but good news for the sport

if the stadium continues racing at any level

• Like 1

New clubs? Or Premiership & Championship looking for a cheaper cost base to prolong their existence?

Think things through, if the former, where are the riders coming from to fill all the team places around the country? It's all very well saying "We are Coventry, we have 4 riding assets (which will be lost like Birmingham lost their assets a few years ago) but that's 3 out of 7 team slots still to fill and 4 other vacancies elsewhere in the league to be filled too. If it's the Premiership and Championship teams "droping down" then how can that be done without the rebalancing of the whole country's rider base, so that more of the current riders, some of whom are in the PL and CL will have to become the top end of more NL teams. This will only push up the aggregate cost for all teams at the NL, resulting in those at the ragged edge of financial viability like Stoke and Buxton, possibly being unable to continue. So what would be good about that?

• Like 1

New clubs? Or Premiership & Championship looking for a cheaper cost base to prolong their existence?

Think things through, if the former, where are the riders coming from to fill all the team places around the country? It's all very well saying "We are Coventry, we have 4 riding assets (which will be lost like Birmingham lost their assets a few years ago) but that's 3 out of 7 team slots still to fill and 4 other vacancies elsewhere in the league to be filled too. If it's the Premiership and Championship teams "droping down" then how can that be done without the rebalancing of the whole country's rider base, so that more of the current riders, some of whom are in the PL and CL will have to become the top end of more NL teams. This will only push up the aggregate cost for all teams at the NL, resulting in those at the ragged edge of financial viability like Stoke and Buxton, possibly being unable to continue. So what would be good about that?

Think the only way is to keep the Nl level basically as it is, and have one North/South championship quality league above. If the likes of Poole, and the bigger clubs finally realise that speedway in this country can't support the wages of Gp and top line riders like Holder, Doyle ,Lindgren etc the better chance it has of lasting a few more years. Wages are the key, run them within your means whether that's at championship or nl level. That's why the nl has gone from strength to strength, but it has to retain the likes of Buxton, IOW etc, not at the expense of bigger clubs coming 'down'.I know that could be said to a degree with Birmingham and my Eastie, but I think generally they have gone with the ethos of the league. Brennen, Powell, Wood, JPB, Hume just to name a few of the young riders they've helped on . Think Coventry are a slightly different case from a team dropping down as they're not a club riding at all at the moment. Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Pretty confident although not certain, that any assets owned by Coventry when they folded will now belong to the bspa.

Pretty confident although not certain, that any assets owned by Coventry when they folded will now belong to the bspa.

Sure you're right unless the rules have changed recently.

Isn't there a limit to the number of clubs in the national league?

Yes 12.

Hence the Belle Vue and/or Coventry arrangement at the AGM, where whichever team was able to race would have the 12th place and if both were able to race they'd share a league place between them.

They didn't fold. If they'd gone bust owing money the assets would go to the BSPA. But they haven't. They're still solvent (allegedly) and just don't have a stadium, so the licence and assets are just on ice. I think if they don't return to racing in the next 2 seasons they have to sell the assets to other clubs or they go back to the BSPA then.

• Like 1

Yes 12.

Hence the Belle Vue and/or Coventry arrangement at the AGM, where whichever team was able to race would have the 12th place and if both were able to race they'd share a league place between them.

They didn't fold. If they'd gone bust owing money the assets would go to the BSPA. But they haven't. They're still solvent (allegedly) and just don't have a stadium, so the licence and assets are just on ice. I think if they don't return to racing in the next 2 seasons they have to sell the assets to other clubs or they go back to the BSPA then.

Think Eastbourne ceased to have assets the moment they went to the Nl, as did Birmingham so assume the same would happen to Coventry . Didn't think they were frozen just lost them or had to transfer them. Also the likes of Wood and Brennen can't be assets which seems a bit unfair as loan fees in the future could help keep Nl clubs continuing to bring on the like. Edited by gazzac

Think Eastbourne ceased to have assets the moment they went to the Nl, as did Birmingham so assume the same would happen to Coventry . Didn't think they were frozen just lost them or had to transfer them. Also the likes of Wood and Brennen can't be assets which seems a bit unfair as loan fees in the future could help keep Nl clubs continuing to bring on the like.

If I remember rightly Eastbourne's licence was only allowed on ice for 1 year. Before this period expired they transferred all assets to lakeside to hold for them. In the event, they never went back to Elite so will have stayed at Lakeside until they dropped out also.

Expect Eastbourne may ride Championship though aswell possibly next year as they will get decent attendances for both leagues, plus will mean likes of Tom and Georgie will be the Championship reserves.

Not too sure about that really, think they're happy where they are at the moment, financially and attendance wise.