British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

Reason For The Poll On Forum

There is much discussion on the BSF on what is wrong with the way speedway is run today. I would like to see, from time to time, these opinions culminating in a vote so that, just maybe, the powers that be will see a clear picture of what a large group of speedway supporters are wanting.

To get the ball rolling (or wheels turning) I thought an anonymous vote on whether or not to publish attendance figures.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=84163&hl=

I suspect that if the real figures were known the media would pay even less attention to Speedway.

Obviously more people would like to know than wouldn't, that's natural curiosity but I don't really see what purpose is being served.

• Like 1

I suspect that if the real figures were known the media would pay even less attention to Speedway.

Obviously more people would like to know than wouldn't, that's natural curiosity but I don't really see what purpose is being served.

You make a very valid point foamfence but there are many valid points on many subjects on this forum and it is difficult to know what is the majorities opinion. There are prolific posters and there are non poster this is just a way of hearing everyone's view, maybe a different topic should have been used and could be in future polls.

There is much discussion on the BSF on what is wrong with the way speedway is run today. I would like to see, from time to time, these opinions culminating in a vote so that, just maybe, the powers that be will see a clear picture of what a large group of speedway supporters are wanting.

Many many issues mate...

I have stated somewhere else on this Forum that if Attendances are good - then yes you could publish them.

Sadly Speedway is not exactly well supported at the moment so for that reason - I Voted 'NO'.

Who would want to drag themselves along to a Track knowing that there would not be many people there?

Personally - I would not publish the Gates at Speedway because if you did it could very well have the effect of putting people off.

You know the sort of thing - "What - there were only 347 people there last week - it can't be that good - I think I'll give it a miss".

This could happen.

So, in my view let them come along in ignorance of the numbers attending - at least that way they will take a look - they may even like it and become regulars - who knows?

• Like 2

What needs to be remembered is that attendance figures are not necessarily the same as paying customers because many clubs give free tickets to sponsors and to help promote the club. These will be clicks on the turnstiles but not necessarily reflect in the revenue stream so as long as the BSF doesn't try to draw financial conclusions from the attendance figures there is no harm done (or is that why people really want to know).

Manchester City regularly 'sell out' the Etihad..

The TV pictures every week however tell a somewhat different story...

Giving tickets away, or selling them as BOGOF's or at £5, gives City credibility when it comes to attendance figures quoted.. (Although it does generate a certain amount of pee taking from other teams' fans)...

Arsenal last night had 'over 59000 tickets sold'! With, in reality, about 40000 in actual attendance..

Speedway should do the same...

The British Final at BV should be a sell out! First meeting on BT so showcase the sport...

Knock ten pound tickets out and if advance sales are not good, sell them for a fiver or even give them out for nothing in city centre Manchester. Why not do a roadshow on the Saturday and Sunday before from the City Centre?...

Advertising a 7000 crowd (whether paid full whack to get in or not) makes the Sport sound at least credible and less small time, and on TV makes it look like it's successful...

A half empty Grandstand with 300 people rattling around the back straight stand wouldn't impress any armchair non Speedway followers. Especially when they are watching 'The British Final'! With The National Title up for grabs!

A British Final where they announce the changes to the 'crowd line up' before they announce changes to the 'rider line up' wouldn't look or sound too good on the box either..

"Mr Edwards of Ardwick sends his apologies. He cannot be here tonight as his wife has gone to Bingo and he has to look after their cat, 'Ivan'".....😂

Fill the place, by hook or by crook...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 9

Would like to see gates published like most in the poll, so I don't have to count the crowd at Blunsdon every week! The crowds dont normally include some fans and sponsors who get in free. Non-league football crowds are published so why not speedway, would like to see cricket, rugby, and ice hockey crowds etc., as well.

Giving tickets away, or selling them as BOGOF's or at £5, gives City credibility when it comes to attendance figures quoted.. (Although it does generate a certain amount of pee taking from other teams' fans)...

Arsenal last night had 'over 59000 tickets sold'! With, in reality, about 40000 in actual attendance..

The British Final at BV should be a sell out! First meeting on BT so showcase the sport...

Knock ten pound tickets out and if advance sales are not good, sell them for a fiver or even give them out for nothing in city centre Manchester. Why not do a roadshow on the Saturday and Sunday before from the City Centre?...

Advertising a 7000 crowd (whether paid full whack to get in or not) makes the Sport sound at least credible and less small time, and on TV makes it look like it's successful...

A half empty Grandstand with 300 people rattling around the back straight stand wouldn't impress any armchair non Speedway followers. Especially when they are watching 'The British Final'! With The National Title up for grabs!

A British Final where they announce the changes to the 'crowd line up' before they announce changes to the 'rider line up' wouldn't look or sound too good on the box either..

"Mr Edwards of Ardwick sends his apologies. He cannot be here tonight as his wife has gone to Bingo and he has to look after their cat, 'Ivan'".....

The cat is called Alan not Ivan.

• Like 1

To get the ball rolling (or wheels turning) I thought an anonymous vote on whether or not to publish attendance figures.

43 Yes, 17 No, to date.

"Mr Edwards of Ardwick sends his apologies. He cannot be here tonight as his wife has gone to Bingo and he has to look after their cat, 'Ivan'".....

Not just the British Final, I've thought for a long time that every match shown live on TV should be promoted like hell to get as big a crowd in as possible. If this means reduced admission fine. Try and get a meeting sponsor to make up for any reduction in income. With the big crowd and TV coverage the sponsor gets good exposure. The sport also looks a lot better to TV companies and any potential fans / sponsors watching.

One thing I have said for years including tweeting sky sports and a few clubs and dvd companys. Is that...

Why do they not use their main camera on the back straight. Places like wolves spring to mind where you can only watch on one straight. When a good race happens or a news story pops up, action shots and brief clips will show a reasonable sized crowd rather then a car park or empty grass banks.

• Like 2

One thing I have said for years including tweeting sky sports and a few clubs and dvd companys. Is that...

Why do they not use their main camera on the back straight. Places like wolves spring to mind where you can only watch on one straight. When a good race happens or a news story pops up, action shots and brief clips will show a reasonable sized crowd rather then a car park or empty grass banks.

What a very good idea - I am surprised that they don't do that. :t::approve: :approve:

I must admit that I had never thought about it.

The attendance figure poll has been running for two weeks now and stands at 70 - 30 on favour of publishing attendance figures.

Now that the feelings of supporters have been made known on this subject maybe its time to think about closing this poll and starting another on a subject where there are clear cut "Yes" or "No" options such as "Should tactical rides be stopped?" (or any other questionable topic).

Is there any interest in getting the feelings of all members through a poll and not just the ones who speak out by posting?

Not just the British Final, I've thought for a long time that every match shown live on TV should be promoted like hell to get as big a crowd in as possible. If this means reduced admission fine. Try and get a meeting sponsor to make up for any reduction in income. With the big crowd and TV coverage the sponsor gets good exposure. The sport also looks a lot better to TV companies and any potential fans / sponsors watching.

Get it back on mainstream tv so every kid can watch it otherwise it stays a minority sport.

• Like 1