British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CookieIpswich

Demographics

Would anyone be willing to complete a basic questionnaire so I can put together information on the demographics of the average speedway fan.

There is no information on this anywhere, I don't think the BSPA has any info on this neither do Go Speed

Would anyone be willing to complete a basic questionnaire so I can put together information on the demographics of the average speedway fan.

There is no information on this anywhere, I don't think the BSPA has any info on this neither do Go Speed

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Speedway

This was doing the rounds a while back, no surprises really, majority are men over 50

There was a thread about it

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=78248&hl=yougov&do=findComment&comment=2547841

Here's an extract from the 2007 Marketing Report which the BSPA commissioned:

3.30 What do we know about the fans?

A couple of years ago a consumer research project was commissioned the BSPA and clubs were asked to distribute questionnaires. Again, many clubs were not particularly co-operative so the results will have to be taken with a pinch of salt. However, they do give a rough guidance:

70% of people who attend speedway meetings are male and 30% female. 20% bring their children

81% attend 10 or more meetings per season confirming that the sport is down to its hard core fans.

Speedway fans are not particularly high earners with 31% earning below £20k and 39% earning between £21k – 40k. Their relatively low socio-demographics are also confirmed by the fact that 63% read The Star, The Sun or The Mirror.

Also 31% have no qualifications and another 45% are educated to GCSE/O Level. Only 9% hold a university degree.

17% are 19-24 years old, 21% 25-34 years old and 23% 35-49 years old.

All in all, this does represent a segment of society which is not particularly interesting to sponsors.

Around 20% of people attend meetings with their kids, 63% with family adults and 72% attend with 1-3 other people.

What is interesting is the response the respondents gave when asked why attended speedway meetings:

Support the home team 30%

The atmosphere 23%

A good night out 20%

Quality of the teams 10%

Family night out 6%

Other 11%

Total 100%

Where speedway differs significantly from other sports is the relatively little importance support for the home team actually plays, whereas the actual evening out, the smell, the noise etc is much more important. Having discussed this with die-hards, casual and lapsed speedway goers and never-beens it is quite interesting that, despite the inadequate facilities, catering and all the other issues watching live speedway can engender an excitement that developed and marketed the right way could be one of the key strands in the turnaround of the sport.

What is also interesting is that the die-hards have a strong support for the sport as such and not necessarily for a particular club.

But how does speedway become "corporately" acceptable, so that a night at the local track is an alternative to other options such as horse racing? Until you've been, it's hard to appreciate how the smell, the noise and the excitement create one of the most vibrant atmospheres in all sport, but empty stands and dilapidated stadiums have trouble matching a nice marquee at Haydock. I'm not suggesting that speedway is on a level with paintballing, but perhaps it needs to be more imaginative in the way it targets work-related parties who want to go out for a good time.”

John Inverdale, The Daily Telegraph

• Like 2

Only 31% uneducated? I'd have thought it'd have been much higher than that!!

• Like 1

So most earn between 21-40k. pretty good, considering the average wage is about 28k now, and this survey is 10 years old. Looking at some of the nice motors in the Abbey car park not surprised. Some would like to go but can't afford 17 quid. 31% no qualifications, half cant read the redtops just look at the photos. Good to see around third are females.

Two thirds are under 50, good, thought it would be about half and half. Overall a good result for the sport.

And probably 95% don't go on this forum, loads more would buy The Star weekly.

Edited by beefy keefy

" 81% attend 10 or more meetings per season confirming that the sport is down to its hard core fans."

​And that was ten years ago! The sport is now skating on the thinnest of thin ice in terms of support and numbers attending matches. All the 'spin' in the world will not change this.

"What is also interesting is that the die-hards have a strong support for the sport as such and not necessarily for a particular club."

And as the die hards - die off - as they do? With the Sky money dribbled away on star names over 15 years there is nothing left with to rebuild with however eager the current BSPA members may be. There was NO "Big Push" marketing strategy as proposed by the BSPA during the winter. Going down with the Titanic, comes to mind.