British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

Not a bad meeting, some great racing. But with all due respect to the riders on show tonight, it does not fill me with confidence of seeing many of them break into the GP series anytime soon, or Team GB getting to a SWC final again anytime soon (unless we host of course.. which I think is a silly rule).

• Like 1

I AM quite aware of that, under exceptional circumstances and there were opportunities to put him in. If there is a will there is a way. Lost opportunity to help push forward the career of a bright young talent. Just an opinion.

I agree BUT I also understand why they didn't put him in. Hopefully they will have a slight rethink on the rules for next year, one wildcard up for grabs perhaps?

Cook showed great maturity in the Final. A few years ago it may have been a first lap all or nothing gamble.

Over the years I have seen many favourites lose out due to panic setting in from a not too great start..

Tonight he got himself in the race then waited for his opportunity...

Great to see an Aces one two and special mention to Ben Barker, most entertaining rider of the night. Fence scraping at its best...

Not the best racing ever at the NSS but on a warm night after a day of blistering temperatures not many racetracks would have served up what we got tonight..

Well done the British Captain, winning tonight just adds a little more to a growing reputation. Similar maybe to Doyle, Cook hasn't been an overnight sensation but is getting better incrementally.

Now for a top eight in Cardiff to continue that upwards trend..

• Like 1

Back trolling Brum. No suprise there eh..

can you do us all a favour and go and find out the definition of the word troll. You yourself are not a troll.... you need to have some intellect to do it. Shovlar does it superbly. Pointing out that for whatever reason you used the word president instead of precedent is merely pointing out that you aren't very clever... not trolling.

Anyway back to the meeting and a deserved winner plus it bolstered my bank account! Ipswich rider on the podium after the winner last year. Well done Ben Barker on putting on the entertainment. But below Tai Cook and Lambert we are woefully short on riders.

Fantastic British Final racing. Superb from Cookie...... Cardiff just got a whole lot better!!! Well done lad

I'm not having this "he only won because of home track advantage" nonsense, especially with regards to Cook.

He's absolutely flying this season, I don't think it would have mattered where this meeting was Cook would still likely have won.

Congratulations to him on being the '2017 British Speedway Champion'.

Can't agree with would have won on any track ,because that is certainly not correct , however on this night on this track ,he was a deserving winner , man of the match for me Ben Barker , and seeing his Manager /Pit crew. I fully understand why Chris Harris has never achieved his real potential ,

• Like 1

A good meeting, well run with some great racing and not one fall. What a superb track.

Congratulations to Craig Cook, certainly Britain's No.1 at the moment and a deserved winner. Congratulations also to runner-up Steve Worrall and 3rd highest Brit Ben Barker.

Is it true that Buster Chapman blocked Daniel Bewley from being the track reserve as he thought the 18-year-old kid with 12-months experience was too good and might embarrass some of the field if he got a ride....The same Buster Chapman who doesn't think that having an Australian on the British Final rostrum is an embarrassment to British Speedway?

Watched from the second bend for the first time.

Fantastic view of riders screaming round the bend and really shows the many different lines available for passing .

Excellent meeting made even better by anAces 1-2

Some good racing but the track bias was too much.

Getting Gate 1 was vital in the 2nd half. Any half decent rider won from that gate. A huge advantage. Also with the final held at BV it is no surprise that two of their team came 1st / 2nd.

Cook is probably the form man so maybe he would have won elsewhere but as he said himself 'I should be beating everyone around here'.

• Like 2

Some good racing but the track bias was too much.

Getting Gate 1 was vital in the 2nd half. Any half decent rider won from that gate. A huge advantage. Also with the final held at BV it is no surprise that two of their team came 1st / 2nd.

Cook is probably the form man so maybe he would have won elsewhere but as he said himself 'I should be beating everyone around here'.

Is this usual for the NSS to have gate 1 so dominant?

Cook was pulling lines that nobody else was, as has been said the idea that the track has no home advantage at all is a myth.

That said they have to hold it somewhere and there is nowhere better than Belle Vue. Looking forward to Cook doing some damage at Cardiff.

Is this usual for the NSS to have gate 1 so dominant?

Not usually...

Ten out of the 20 races pre Semi and Final were won from gate one..

However six of these ten were won by riders who reached the final so any gate advantage was probably enhanced by their capability on the night..

And possibly enhanced even more by the quality of some of the riders alongside them in gates two to four, as almost half the field scored six or less and (for some), were clearly out of their depth...

I think the obvious disparity in standard meant a 'good rider' on gate one had a clear advantage rather than just being on gate one itself..

Hopefully to improve the overall spectacle next year, Lamberts transport issue will be sorted, Woffy may decide to compete once more and who knows, Holder, Doyle and Lindgren may suddenly become British!!😂

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

So please with the result last night, Cookie was the deserving winner of the everning and not just the winner of a single race that determines the British Champion... I'm sure he will ruffle a few feathers in Cardiff.

The number of times we have been told its not possible to have a decent track when the weather is hot, was truely put to bed last night. The NSS track was tremendous and shown how track should perform....

• Like 4

A deserved win for Cookie and some good racing, Ben Barker provided some excellent entertainment with his blasts round the outside, hope BT are impressed with the sport enough this season to extend their deal into the future.

• Like 1