British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

Why, ill tell you why. Just take a look how his parents had to sacrifice so much time & effort & not to mention the tens of thousands they spent for him to pursue his career in Germany when OUR governing body didn't allow him to ride. Fair play to him staying LOYAL to White Tigers

That doesn't give him the right to be "put in" to the final round of a championship because his van (or whatever) broke down before a qualifying round

Can you not see - it's a championship, there were qualifying stages, and Lambert failed to get through them - it's not an invitational open meeting to choose the "best riders" to take part

Although I don't like the idea of wildcards, I would accept seeding the top four Brits to the final, with 12 qualifying from semi-finals - but never "put in" a rider who has been eliminated in the way Lambert was

I'm interested to know the overall views on having heats 21/22 in this event (or 21-23 if there's two semis)

There's been support for the idea in the past on the forum (supposedly it's a tv thing, to build up to a climax at the end of the meeting) - would this have remained had Worrall, Schlein or Barker won heat 22 last night, thereby eliminating Cook from the GP wildcard spot?

I have always said that any meeting of 16 riders should be decided over 20 heats, top scorer the winner - although I'm very pleased Cook, the best rider, won the final last night, in some ways I was hoping he wouldn't, just to see the reaction on here!

That doesn't give him the right to be "put in" to the final round of a championship because his van (or whatever) broke down before a qualifying round

Can you not see - it's a championship, there were qualifying stages, and Lambert failed to get through them - it's not an invitational open meeting to choose the "best riders" to take part

Although I don't like the idea of wildcards, I would accept seeding the top four Brits to the final, with 12 qualifying from semi-finals - but never "put in" a rider who has been eliminated in the way Lambert was

AND can you not see there aint to many Lamberts about, I couldn't give a flying fu+k about rules, just wish to see the best ENGLISH & yeh not British riders we have in the BF, Did you enjoy the meeting last night ? Wish I knew you were going, could have had a little meet up!!!!!

• Like 1

There were Integro banners on the back straight and of course on the race jackets. Whether BT showed the banners or mentioned the sponsors is a matter for BT and not something the BSPA can control.

The track staff deserve praise for preparing a track which provided many racing lines and no dust. A rare feat after a couple of really hot days.

A very enjoyable meeting, there was an excellent atmosphere in the grandstand, some good racing with plenty of genuine passes although not as good as some of the best meetings we have seen at the NSS. Cook was a deserved winner and really seems to have made a significant step up the ladder this year. Also good see Steve Worrall doing so well in such an important meeting.

Sad see that Chapman apparently decided that Bewley, one of the programmed reserves, was too good and denied him the opportunity. He is 18, has been racing for a little over 12 months. A missed opportunity give an outstanding British prospect the chance learn from the experience of being part of a prestigious event.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

I'm interested to know the overall views on having heats 21/22 in this event (or 21-23 if there's two semis)

There's been support for the idea in the past on the forum (supposedly it's a tv thing, to build up to a climax at the end of the meeting) - would this have remained had Worrall, Schlein or Barker won heat 22 last night, thereby eliminating Cook from the GP wildcard spot?

I have always said that any meeting of 16 riders should be decided over 20 heats, top scorer the winner - although I'm very pleased Cook, the best rider, won the final last night, in some ways I was hoping he wouldn't, just to see the reaction on here!

I hate this semi-final and final nonsense. All the riders race each other over 20 heats and the top points scorer is the winner..job done.

I'm not a fan of the play-offs either, but I guess that's for another thread.

Fair enough having a grand final in the gp series because it's always been that way.

• Like 2

Would not be surprised one little bit if Lambert turns his back totally to ANY commitment in GB next year

Why do you say that?

Is this usual for the NSS to have gate 1 so dominant?

No very unusual in fact it's normally a slight disadvantage especially later in meetinfnwhen dirt lives out as riders on gate 1 often get trapped on inside kerb.

• Like 1

There were Integro banners on the back straight and of course on the race jackets. Whether BT showed the banners or mentioned the sponsors is a matter for BT and not something the BSPA can control.

The track staff deserve praise for preparing a track which provided many racing lines and no dust. A rare feat after a couple of really hot days.

A very enjoyable meeting, there was an excellent atmosphere in the grandstand, some good racing with plenty of genuine passes although not as good as some of the best meetings we have seen at the NSS. Cook was a deserved winner and really seems to have made a significant step up the ladder this year. Also good see Steve Worrall doing so well in such an important meeting.

Sad see that Chapman apparently decided that Bewley, one of the programmed reserves, was too good and denied him the opportunity. He is 18, has been racing for a little over 12 months. A missed opportunity give an outstanding British prospect the chance learn from the experience of being part of a prestigious event.

Buster doesn't make these decisions on his own, it's a committee isn't it and it was something to do with his average being too good, obviously a rule and they stuck to it just as they did with not squeezing Lambert in ........

Why, ill tell you why. Just take a look how his parents had to sacrifice so much time & effort & not to mention the tens of thousands they spent for him to pursue his career in Germany when OUR governing body didn't allow him to ride. Fair play to him staying LOYAL to White Tigers

We couldn't change the rules for under 16s just for Robert ........ his family have been uber supportive and still are, he's been a lucky guy tbh and is now reaping the rewards all round and it's great :)

No very unusual in fact it's normally a slight disadvantage especially later in meetinfnwhen dirt lives out as riders on gate 1 often get trapped on inside kerb.

Thanks Rob, I thought it was unusual. Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't dreamt riders winning from any gate in other meeting at the NSS!

Plus the disparity of riders on show meant that some of the racing, particularly in the first half, was more processional than usual.

No slight on the track you understand as the good heats delivered as expected.

Guest GiveusaB

Would 've loved to see Lambert and Bewley in the starting line-up .....BSPA destroying British speedway again....

Good luck to Cooky in Cardiff....hope he finishes as the top BRIT !

Worral and Barker should be Cardiff Reserves....complete farce if Schlein is listed !?

Cooks cut back in his 3rd ride? was a sign of his 'improvement/maturity' ! class move!

Just for all the people whinging about Rory riding in the British final, 2005 Aussie title had Adam Allott & Charlie Gjedde, 2007 had Scott Nicholls & Simon Stead, 2008 Joe Screen, Filip Sitera, Freddie Lindgren, 2010 Josh Auty & Joe Haines(joe didn't make it through the qualifier meeting), 2011 Kyle Newman. We aussie's share, why can't you lot? Peace!!!

Are there 32 British riders good enough to be considered to be British Champion. That's how many riders you need to have 2 semi-finals and a Final. Bearing in mind the number of meetings these riders have to race wouldn't it be better to give the top eight riders a free pass to the final and the field made up of one semi-final of 16 riders when the first 8 goes into the final.

Then the final will be assured of all the top riders, It will be a bigger draw to the fans and television.

If you're a top rider then you should be able to qualify. I thought last night was great, Barker was great to watch and fully deserved the final - bet the BSPA were nervous before the race, with him and Rory in it.

Edited by SPEEDY69

Just for all the people whinging about Rory riding in the British final, 2005 Aussie title had Adam Allott & Charlie Gjedde, 2007 had Scott Nicholls & Simon Stead, 2008 Joe Screen, Filip Sitera, Freddie Lindgren, 2010 Josh Auty & Joe Haines(joe didn't make it through the qualifier meeting), 2011 Kyle Newman. We aussie's share, why can't you lot? Peace!!!

Was the winner of those Aussies finals promised a wild card for a world championship GP.?????

I seen many countries championship titles as open meetings - thats fine. Its when the prize goes beyond a silver pot/money to a place representing that country in a speedway GP. Thats a bigger prize that should be just for a rider from that country.

If BSPA want to run an open championship meeting to get a better quality of rider and therefore potentially getting a bigger crowd/bigger sponsorship, then fine....but dont throw away a place in a speedway gp away to any body from any where.

Steve I'm not discussing with a racist thank you

What? Reported.