British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fred5

Rebels V Stars Fri 16th June

Agree he's been very average so far around the OTA albeit I think he's only had 3-4 meetings.

Poor meeting last night by the very high OTA standards . KL really didn't have to do much to win - Lawson apart (he was excellent again ) all the Rebels were below par.

I said we should have signed Huckenbeck the season before he signed for KL! Sign the boy up next season he loves the track.

But most riders love the OTA. We could sign up pretty much anyone with a similar average to Huckenbeck and they will quickly get dialled into the track. It's away performances that really make a difference. Do the business at home and pick up vital points away too. Would Huckenbeck do that? Not so sure.

Kerr's scores so far have been a little disappointing considering his form in the Championship and for Poole earlier in the season.

Based on who he is riding with & against, I think he is doing what the promotion hoped for. Riding with a very good heat leader, whether it be Gracz or Lawson was going to be difficult. He is, also, riding against 3 heat leaders in 3 of his rides. I think all no2's are expected to score around 4-6 points getting 3rd whenever possible & hoping to win heat 8. Any more is a bonus.

Nothing to shout about, it was basement club Somerset

No away win should be sniffed at, and we have now taken seven points from the OTA while Poole only took one and Rye & Belle Vue none.

A deserved win for the Stars last night. Slightly confused as to why Kurtz was excluded for the first bend incident with Holder when it appeared from my position that Kurtz's footrest got caught in Holder's front wheel. Although it was Holder that took a tumble, surely a case of 'first bend bunching?'

Kings Lynn certainly turned up to race hard. Their top 4 eventually proving too strong for the depleted Rebels outfit. Holder looked sharp, Lambert very fast, especially in his opening races before he faded. I haven't seen that much of Lambert, only at the OTA where he always looks impressive, but my one observation is that he seems to have the English 'disease' of being a poor gater. Hopefully this will improve over time as I recognise he is still a teenager and has great potential.

Batchelor appears to have regained his enthusiasm and looked excellent when in front. He still lacks the 'killer instinct " that the high class riders possess though. As soon as a rider gets near him pr there's a slightly risky pass to execute (and there were a few of them for him as he was very quick) the tell tale left foot reaches for the shale as a reassurance.

Huckenbeck was simply the match winner for the Stars. He attacked the track from the off and seemed to get faster as the night progressed.

The Rebels seemed a little 'down trodden' last night. Josh got filled in during heat one, Jake Allen was distinctly off colour and rider replacement offered a poor substitute for Charles Wright. Cameron Heeps was sorely missed at reserve and it was noticeable how poor Robert Branford looked. He appears to have gone backwards this season if last night's performance was anything to go by.

The racing last night was surprisingly processional until the second half of the meeting. Graczjonek' s superb pass of Holder was breathtaking. Kurt'z's wheel to wheel battle with Batchelor for all four laps, top class, and Richard Lawson's general riding throughout was imperious.

Another decent crowd at the OTA and pleasing that the crowds are returning each week despite their poor home record. I still believe a full strength Rebels team will take some beating around their home track

Just an observation on a rider who featured in the second half of the meeting for Kent Kings. I know a few Swindon fans have commented on him previously, but young Anders Rowe at 15 years old looks a brilliant prospect. Dare I say it, but the young lad has an "arm chair' racing style, so similar to a certain..... no I won't say it......;)

Excellent write up as usual ER and pretty much spot on the money... except for the Kurtz/Holder incident in my view. The way I saw it was that the correct call was made. Holder got to the bend first before Kurtz went up on the grass, got out of shape and plowed straight through Holder's front wheel. Pretty fair to say though Holder wasn't very happy about it!

I thought for the Rebels Lawson was brilliant. Don't think he's had a bad match since signing for us yet. Quite a likeable sort of rider too so brilliant stuff from him. I see there is abit of a debate about Kerr developing and I don't think he's done enough yet. Doesn't look very quick and even when he makes the gate is passed relatively easily. Tungate back for Kerr anyone? ;) 6 points from R/R probably didn't help but both our reserves were pretty poor. Allen was a million miles from the rider who top scored against Belle Vue and Branford was pathetic.

Fair play to Kings Lynn who looked a very good side. 3 heat leaders all firing and a reserve scoring at will was always going to be hard to beat. Huckenbeck was even better than the earlier match in the season though.

• Like 1

What a terrific, very readable review of the meeting THANK YOU EnglishRoundabout. For those not able to be there it was perceptive, balanced and insightful.

Always good from ER👍

But most riders love the OTA. We could sign up pretty much anyone with a similar average to Huckenbeck and they will quickly get dialled into the track. It's away performances that really make a difference. Do the business at home and pick up vital points away too. Would Huckenbeck do that? Not so sure.

Huckenbeck beat every home rider last nignt (including Lawson ) scoring paid 15 and scored paid 10 a few weeks ago at the OTA.

Disagree entirely that we could sign any rider on a similar average (5 ish ) to do the same thing - if that was the case we'd have two reserves getting double figures every week wouldnt we ? Out of the 8 home meetings we've had (16 reserve outings) a reserve has hit double figures just 3 times - Huckenbeck has done it both times his ridden.

It's not the away points we need to worry about we've lost 4 of out 7 home league meetings- the answer is at home, win your home meetings first and keep the punters happy.

• Like 1

I guess my point is that Huckenbeck looked the business no disputing that, but would he deliver this kind of performance week in week out at the OTA? I have seen many riders rack up a hatful of points in their first few meetings at Somerset, before reverting to type or at least reverting to what is their normal level of performance in the next visit.

Didn't Eric Reiss (another German) score tremendously well for Edinburgh a few years back? Since then he's pretty much struggled at Somerset. One foreign rider who's name escapes me at the moment (I'm sure Statman would have the answer) scored around 13/14 points at the OTA a season or so back, then on his next visit scored either zero or one.....

I agree with you that winning at home is imperative and this will see the turnstiles continuing to click each week, but I'm just thinking Huckenbeck in the long run, would be a Paul Starke, Todd Kurtz, Kyle Newman type rider.

• Like 1

A deserved win for the Stars last night. Slightly confused as to why Kurtz was excluded for the first bend incident with Holder when it appeared from my position that Kurtz's footrest got caught in Holder's front wheel. Although it was Holder that took a tumble, surely a case of 'first bend bunching?'

Kings Lynn certainly turned up to race hard. Their top 4 eventually proving too strong for the depleted Rebels outfit. Holder looked sharp, Lambert very fast, especially in his opening races before he faded. I haven't seen that much of Lambert, only at the OTA where he always looks impressive, but my one observation is that he seems to have the English 'disease' of being a poor gater. Hopefully this will improve over time as I recognise he is still a teenager and has great potential.

Batchelor appears to have regained his enthusiasm and looked excellent when in front. He still lacks the 'killer instinct " that the high class riders possess though. As soon as a rider gets near him pr there's a slightly risky pass to execute (and there were a few of them for him as he was very quick) the tell tale left foot reaches for the shale as a reassurance.

Huckenbeck was simply the match winner for the Stars. He attacked the track from the off and seemed to get faster as the night progressed.

The Rebels seemed a little 'down trodden' last night. Josh got filled in during heat one, Jake Allen was distinctly off colour and rider replacement offered a poor substitute for Charles Wright. Cameron Heeps was sorely missed at reserve and it was noticeable how poor Robert Branford looked. He appears to have gone backwards this season if last night's performance was anything to go by.

The racing last night was surprisingly processional until the second half of the meeting. Graczjonek' s superb pass of Holder was breathtaking. Kurt'z's wheel to wheel battle with Batchelor for all four laps, top class, and Richard Lawson's general riding throughout was imperious.

Another decent crowd at the OTA and pleasing that the crowds are returning each week despite their poor home record. I still believe a full strength Rebels team will take some beating around their home track

Just an observation on a rider who featured in the second half of the meeting for Kent Kings. I know a few Swindon fans have commented on him previously, but young Anders Rowe at 15 years old looks a brilliant prospect. Dare I say it, but the young lad has an "arm chair' racing style, so similar to a certain..... no I won't say it...... ;)

Could have something to do with the last meeting Somerset had was a Sidecar meeting, notorious for not doing tracks any favours.

I guess my point is that Huckenbeck looked the business no disputing that, but would he deliver this kind of performance week in week out at the OTA? I have seen many riders rack up a hatful of points in their first few meetings at Somerset, before reverting to type or at least reverting to what is their normal level of performance in the next visit.

Didn't Eric Reiss (another German) score tremendously well for Edinburgh a few years back? Since then he's pretty much struggled at Somerset. One foreign rider who's name escapes me at the moment (I'm sure Statman would have the answer) scored around 13/14 points at the OTA a season or so back, then on his next visit scored either zero or one.....

I agree with you that winning at home is imperative and this will see the turnstiles continuing to click each week, but I'm just thinking Huckenbeck in the long run, would be a Paul Starke, Todd Kurtz, Kyle Newman type rider.

Let's hope we win a few more home meetings hey !!! Up the Rebels

Not up to the usual OTA standards for sure. Definitely missed Charles Wright. As the weeks go by Jake is looking more out of his depth, he's not doing enough meetings and it certainly shows. Worse thing about this league, one home meeting in July worried I might lose interest.

• Like 1

Not up to the usual OTA standards for sure. Definitely missed Charles Wright. As the weeks go by Jake is looking more out of his depth, he's not doing enough meetings and it certainly shows. Worse thing about this league, one home meeting in July worried I might lose interest.

Is that right?, just one meeting, that's awful. I was all for the move to the Prem because of the lack of meetings with local teams, but not much good if your not getting your weekly fix of racing. I get withdrawal symptoms if we miss one friday😢
  • Like 1

Is that right?, just one meeting, that's awful. I was all for the move to the Prem because of the lack of meetings with local teams, but not much good if your not getting your weekly fix of racing. I get withdrawal symptoms if we miss one friday😢

Absence makes the heart grow fonder 😉

Moving up a league hasn't got masses to do with it, other than the World Cup week. There is still nearly just as many fixtures in total - however the fixture list seems to have been put together by Starman or something as it is awful right across the board.

• Like 4

:neutral:

Edited by Aroundtheboards

Aroundtheboards said " Don't give me rules are rules either, they are bent when it suits !!! :nono:" - certainly they are regularly bent when people need to be admitted late to the stadium and they are bent when the sun breaks are needed and they are bent when more track prep '' is required. In this instance the away team went on to win but fairness is all to often ignored ( or even the need for fairness).