British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Denmark Their Greatest Five Ever?

This will surely divide people but following on from similar threads my five would be

1. Hans Nielsen

2. Ole Olsen

3. Erik Gundersen

4. Nikki Pedersen

5. Jan O. Pedersen

Since they were all multiple World Champions within the different disciplines I personally think that the top five pick themselves (although you may think different?) it's just in what order?

I was tempted to place Olsen at the top (seeing that he was the modern mover of Danish Speedway) but personally because of Nielsen's long term consistency in both domestic and international competition I place him at number one...but then I would!

Does Tommy Knudsen deserve recognition or going further back Arne Pander who was there before any of the aforementioned?

Edited by steve roberts

Olsen, Nielsen, Gundersen , N. Pedersen, Knudsen. for me the first two named are in the top 15 of alltime.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Olsen, Nielsen, Gundersen , Pedersen, Knudsen. for me the first two named are in the top 15 of alltime.

Sid which Pedersen have you chosen?

Morian Hansen

Baltzar Hansen

Ole Olsen

Erik Gundersen

Nicki Pedersen

Edited by Guest

Morian Hansen

Baltzar Hansen

Ole Olsen

Erik Gundersen

Nicki Pedersn

No Hans Nielsen?

Pre-WW2 Danish stars Baltzar Hansen and Morian Hansen - they were not related.

19274877_489795258026668_835912281361224

Morian Hansen

Baltzar Hansen

Ole Olsen

Erik Gundersen

Nicki Pedersen

What were Morian Hansen and particularly Baltzar Hansen's achievements that you think places them above the Hans Nielsen, Jan O Pedersen and Tommy Knudsen.

My own top five I think would be the same as Steve's, though I would like to think there might be a place for Arne Pander....

• Like 1

Morian Hansen

Baltzar Hansen

Ole Olsen

Erik Gundersen

Nicki Pedersen

No Hans Nielsen?

What were Morian Hansen and particularly Baltzar Hansen's achievements that you think places them above the Hans Nielsen, Jan O Pedersen and Tommy Knudsen.

My own top five I think would be the same as Steve's, though I would like to think there might be a place for Arne Pander....

​Good questions. I think it's best to put my opinion regarding Denmark's top five riders on hold!

I plan a complete rethink on my nominations and will come back with new thoughts in the course of time on who I would rate.

Whilst acknowledging Pander's form at Oxford, - and I liked his riding style around Cowley - ,in truth he never made it once into a World Final, so I think not.

Probably the same reasons that saw him rank Mike bast in the top 20 riders of all time...

Fwiw I agree with the OPs list and order

Olsen, Nielsen, Gundersen , N. Pedersen, Knudsen. for me the first two named are in the top 15 of alltime.

Id say Sid the top 3 are all in the top 15 of all time and quite possibly dirty nicki as well.

Arne Pander (Andy Pandy as I used to call him) was a good rider, but riding at the time when Fundin, Moore, Craven and Briggs ruled the roost, he didnt match up to them.

With the class of the Danish riders since, Arne would come well down my list.

Morian Hansen I have heard of, but he never won the Danish championship (2nd once, third once) never mind doing anything in the world championship.

Never heard of Baltzar hansen, and he doesnt even appear in the top three in any Danish championship.

Olsen and Nielsen were awesome, but apart from Nicki I never got to see much of Gundersen and nothing of the other great Danes.

Probably the same reasons that saw him rank Mike bast in the top 20 riders of all time...

Fwiw I agree with the OPs list and order

Id say Sid the top 3 are all in the top 15 of all time and quite possibly dirty nicki as well.

Erik for me could be in at least on the fringes but 15 is not alot eaces 1" Olsen/Nielsen are certainties Nicki P no way in the top 15.

Whilst acknowledging Pander's form at Oxford, - and I liked his riding style around Cowley - ,in truth he never made it once into a World Final, so I think not.

Yes, I agree, that’s why he didn’t actually make it to my top five.

But he was one of the top riders in the era of the “Big Five” and averaged 10.15 in 1960, which placed him above Briggo in the averages. In 1961 he had an average of 10.12 until he fractured his skull which put him out for the rest of the season and 1962. It then took him a long time to return to form. It wasn’t until 1965 that he returned to form, recording an average of 10.03.

Between 1959 and 1961, he was ranked in the Top 10 in the end of season Speedway Star Rankings, his highest being in 1960, when he was ranked at number four, above Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutson. If he hadn’t fractured his skull he would probably have made at least two or three World Finals and done well in them. But, of course, we will never know.

Edited by norbold

Yes, I agree, that’s why he didn’t actually make it to my top five.

But he was one of the top riders in the era of the “Big Five” and averaged 10.15 in 1960, which placed him above Briggo in the averages. In 1961 he had an average of 10.12 until he fractured his skull which put him out for the rest of the season and 1962. It then took him a long time to return to form. It wasn’t until 1965 that he returned to form, recording an average of 10.03.

Between 1959 and 1961, he was ranked in the Top 10 in the end of season Speedway Star Rankings, his highest being in 1960, when he was ranked at number four, above Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutson. If he hadn’t fractured his skull he would probably have made at least two or three World Finals and done well in them. But, of course, we will never know.

Arne would have had a good chance of making the 1965 World Final, a feat achieved by his Oxford team mate Jimmy Gooch, but he wasn't allowed to take part in the qualifying rounds. Having decided to apply for British citizenship he wasn't entered in the European rounds and the powers that be decided because the process was not complete Arne was not eligible to ride in the British qualifiers either.

• Like 1