British Speedway Forum

I may have underestimated Ellis.

His scores in first part of the season were dire to say the least. But like Swindon his scores have improved markedly in the second half of the season and its those first half scores which are reflected in his new 5.45 GSA up from 5.

I checked Swindon meeting stats and he has indeed put in plenty of good solid scores the last 2/3 months.

If the thinking is to tighten up those 2 reserve berths with solid scorers, then knowing Woryna will almost certainly be out of reserve come first GSA in 2018 it would then be wise to have 2 solid scoring guys in there. Meaning that the likes of Ellis/Newman/Klindt ???/Jakobsen if he could be given a low GSA would for sure make it interesting.

Would still like to see Kurtz/Holder jr back with the top end open to discussion/conjecture.

He has knocked off over two points from his starting average so that tends to make Matt Ford's decision not to re-sign him correct. Signing him for next season on the other hand would make sense.

You have to remember its a different set up here in England. We have seen many riders struggle over here in the past.

Look at Mikkel Bech's score yesterday in Poland. Yet Mikkel never pulled up any trees in the UK.

indeed he has gone backwards as has MJ Jepsen although at east he has rediscovered some form after a difficult situation with his father having cancer and having to finance his treatment last 2 years or so.

My line of thinking on Jakobsen is he is young - only 3rd season and even then mainly riding in DK with POl 2nd Div as was completing his studies. Top scored for DK in Euro team u21 final. Check our Uk rider scores for comparison :-(

If he could be got in on a low/low av (and god knows how BSPA would rate him) then maybe worth a chance at reserve ??

Ok the BSPA team points limits and how many UK riders per team as well as league make up will all have a bearing but we want to see the next big possible thing.

Maybe signing as an asset not a bad thing and see how things pan out in Nov BSPA meeting ??

indeed he has gone backwards as has MJ Jepsen although at east he has rediscovered some form after a difficult situation with his father having cancer and having to finance his treatment last 2 years or so.

My line of thinking on Jakobsen is he is young - only 3rd season and even then mainly riding in DK with POl 2nd Div as was completing his studies. Top scored for DK in Euro team u21 final. Check our Uk rider scores for comparison :-(

If he could be got in on a low/low av (and god knows how BSPA would rate him) then maybe worth a chance at reserve ??

Ok the BSPA team points limits and how many UK riders per team as well as league make up will all have a bearing but we want to see the next big possible thing.

Maybe signing as an asset not a bad thing and see how things pan out in Nov BSPA meeting ??

Swindon tried to sign a Dane at the start of the season and the BSPA gave him an average of 7.00.

If Jakobsen was to be a 5.00 then I would give him a go but not on a 7.00 because he would never achieve that in his first season riding tracks for the first time.

Don't forget this is the BSPA we're talking about. They would never let us sign Jakobsen on a 5.00.

Edited by Poole Pirates Fanatic

You forget at least a 3rd or 4th option - Chris doesn't appeal! Chris appeals and loses, even getting a longer ban?!

You can't sign a banned rider.

If you declare a rider in your starting 1-7 you cannot use an equivalent guest (or r/r?) for a rider who hasn't ridden that season, due to a ban, injury or clash of fixtures.

There was a snippet in the Daily Star (on Saturday 2.9.17) that Chris Holder is going to appeal against his ban. I would imagine this information came from Peter Oakes??

Don't forget this is the BSPA we're talking about. They would never let us sign Jakobsen on a 5.00.

Gone are the days of clubs signing riders on a 4 or 5 average unless they are only good in their own back yard.

The league is weak enough to be signing foreign riders on silly fake averages.

And that's for ANY club.

He has knocked off over two points from his starting average so that tends to make Matt Ford's decision not to re-sign him correct. Signing him for next season on the other hand would make sense.

Good Job Swindon took a punt on him then, will be a bargain to any team next season.

Good Job Swindon took a punt on him then, will be a bargain to any team next season.

I think if he had maintained his early season form then he may not be a Robin anymore but he has improved a lot lately.

I think if he had maintained his early season form then he may not be a Robin anymore but he has improved a lot lately.

True, although a couple of early season Injuries didn't help, glad we stuck by him, as the previous season told us he has bags of potential.

True, although a couple of early season Injuries didn't help, glad we stuck by him, as the previous season told us he has bags of potential.

Yes true.

Flwg my recent posts on Frederik Jakobsen (flwg Skidders comments after the World team U21 final in Poland), I see the Poles have woken up to this potential prestigious future talent.

Flwg posted today on the main Polish Speedway website.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=pl&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/709288/zaczelo-sie-polowanie-na-mlodego-dunczyka-rok-temu-nie-chcial-go-prawie-nikt&usg=ALkJrhhWAbC8CNhoKiggyOMYlOlsnNr_Cg

The opening headline is: (Pls excuse the Polish that attaches itself when I copy across).

The hunt for a young Dane began. A year ago almost no one wanted him

Frederik Jakobsen scored 13 points in the DMŚJ final in Rybnik. He beat Max Fricke, Robert Lambert and Dominique Kubera and caught the attention of many club activists. Some have already decided they want to have it.

I wonder if a UK Promoter can get clarification from the BSPA on what a riders GSA av would be for next season before deciding if they want to sign him.

I know some non Poole supporters feel he should be given 7 but I do find it bemusing that K Woryna can come in with 1 years UK experience on just over 4.5 GSA and a potential top class Polish performer also riding in Polish Exl, yet a rider only in his 3rd season on a 500cc bike who is 19 - never ridden UK in ANY league - first season riding in Polish 2nd Div (2 leagues behind Pol EXL) - odd guest appearance in Sweden and his own Danish League is potentially deemed as a 7 pointer.

I would love to have Matt clarify his GSA for 2018 and if low enough I certainly would have him onboard.

I think Jacobsen would be on 5 points according to current rules - rules which of course might be changed in the agm for 2018!!

I think Jacobsen would be on 5 points according to current rules - rules which of course might be changed in the agm for 2018!!

Would struggle to see how he fits in for next season with the apparent plan. Maybe sign as an asset and let him have a year in the championship or another premiership team?

Would struggle to see how he fits in for next season with the apparent plan. Maybe sign as an asset and let him have a year in the championship or another premiership team?

Maybe being a little selfish here. BUT....

As a speedway fan of some 47 years - ok I was only 15 when I first starting going to Hackney ;-). I am a great believer in giving potential World class riders a chance.

IF Jakobsen could be secured on a 5.00 GSA av then I would take a chance on him. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Yes the easy option is to have say Ellis and or maybe Newman in reserve berth with Wornya (initially). But bottom line is Woryna will probably move out of the reserve berth (hopefully) when first GSA is issued in 2018 with changes (end May/June ??).

Again IF the av allow it I would rather have an improving youngster like Jakobsen in the team even IF he stays as reserve until the Summer. If we have until 31/7 again to change riders I would persevere with the guy while he gains experience.

Yes some will say the likes of M.Bech have gone backwards but ultimately how many of the star Danish riders had to be given their chance to break through over the many years I have been a Speedway supporter. Not every Danish rider came here as a HL.

Also lets remember that ultimately the league is won in Oct not March. Top 4 is where to be for play offs, and if the team is strong enough then the club can exercise patience. He seems to be the best young Dane out there and ultimately someone will take that chance.

I would like it to be Poole although I can understand that after what happened this season some Poole supporters want the quick/safe fix for 2018.

At 7 GSA I would say sign as an asset and loan out but IF he could get 5 I would say go for it as long term I see him being way above Newman/Ellis and riding all the major leagues in Europe.

Hand on heart can you see that of Ellis or Newman who are 3/6 years older (and in my opinion will always be steady English riders) being better than Jakobsen long term ??.

The above is just my opinion of course. I just believe in giving talent a chance just as Matt did with youngsters like Ward/Holder Snr/Kurtz/Holder Jnr and numerous others over the years.

UK may be way behind the Continent in overall quality but that doesn't stop us developing young talent wherever they originate from.

Maybe being a little selfish here. BUT....

As a speedway fan of some 47 years - ok I was only 15 when I first starting going to Hackney ;-). I am a great believer in giving potential World class riders a chance.

IF Jakobsen could be secured on a 5.00 GSA av then I would take a chance on him. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Yes the easy option is to have say Ellis and or maybe Newman in reserve berth with Wornya (initially). But bottom line is Woryna will probably move out of the reserve berth (hopefully) when first GSA is issued in 2018 with changes (end May/June ??).

Again IF the av allow it I would rather have an improving youngster like Jakobsen in the team even IF he stays as reserve until the Summer. If we have until 31/7 again to change riders I would persevere with the guy while he gains experience.

Yes some will say the likes of M.Bech have gone backwards but ultimately how many of the star Danish riders had to be given their chance to break through over the many years I have been a Speedway supporter. Not every Danish rider came here as a HL.

Also lets remember that ultimately the league is won in Oct not March. Top 4 is where to be for play offs, and if the team is strong enough then the club can exercise patience. He seems to be the best young Dane out there and ultimately someone will take that chance.

I would like it to be Poole although I can understand that after what happened this season some Poole supporters want the quick/safe fix for 2018.

At 7 GSA I would say sign as an asset and loan out but IF he could get 5 I would say go for it as long term I see him being way above Newman/Ellis and riding all the major leagues in Europe.

Hand on heart can you see that of Ellis or Newman who are 3/6 years older (and in my opinion will always be steady English riders) being better than Jakobsen long term ??.

The above is just my opinion of course. I just believe in giving talent a chance just as Matt did with youngsters like Ward/Holder Snr/Kurtz/Holder Jnr and numerous others over the years.

UK may be way behind the Continent in overall quality but that doesn't stop us developing young talent wherever they originate from.

Agree with what your saying but. If you do have Magic, Holder, Holder, Kurtz and Woryna! Where you going to fit him in. If the points limit does not fit for that team then I would say yes get him in but if it's a choice of that top 5 then get him as an asset and give him a year!

So Matt Ford confirms today (Echo and BBC Radio) another deal is done with terms agreed for the rider 'to switch to the south coast' for 2018! It will be the 3rd full signing of this year (after Klindt and Woryna), but as stated on the radio there are one or two minor things to sort out so 'its not the right time to make the announcement yet'!!

Read into that what you will.............