British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Greg Hancock Hurt?

RE Malcolm Simmons, wasn't keen on him when he was riding and after reading his book I agree about being a bit of a twit. His comments about some other riders a bit rich tbh

Used to think Greg was a model professional, have changed my mind about him and although he's won multiple world titles I cant place in the same bracket as Briggo, Olsen, Fundin, etc

Edited by Ken Morgan
  • Like 1

Whatever our collective opinions on Greg, he's the world champion as of now and for him not to get a wild card next year (if needed of course) would be a disgrace.

Whatever our collective opinions on Greg, he's the world champion as of now and for him not to get a wild card next year (if needed of course) would be a disgrace.

No it wouldn't. There is no need to waste a wild card on Greg. Let him go.

• Like 1

I agree Ghost but he'll get a card.

Not my fav rider by any stretch but hes current world champion and hasn' finished outside the top 8 in over a decade. Fair is fair...

• Like 3

Tomasz Gollob saying Greg is out for the season having decided to have an op now? Says it could be career ending?

Could we possibly see not one (Gollob) but 3 world champions careers finished by the end of this season?

Not my fav rider by any stretch but hes current world champion and hasn' finished outside the top 8 in over a decade. Fair is fair...

IMO, he have done his part in the SGP series. He struggled so far this season, what says next year will be any better? You have to look ahead, not look at the past.

• Like 1

IMO, he have done his part in the SGP series. He struggled so far this season, what says next year will be any better? You have to look ahead, not look at the past.

He'd very likely still have been in the top 8 but for the injury, even as high as 4th given his record at Cardiff. Hardly 'struggling'.

• Like 1

Not just WC. Before Cardiff (despite "He struggled so far this season") he was 7th in the standings i.e in an automatic qualification position for next year.

Hancock was doing well enough to qualify until injured and still a 'proper contender' going into every round

He would be due a wild card for that alone.

He has a unique and unsurpassable GP record of twenty years plus.

How could ANYONE consider him unworthy of a wild card?

I would imagine that he will be able to claim a GP place for as long as he wants it himself.

After all, all the people that matter seem to just love him as well.

And to put this in context.

I cannot stand the man. One little bit.

Just because I cringe and squirm at his every appearance on screen.

And find the whole 'look at me I'm 84 but still get down with the kids' as nauseating.

I know that counts for nothing.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4

Guest GiveusaB

Hancock was doing well enough to qualify until injured and still a 'proper contender' going into every round

He would be due a wild card for that alone.

He has a unique and unsurpassable GP record of twenty years plus.

How could ANYONE consider him unworthy of a wild card?

I would imagine that he will be able to claim a GP place for as long as he wants it himself.

After all, all the people that matter seem to just love him as well.

And to put this in context.

I cannot stand the man. One little bit.

Just because I cringe and squirm at his every appearance on screen.

And find the whole 'look at me I'm 84 but still get down with the kids' as nauseating.

I know that counts for nothing.

Dont you mean 'hey look at me I'm 84. but I'm still whipping your ass ' !!!

If Greg's injury is as serious as it sounds, then may be it's time for him to bow out gracefully!?

Afterall, he's entertained 'speedway meat heads' for long enough and those of you that dont appreciate what he's done for the sport should hang your head in shame!

Fickle lot !

47 and still TOP of the world ! :t:

He'd very likely still have been in the top 8 but for the injury, even as high as 4th given his record at Cardiff. Hardly 'struggling'.

Well his record is doing very good at all rounds even if he doesn't win every GP. Looking at his results in the 2017 SGP in those SGP rounds he rode in,

he only have one final appearance (Czech GP) and only one other top 8 finish. His points are 11 4 5 18 7, not really that good.

Struggling may be an exaggeration but his results so far are definitely a decline compared to last season.

In the Swedish Elitserien his average have dropped from 2.095 to 1.800 which is a drop with about 14% . He is steady in Poland though.

It was same discussion with Gollob and Adams. Wild cards for long and faithful service were some fans' opinion.

I have never understood the point of giving a wild card to a rider that is at the end of his career.

I stick with my opinion that it is better to look forward instead of looking backwards.

His points are 11 4 5 18 7, not really that good.

A well thought out analysis Gw and I agree with much of what you say.

But at the risk of repeating myself, the constant, "He wasn't doing very well before Cardiff" doesn't make it true. He was 7th in the standings. Indeed, after two poor rounds at Warsaw and Daugavpils he upped his game and top scored in Prague. He is still 8th in the standings now after effectively missing a round. There would many would GP stars that would give their right arms for such a season (although that might affect their future performance :P ).

Such a record would encourage me to carry on if my health permitted. We can only hope that Greg ends his career on his terms not because of an injury (especially one incurred off track).

• Like 2

If Greg had retired when a lot of people may have though he should he could well have ended a single world champion. Nothing to suggest he couldn't potentially add another next season.

• Like 2