British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cliffeboy

Somerset V Belle Vue. 4.8.17.

An unfortunate situation, but Tungate announced himself fit and then withdrew. Too late to find a guest and Belle Vue were already using R/R so that wasn't an option.

It's not stupid at all that he had to still take 3 rides. Otherwise any team with a high scoring reserve could just withdraw a poor scoring rider and give thevreserve loads of rides instead.

• Like 2

Wasn't really bothered about going this evening it's been such a long time since the last meeting I'm losing the buzz. But I went, there was some good racing but as a spectator I want to see 4 riders in a race, what a stupid rule in not allowing the reserves to take Rohan's rides. Ok rules are rules but it's only a matter of time before the paying public will get fed up of being mugged of. Was really impressed with Dan Bewley shame he took a while to get going.

Marge...your feelings are exactly like mine.

If I lived closer, it wouldn't be a problem. But Friday nights on the M5 from Bristol are a joke, then take into consideration the weather and fixtures, it really has become a 'take it or leave it scenario'.

I often wonder how many people are like myself and would make the effort to get to Somerset on a regular basis, if it wasn't such a balls ache.

I watch and participate in other sports...Golf, Football, Skiing and Cricket...as well as Speedway. My time and disposable income and enjoyment can be spent elsewhere tbh.

Somerset Speedway got me interested again. I love the set up and passion the owners have...it really is infectious. However...I can only feel outside influences will kill off many followers, especially from outside the Highbridge area.

Lack of home league fixtures on a regular basis, and the Friday night travelling debacle really are effecting any passion.

Then take into the consideration of the meetings we've had at Somerset this season, with lack of riders....you have to ask yourself, 'how can it continue?'

It's only the fantastic racing on a great track that makes me yern to go....However, like you, I've lost the buzz a little.

Golf and football now taking over. Speedway needs to take a long hard look at itself.

• Like 1

I believe it was the medic that pulled him out of the meeting. Tungate wanted to ride.

While a win is a win nobody wants to watch teams have to contest three rider races. It's farcical that the reserves aren't allowed to take Tungate's rides and gain valuable track time and be given a chance to possibly make a name for themselves ! None of us from Somerset wanted to see our team ride against a weakened Aces side !!! Although we were amused at Cookie spitting the dummy out on a couple of occasions !!! Thanks for the 3 points Aces, onward and upward !

As mentioned, such a shame the Aces were depleted tonight. This would have been a very fine contest even without Fricke but with Tungate as the Rebels were really up for this.

Surely surely, there should be a rule here that ensures reserves are able to take the rides of an injured rider in this scenario thus meaning there at least four riders who come to the tapes in ever race. When it was announced that there would be no Tungate and only one race where a reserve can cover his rides, the collective groan from the crowd was huge.

Throughout the meeting on a typically blustery Somerset evening, traffic on the nearby M5 crawled past the OTA. The crowd was well down and supporters were still arriving long after the already delayed start. The A and B roads all around the stadium were gridlocked, the knock on effect from the earlier incident on the M5 was significant.

Heat 1 opened with a superb ride by Richard Lawson keeping the tenacious Bellego at bay, who spent all 4 laps snapping at Lawson's back wheel.

Similarly Graczjonek did equally as well to hold off a determined looking Craig Cook in heat 4. Cook is fast becoming the pantomime villain at the OTA with his recent temper tantrums ( complaining about the wind, then doing the same earlier this season about the rain). To the delight of the Rebels faithful he was beaten fairly and squarely when he donned the black and white helmet colour by Graczjonek and a flying Jake Allen in heat 7, before quickly returning to the pits in a huff!

However, he showed his true class with a truly magnificent pass of Hougaard and Wright in heat 9. Swooping outside the startled Dane, before driving underneath the board scraping Wright on bends one and two.

But true to form, Cookie finished his evening by failing to finish heat 15 after trailing in last and disappearing into the pits after again being beaten by a terrific ride by both Allen and a rapid looking Cameron Heeps.

A mention for young Dan Bewley who at just 18!years of age was mighty impressive for his 6 points. A sluggish start to the meeting which included a puncture, he showed true promise with his last 3 rides. Not only holding off Richard Lawson and later, Patrick Hougaard, he had the speed and skill to do the same to Charles Wright for two laps before being passed. However, he continued to chase and hassle Wright, all the way to the finish line after.

He looks a great find for the Aces, and how nice that he is British too.

• Like 1

As mentioned, such a shame the Aces were depleted tonight. This would have been a very fine contest even without Fricke but with Tungate as the Rebels were really up for this.

Surely surely, there should be a rule here that ensures reserves are able to take the rides of an injured rider in this scenario thus meaning there at least four riders who come to the tapes in ever race. When it was announced that there would be no Tungate and only one race where a reserve can cover his rides, the collective groan from the crowd was huge.

Throughout the meeting on a typically blustery Somerset evening, traffic on the nearby M5 crawled past the OTA. The crowd was well down and supporters were still arriving long after the already delayed start. The A and B roads all around the stadium were gridlocked, the knock on effect from the earlier incident on the M5 was significant.

Heat 1 opened with a superb ride by Richard Lawson keeping the tenacious Bellego at bay, who spent all 4 laps snapping at Lawson's back wheel.

Similarly Graczjonek did equally as well to hold off a determined looking Craig Cook in heat 4. Cook is fast becoming the pantomime villain at the OTA with his recent temper tantrums ( complaining about the wind, then doing the same earlier this season about the rain). To the delight of the Rebels faithful he was beaten fairly and squarely when he donned the black and white helmet colour by Graczjonek and a flying Jake Allen in heat 7, before quickly returning to the pits in a huff!

However, he showed his true class with a truly magnificent pass of Hougaard and Wright in heat 9. Swooping outside the startled Dane, before driving underneath the board scraping Wright on bends one and two.

But true to form, Cookie finished his evening by failing to finish heat 15 after trailing in last and disappearing into the pits after again being beaten by a terrific ride by both Allen and a rapid looking Cameron Heeps.

A mention for young Dan Bewley who at just 18!years of age was mighty impressive for his 6 points. A sluggish start to the meeting which included a puncture, he showed true promise with his last 3 rides. Not only holding off Richard Lawson and later, Patrick Hougaard, he had the speed and skill to do the same to Charles Wright for two laps before being passed. However, he continued to chase and hassle Wright, all the way to the finish line after.

He looks a great find for the Aces, and how nice that he is British too.

Every time I see young Bewley ride I'm impressed with his control on the bike and his ability to learn away tracks. Hopefully a star in the making and as you say he's British.

• Like 3

It's not stupid at all that he had to still take 3 rides. Otherwise any team with a high scoring reserve could just withdraw a poor scoring rider and give thevreserve loads of rides instead.

Which they can under the IRR rule so I don't see your point? In fact even before the IRR rule if someone was injured or fell sick reserves could take their rides

I won't be making heat 1 or 2 and maybe a few more

I made it at heat 4. Wish I diddnt now 😂

I made it at heat 4. Wish I diddnt now 😂

Mate, I know exactly how you feel. When Rye were in the PL I travelled to see them there three times in one season. We scored 28, 26 & 22 points, but d'ya know what? If we'd have had another fixture there that season I'd have gone again

• Like 1

Mate, I know exactly how you feel. When Rye were in the PL I travelled to see them there three times in one season. We scored 28, 26 & 22 points, but d'ya know what? If we'd have had another fixture there that season I'd have gone again

Someone asked me on either Twitter or Facebook why do I bother. My answer. Because I love belle vue.

• Like 4

Marge...your feelings are exactly like mine.

If I lived closer, it wouldn't be a problem. But Friday nights on the M5 from Bristol are a joke, then take into consideration the weather and fixtures, it really has become a 'take it or leave it scenario'.

I often wonder how many people are like myself and would make the effort to get to Somerset on a regular basis, if it wasn't such a balls ache.

I watch and participate in other sports...Golf, Football, Skiing and Cricket...as well as Speedway. My time and disposable income and enjoyment can be spent elsewhere tbh.

Somerset Speedway got me interested again. I love the set up and passion the owners have...it really is infectious. However...I can only feel outside influences will kill off many followers, especially from outside the Highbridge area.

Lack of home league fixtures on a regular basis, and the Friday night travelling debacle really are effecting any passion.

Then take into the consideration of the meetings we've had at Somerset this season, with lack of riders....you have to ask yourself, 'how can it continue?'

It's only the fantastic racing on a great track that makes me yern to go....However, like you, I've lost the buzz a little.

Golf and football now taking over. Speedway needs to take a long hard look at itself.

I can fully understand where your coming from, I for one never thought I would do so little UK meetings this year, the idea of like you said M5 Friday night is a nightmare, then to stand on a grass bank with no atmosphere enough said.

My next meeting will be 13 Aug, Zielona Gora v Gorzow, Now that will be serious entertainment!!!!

• Like 1

Someone asked me on either Twitter or Facebook why do I bother. My answer. Because I love belle vue.

In a nutshell!!

I didn't miss a Rockets Northern tour between 2004 and 2016, either on the supporters coach or car. Last year I flew up. Those early ones with a coach load of Rockets fans were some of my best memories

Every time I see young Bewley ride I'm impressed with his control on the bike and his ability to learn away tracks. Hopefully a star in the making and as you say he's British.

I have been involved with speedway since 1966 in all departments including having a skid myself. I totally agree Dan Bewley is one exceptional talent, I don't know what sort of "team" he has around him - but it has worked well so far! What you see on the track is a future Champion. I think Richard Lawson offers guidance ATM which is great but I would like to see a former rider take him under his wing............ Best wishes for the future Dan Bewley.

I have been involved with speedway since 1966 in all departments including having a skid myself. I totally agree Dan Bewley is one exceptional talent, I don't know what sort of "team" he has around him - but it has worked well so far! What you see on the track is a future Champion. I think Richard Lawson offers guidance ATM which is great but I would like to see a former rider take him under his wing............ Best wishes for the future Dan Bewley.

I believe Richard Lawson is mentoring him, he was at the Aces/Wolves meeting recently. I agree with you either a former or experienced rider would be helpful which is why I was sorry to see Scotty leave, he would have been perfect.

Tungate is not happy with the Belle vue fans ..its quite odd how they don't care about the riders welfare .first fricke and now tungate