British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

Surely the clubs would only reduce the price by a small amount if no money was coming from the tv company

Or go out of their way to massively promote the event locally and attract a good crowd in? Giving a positive, strong, vibrant message to the casual TV observer that the Sport is still popular, and on the up, and (just maybe) give that casual observer the feeling that they are missing out on something...?

Doh!

What am I saying....

I mean....

Charge full price and race in front of about 500 - 700 and have the crowd resembling a weekly meeting of the 'Darby and Joan Club', (or a SAGA pre cruise get together), ensuring it will successfully reinforce the belief that "Speedway is a Sport your Granddad goes to"...

There, that's the business plan sorted..

Maybe BT see it as a huge opportunity for the BSPA to keep the domestic sport on our screens, and promote it aggressively to their wider Sports watching audience as well as the Clubs' local populace around the various conurbations...?

Hence no money to be handed over but they will stand the production costs?

If so. They really don't know how 'Promoting of the Sport' works in British Speedway do they?

Although, as they develop their negotiations with those in charge, I am sure very quickly they will learn....😕

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

THE biggest mistake will be if the Premier league go to only two nights of Monday and Thursday. This will surely finish Speedway off. If BT carry on televising on a Monday night why will anybody bother going to a live match on that night. Monday is the worst day of the week to promote speedway

• Like 1

THE biggest mistake will be if the Premier league go to only two nights of Monday and Thursday. This will surely finish Speedway off. If BT carry on televising on a Monday night why will anybody bother going to a live match on that night. Monday is the worst day of the week to promote speedway

And if that is what happens it says it all about the way the Sport has been ran with regards to the lack of 'emotional loyalty' fans now have for 'their' teams...

Loyalty to the Sport? "Definitely, as I will watch it on TV, hopefully helping to provide BT with good viewing figures which may help the Sport longer term. I dont care who wins I just hope there is some good racing"...

Loyalty to my team? "Well, it's not really my team there tonight just a bunch of riders cobbled together wearing my teams' colours so it doesnt really matter who wins, I can watch a meeting on TV tonight with the same 'not bothered who wins' feelings so I will give paying around 20 quid a miss.."..

Edited by mikebv

Surely the clubs would only reduce the price by a small amount if no money was coming from the tv company

Yes, if they wanted to carry on struggling to make a living.

Until the BSPA finally get the idea that it is ESSENTIAL to ensure meetings are packed out on TV the sport will never gain traction.

In addition, they must stop Pearson from constantly telling folk it's a big crowd because of the 'special offers'. Never mind that. Just say it's another packed out crowd.. consistently give the impression that speedway is a place 'to be'. People are sheep.

• Like 4

Of all the problems British speedway has, Monday night speedway is the least of their issues.

• Like 2

And if that is what happens it says it all about the way the Sport has been ran with regards to the lack of 'emotional loyalty' fans now have for 'their' teams...

Loyalty to the Sport? "Definitely, as I will watch it on TV, hopefully helping to provide BT with good viewing figures which may help the Sport longer term. I dont care who wins I just hope there is some good racing"...

Loyalty to my team? "Well, it's not really my team there tonight just a bunch of riders cobbled together wearing my teams' colours so it doesnt really matter who wins, I can watch a meeting on TV tonight with the same 'not bothered who wins' feelings so I will give paying around 20 quid a miss.."..[/quote

Well said exactly how I feel.

Of all the problems British speedway has, Monday night speedway is the least of their issues.

Exactly. Plus Monday nights have been no issue for SKY/BT and more importantly Wolves and the Aces (until they moved) and teams wanting to be on TV.

Monday seems one of the better days for set racing.

I wonder about this. I have been pointing out for a while that if your own team is up against a bad team or one full of guests how many will stay at home and watch whoever is on the tv.

Exactly. Plus Monday nights have been no issue for SKY/BT and more importantly Wolves and the Aces (until they moved) and teams wanting to be on TV.

Monday seems one of the better days for set racing.

It was because it was an issue and because it isn't a school night that Belle Vue changed to Friday. As both Wolves and the Aces have said, it is difficult to attract riders who don't want to race in a Poland on Sunday, UK on Monday and Sweden on Tuesday and you are competing against whichever meeting is on TV.

I am in favour of fixed nights to get rid of doubling up clashes and if Monday has to be one of them I think that is better than no fixed nights but Monday is the least best week day option.

Edited by Aces51

I wonder about this. I have been pointing out for a while that if your own team is up against a bad team or one full of guests how many will stay at home and watch whoever is on the tv.

A large majority of those with BT I should imagine. I will be if things turn out that way.

WITH regard to BT and the 2018 season, agree with flagrant that they will want to see what is on offer (league structure, race days, teams, etc) before making a decision.

WITH regard to BT and the 2018 season, agree with flagrant that they will want to see what is on offer (league structure, race days, teams, etc) before making a decision.

And so will all of us.

There are some choices they could make that will make a real difference to my attendances in 2018.

Any ideas what sort of answer to those various questions would sway BT decisions ?

In either direction ?

Is there actually ANYTHING that the promoters could choose to do that would get them to part with some cash?

Or is that a lost cause ?

Edited by Grand Central

I WOULD imagine race-nights, strength of teams, what riders are racing in the UK, lower admission prices for TV meetings, etc. Hopefully scrapping the golden double. Just conjecture on my part.

I have written here before that I would expect the best the BSPA can expect is for BT to cover production and to pay a match fee, probably around £10,000.

I WOULD imagine race-nights, strength of teams, what riders are racing in the UK, lower admission prices for TV meetings, etc. Hopefully scrapping the golden double. Just conjecture on my part.

I have written here before that I would expect the best the BSPA can expect is for BT to cover production and to pay a match fee, probably around £10,000.

Yes I understand that those would be the issues that require clarification.

But not what the answers would need to be to change BT's mind on the price they would be prepared to pay

My pondering was do BT Sport actually have any intention of offering any more money even if the Promoters 'pushed the boat out' ?

And went for radical change ?

Would they really put any more money on the table for half a dozen SGP riders being tempted?

Would they prefer one big league, a 12 team top league or the same old same old 8/9 team Premiership, and avoid the Championship like the plague? {Again)

Are they troubled by Guests ?

Did they find the Promotion -Relegation charade a deal breaker, or deal-clincher ?

Do they give a flying fig about doubling up, does the Joker really vex them ?

Or do they not really give a toss about any of that as they just want to sign up for something that is very, very cost effective.

But could be pretty much identical to 2017 for all THEY really care.

As none of it affects viewing figures and revenue, one jot ?

They just need something to fill Monday Nights with Live stuff that gets decent figures for minimum outlay.

My thinking has always been that they know that they could get probably get a deal for next to nothing beyond the production costs.

Considering the poor bargaining position of the BSPA.

Take it leave it would work, surely?

Edited by Grand Central

Yes I understand that those would be the issues that require clarification.

But not what the answers would need to be to change BT's mind on the price they would be prepared to pay

My pondering was do BT Sport actually have any intention of offering any more money even if the Promoters 'pushed the boat out' ?

And went for radical change ?

Would they really put any more money on the table for half a dozen SGP riders being tempted?

Would they prefer one big league, a 12 team top league or the same old same old 8/9 team Premiership, and avoid the Championship like the plague? {Again)

Are they troubled by Guests ?

Did they find the Promotion -Relegation charade a deal breaker, or deal-clincher ?

Do they give a flying fig about doubling up, does the Joker really vex them ?

Or do they not really give a toss about any of that as they just want to sign up for something that is very, very cost effective.

But could be pretty much identical to 2017 for all THEY really care.

As none of it affects viewing figures and revenue, one jot ?

They just need something to fill Monday Nights with Live stuff that gets decent figures for minimum outlay.

My thinking has always been that they know that they could get probably get a deal for next to nothing beyond the production costs.

Considering the poor bargaining position of the BSPA.

Take it leave it would work, surely?

THINK their position is pretty much fixed and doubt whether anything would persuade them to actually pay along then lines of the previous Sky deal.

Doubt whether more SGP riders would make a difference. But obviously they (and us) would like to see settled teams, less guests, etc.

Cannot answer for BT obviously but know the production guys well and think they accept that guests can be a necessary evil in domestic speedway but not on the scale of 2016.

They sort of got out of jail with the p/r meetings but doubt whether they would be bothered iif scrapped.

Don't think the Joker in the SWC vexes them as much as it does us. The longer a meeting remains competitive the better from a TV perspective.

Don't think it.is just a case of filling a Monday night. Speedway on TV is a good product most of the time. And it fits their motorcycle racing portfolio but they won't throw money at it.

Take it or leave it could be right but there are those in the BSPA who believe that televised speedway is actually detrimental to the sport here.

• Like 2