British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve0

Swindon Vs Kings Lynn 21 August 2017

I can't think of anyone who regularly team tides these days. A couple of years back when riding for Plymouth, Ben Barker was very efficient at it (surprisingly).

Leigh Adams used to do it pretty much every week at Blunsdon, and occasionally away from home too.

I don't even think it enters Doyley's head. Even at Somerset last week when Musielak was leading him in heat 11, it seemed like he was doing his utmost to get past him. That said, the Robins have a proper number one at the absolute top of his game. And right now, there won't be many who would swap,him for any rider in the world.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone doubts Doyle's ability but the attitude leaves a lot to be desired. He may have an opinion on the other teams riders but at certain times you show restraint and keep those thoughts to yourself or a chosen few not a TV audience when the future of TV coverage hangs in the balance and a professional stance is required. He started his career the same as others and with determination and the right backing has clawed his way to where he is today but that does not give him the divine right to show such contempt for fellow professionals.

Unfortunately his actions together with those of his compatriots such as the Holders and Batchelor who disgraced himself and Australia in the World Cup added to which the whinging from other Aussies over here and you question why they bother riding in the UK particularly if the grass is greener elsewhere. I do not see the sport would be any poorer if they stayed away and if the top stars cannot fit the UK into their schedules then British Speedway should move on a look after number one and stop trying to cater or placate the few when the many simply want to race weekly and the supporters want to watch weekly racing. It worked until the tail started wagging the dog. Time to get back to basics.

• Like 2

His comments about opposing rider's was acceptable in your opinion then?

When he himself is of very similar ilk in getting himself into difficulty

You mean like when Freddie rode recklessly last year to end his season? Or how about when Mr Perfect Hancock clattered into him in Melbourne? Or when Miedzinski turned left on him this season? Of course all injuries caused by himself....
  • Like 4

You mean like when Freddie rode recklessly last year to end his season? Or how about when Mr Perfect Hancock clattered into him in Melbourne? Or when Miedzinski turned left on him this season? Of course all injuries caused by himself....

It's just the latest craze by the forum sheep. Aussie bashing. And King's Lynn fans deciding an entire country from down under is responsible for the Stars predicament.

He IS crap at team riding, though.

• Like 5

Is it different in the top league then ? As for the past two seasons in the second tier heat 4 has been protected for the number sevens , except if they get injured in heat 2 of course .

Seems like they are altered to suit any league to suit. Will try and find out which match it was.

Hadn't had a chance to watch the match on tv till tonight. Here's hoping that JD recovers quickly from his season long neck injury.... you know, the one that prevents him from turning his head to look for his team mate.

• Like 1

I can't think of anyone who regularly team tides these days. A couple of years back when riding for Plymouth, Ben Barker was very efficient at it (surprisingly).

Leigh Adams used to do it pretty much every week at Blunsdon, and occasionally away from home too.

You can say many things about Billy Janniro but he was the last rider who regularly graced these shores who could properly team ride. I thought Scott Nicholls did a good job when the opportunity presented itself when he was last involved in a televised Speedway meeting.

The irony that Billy Janniro, Sam Ermolenko & Bobby Schwartz are without doubt the best 3 team riders I have ever seen when they come from California where there is almost no team Speedway is not lost on me.

Not sure I have ever seen Adams have the opportunity to team ride properly on a regular basis. Allot depends on the two riders on track chemistry, at Dudley Wood Alan Grahame alongside Phil Collins, Simon Cross or Jan O Pedersen was fantastic. When paired with Gert Handberg it just did not work.

I have watched little Speedway other than that on TV in recent years, the last time I saw a pair operating in total unison was Gary Havelock & Tony Rickardsson for Arena Essex.

That wasn't a bad meeting from Blunsdon, having just finished watching it, better than most televised meetings at the Abbey. Shame Kings Lynn don't have a "big gun" who may have got them a point, they're team that is basically based on the hope they will not finish last, to win. 7 riders averaging 8-5. It is a shame they have been forced into this position due to Holder & Batchelor's lack of man sacks.

Edited by Col

It's just the latest craze by the forum sheep. Aussie bashing. And King's Lynn fans deciding an entire country from down under is responsible for the Stars predicament.

It is so wrong to tar everyone with the same brush. I have real bad opinion of Holder and Batchelor, caused through their bad attitude, but that's not to say all Aussies are that way..

I hope not anyway.... :wink:

• Like 1

Watched the meeting last night and didn't think it was as bad as was being made out on here, watched it in just over half hour though. Was looking forward to Doyle's antics but couldn't really see what he did to get hung drawn and quartered. Maybe I skipped it without realising

• Like 2

You can say many things about Billy Janniro but he was the last rider who regularly graced these shores who could properly team ride. I thought Scott Nicholls did a good job when the opportunity presented itself when he was last involved in a televised Speedway meeting.

The irony that Billy Janniro, Sam Ermolenko & Bobby Schwartz are without doubt the best 3 team riders I have ever seen when they come from California where there is almost no team Speedway is not lost on me.

Not sure I have ever seen Adams have the opportunity to team ride properly on a regular basis. Allot depends on the two riders on track chemistry, at Dudley Wood Alan Grahame alongside Phil Collins, Simon Cross or Jan O Pedersen was fantastic. When paired with Gert Handberg it just did not work.

I have watched little Speedway other than that on TV in recent years, the last time I saw a pair operating in total unison was Gary Havelock & Tony Rickardsson for Arena Essex.

That wasn't a bad meeting from Blunsdon, having just finished watching it, better than most televised meetings at the Abbey. Shame Kings Lynn don't have a "big gun" who may have got them a point, they're team that is basically based on the hope they will not finish last, to win. 7 riders averaging 8-5. It is a shame they have been forced into this position due to Holder & Batchelor's lack of man sacks.

Leigh Adams was as good a team rider as I have seen, many is the time I 've seen him sat in that arm chair protecting a lesser rider for yet another 5 - 1. At least that bike looked like an arm chair when he rode it round the Abbey.

• Like 3

He's not crap at it....he just doesn't attempt it! 😜

Leigh Adams was as good a team rider as I have seen, many is the time I 've seen him sat in that arm chair protecting a lesser rider for yet another 5 - 1. At least that bike looked like an arm chair when he rode it round the Abbey.

He was a master of clamping the opposition down on the bend, slowing them up to allow the number 2 or reserve to come round the outside for a 5 - 1. Sometimes he was looking behind more than in front.

• Like 1

The amount of 5-1 we got from Leigh's team riding with lesser riders was too many to count, a real skill and art, sadly going out of the game, a lot down to the modern bikes and not always the smoothest tracks maybe.

• Like 1

The amount of 5-1 we got from Leigh's team riding with lesser riders was too many to count, a real skill and art, sadly going out of the game, a lot down to the modern bikes and not always the smoothest tracks maybe.

One has to imagine its a lot more difficult now with these high revving bikes. When the bikes were more controllable it was easier to assist your partner riding side by side, blocking attempts to pass. Now it has to be done going flat out, else not, the rider behind will pick you off with his superior speed. I've seen 2 riders on totally different paths going well and people referring to this as team riding, But its just two riders taking up more of the track doing their own thing. Last week against Leicester Robert Lambert was involved in 4 , 5-1's, but each time it was follow the leader going flat out wide in the dirt. It wasn't team riding merely going too quick to be caught.

Like you say, team riding now is very difficult to achieve and is becoming a dying art....

Doyle the pot calling the kettle springs to mind, if I'm correct his last 2 visits to lynn he crashed in both meetings both his own fault, on his last visit he didn't make past his first ride,coming in to hard on Thomas Jorgensen & coming off worse & withdrawing from the meeting, on top off that giving the first aiders who tried to help him a load of abuse, very professional what a 🤡