British Speedway Forum
diamond_ren

Jason Doyle In This Weeks Speedway Star

I can understand why the top riders no longer want to ride over here regular race nights and they can earn a lot more money riding in Poland and Sweden so why do they not just say that.

The problem I have is a lot of them have to slag off British speedway before they go.Like a lot of people have said this Country gave a lot of them their start or plenty of meetings for them learn their trade no problems then.Before they were considered good enough to ride for big money in Poland etc the level of opposing riders safe etc no problems then.I agree some of our tracks do need improving but after riding on them for 10 years or so with no problem they all of a sudden become unsafe.

I would ask the question of Doyle of your recent big injurys did any of them happen on a track used for British league meetings and what level of safe rider you were up against.

I have no problem if a rider moves on for better pay etc we would all do it and would welcome them back at anytime.But if a rider slags off our league before he goes when his form drops off a little and he is no longer wanted in Poland for me he would at that time be no longer wanted back in Britain ever.

We should listen to some of what Doyle is saying, take Poole for instance, why can't Matt iron out all the lumps and bumps ffs, it's ridiculous.. Our promoters should study their tracks and try to make them better, smoother, better shaped, do what is necessary. Of course accessing them is a problem and for some it's spending money on something they don't own but if the will is there to improve it and hopefully reap the benefit?

I agree that Poole's track needs work but don't you think you should have mentioned your own Kings lynn track as well.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 4

It's odd that supporters think they can spend so much time on here slagging off the state of British speedway, but when a rider does it he gets criticised for it.

If all the top riders are saying it's a pain riding in the UK and the tracks are not good, is it not possible that just somebody could take notice rather than a mass "stuff 'em" attitude until none are left?

I, personally, believe the riders when they say these things as there are s many saying them. And Jason has stayed here longer than most have. Perhaps they just want things to improve, the same as everyone else.

A very good post.

One that puts that case very well.

Made me rethink my position just a little.

Maybe Mssrs Doyle and Holder could do with you to help their PR.

Nothing that they say seems to ever project the reasonable view.

They always do it in a way that provokes a 'stuff you' response from many of us

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Well we can't afford them, they consider our tracks dangerous and Polish Speedway controls what they can and can't do. If things go wrong elsewhere and they start to drift back, fair enough. Meanwhile we need to look at what we actually have and make the best job of it, if only we could agree what that 'best' actually is. :rolleyes:

That is part of the point Doyle is making….. but it being dismissed by some based on what are seemingly quite arse backwards motives, or mind-sets.

"I can post about Speedway on here all I wish and say how crap the tracks, poor the league structure is etc but how dare a rider say that same thing".

Weird.

So you think Aussie riders own us something for training them? I think that is fair. However, most are incredibly loyal to Britain, in fact the only riders who have thumbed their noses are Ryan Sullivan and Jack Holder. I don't think you can question the loyalty of Doyle, Holder, Schlein, Crump, Adams etc. Therefore I am confused about what point you're trying to make. Do you think they should rider here but not be allowed to voice any negative concerns?

GP was nine rounds in 2005 and ten in 2006 when Adams and Richardson rode for Swindon. Either way, I'm not sure of your point. When have Aussie riders missed British league meetings to ride in the GPs. I can't recall any recently.

So Doyle has basically put himself in the shop window by working his way through British clubs that have little choice on the nights that they run, now that his stock is now sought after across the world he now deems it not for his liking!

Doyle you are a great ambassador for Australian Speedway and any Aussie youngster trying to break in to world speedway, but the platform for them to do so(British speedway) you are now basically either holding a gun to or washing your hands of.

British speedway has been around a lot longer than the likes of Doyle, Holder, Batchelor and co.

Doyle doesn't care about any one except himself , coming his crap about our tracks being dangerous , where was the accident that cost him his world title that assorted arseholes think he deserves , where was the latest accident that bust his foot up ? Let me Guess on the super safe tracks of Europe , Doyles legacy to Australian speedway will be the next generation having the door slammed in their face , that's at least 1 thing he can be thanked for

• Like 1

Can I get odds on Jason Crump making a return to racing and showing these upstarts how to be professional and explaining the art of good manners and some common courtesy to the hosts.

People really do have short memories the times they bring up Crump.

Leigh Adams you might have a point.

Edited by BWitcher

Anyone running a book on how many of the whingers will return to the UK next year?

Can I get odds on Jason Crump making a return to racing and showing these upstarts how to be professional and explaining the art of good manners and some common courtesy to the hosts.

If not can these unhappy chaps leave the UK in peace and ply their trade elsewhere. That will allow U.K. Speedway to regroup which is badly needed and hopefully the punters will get to watch riders who want to ride week in week out and entertain. I will not hold my breath on any of these counts but one can only live in hope.

Crump was the first to desert and head off for Polish money

Crump was the first to desert and head off for Polish money

He was also very vocal when track conditions weren't to his liking and refused to take the 15 metre tac rides.

• Like 1

Liked Doyle, now I don't he's become very whiny. However, he's spot on with everything he said this time.

People really do have short memories the times they bring up Crump.

Leigh Adams you might have a point.

It was more case of they did not slag off The UK and using the names was simply to highlight the different approach and so what if they deserted for the money. Did they slag off all and sundry?

If the current crop believe that things are that bad simply move on but don''t bite the hand that fed you. No one is making these guys ride here. However be careful because as you pass these people on the way up and think you are too good, life has a habit of biting you on the proverbial and you never know when you might need them in the future.

As far as I am aware most of the league clubs in this country guarantee you a weekly ride and in the majority of cases the riders can rely on getting paid. If you fail in Poland or the club over stretches itself what then?

The current crop of Aussies are just not particularly diplomatic in the way they go about their business and it is the attitude which shows just how standards have fallen.They have no class otherwise they would deal with the issues differently and probably find it would work out in their favour.

• Like 2

Strange, but I don't recall Jason Doyle criticising British speedway when he began riding here.

• Like 1

I just dont get this ideal that you cant criticize British Speedway just because it's a starting ground for a lot of riders. Plenty of people are happy to get a job and after a few years have many grumbles about it.

As I said before I dont like what a moaning complaining madam he's become, but in this instance he is right.

It's the "Thou shalt do as I say, or I won't play" attitude that get's people angry. It's not enough to be right, especially if you aspire to true greatness.

And I know he is probably proud of his heritage and rightly so. But now might not be the best time for another Aussie to be throwing his weight around.

• Like 1

It was more case of they did not slag off The UK and using the names was simply to highlight the different approach and so what if they deserted for the money. Did they slag off all and sundry?

If the current crop believe that things are that bad simply move on but don''t bite the hand that fed you. No one is making these guys ride here. However be careful because as you pass these people on the way up and think you are too good, life has a habit of biting you on the proverbial and you never know when you might need them in the future.

As far as I am aware most of the league clubs in this country guarantee you a weekly ride and in the majority of cases the riders can rely on getting paid. If you fail in Poland or the club over stretches itself what then?

The current crop of Aussies are just not particularly diplomatic in the way they go about their business and it is the attitude which shows just how standards have fallen.They have no class otherwise they would deal with the issues differently and probably find it would work out in their favour.

You come back to British Speedway.

Sad but true.

Not particularly professional in their attitudes either.

I loved the way Leigh Adams handled himself - today's Aussies can't hold a candle to him.

• Like 1

You know, a lot of the posters on here wobble on about "free speech", and are quite happy to say what they want because of that. However, when a rider exercises that right, they are instantly deemed to be be ungrateful and insulting. Of course, it's not just a speedway issue; everybody wants to have say say, although much of the time things could be worded a little differently. In some cases, things would be better unsaid.

Having said that, foreign riders do not simply ride in British league speedway for "training" purposes. Yes, it is the way - it traditionally, it was the way - to hone one's skills by competing in Britain. With any sport, one of the best ways to improve and develop is to compete against quality opposition, but let's not forget that applies to the British too, but apparently, British riders don't seem to "owe" British speedway anything, while foreigners do...

The other fact worth mentioning is that people seem to think that speedway riders simply exist for the benefit of the supporters". No, they don't "risk their lives to entertain the public"; they do to earn a living. It is their job. It is a dangerous job, but nobody FORCES them to race. Riders take up speedway because they WANT TO RACE MOTORCYCLES, and it's nice to have a job you love.

As it is their job, a speedway rider has - and in my opinion, SHOULD have - the right to choose when and where they race. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not talking about breaking contracts or stuff like that, but they are no different to the rest of us. If somebody offered you more money and better perks than you get from your current employer, why wouldn't you take it - or at least consider it? A little loyalty doesn't hurt, but It is the individual's choice to race when and where he wants, and for whom he wants. If he feels a change of track - or country - would be beneficial, then good luck to him (and again, no, that doesn't mean he should be slagging off anyone). If a rider wants to retire from the sport altogether for another job - a la Bruce Penhall - or for whatever reason, we shouldn't question it, let alone hate someone for it.

Steve

• Like 3

doyle , the biggest moaner on the planet . if it not ok with him , its not ok.. piss off back to stralia !.

• Like 1