British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RedcarB123

Newcastle V Redcar 3/9/17

Despite all the conflicting views on the makeup of the Newcastle team and the rights and wrongs of the rule book, I have to say this was one of the most entertaining meetings I have been to all season. There was a large contingent of Bears fans (in the context of recent years) probably hopeful of a win against a weakened Newcastle team and with every chance of earning a place in the play offs.

The Redcar riders were certainly up for it and Barker and Garrity rode their hearts out. A special word for Nathan Greaves who gave it his all and put in an exceptional shift - very impressed with his efforts.

For the Diamonds, Ludo and Steve were immense and did the Newcastle team proud especially by holding their nerve in Heat 15 and coming out with an all important 5 1. It wouldn't have happened of course without Bens one point in Heat 14 - reminded me of Jamie Habbin's one point in the nineties which helped us lift the Gold Cup from Peterborough.

Hope the Bears still succeed in reaching playoffs.

One last word, just to mention the youngster who does practice laps before the meeting starts (is it Archie?). He has come on wonders and really does attack the track. With his really smooth style and confident style of riding, he surely is a British star in the making. I'm sure his mentor/s should be congratulated for supporting and encouraging this undoubted talent

Edited by Aceslider
  • Like 2

You may recall an instance last year where Sam Masters was sat in the Craven Suite at Belle Vue watching Wolves operate R/R for himself after there had been an early rain-off of the Edinburgh fixture.

There was an outcry on the BSF over this - ludicrous everyone said.

So this year we have seen the practice change and there have been examples of riders slotting back into their original riding position after rain-offs elsewhere.

Yesterday's Lambert decision seems consistent with that. Yes Newcastle were 'lucky' that Lambert was rained-off, but

if Embelton had ridden I'm sure Redcar would happily have taken the 3/4 points without focusing on how 'lucky' they were to catch Newcastle without a facility for Lambert.

The issue here is (given Perks got back) how did we get to the point where Lambert gives priority to Poland over Newcastle (and how can Diamonds fans complain about Holder's absence for Peterborough last month with a straight face).

The meeting where Robert and Perks was riding in was on Saturday. Robert then had to go to Poland to ride in a Polish Playoff meeting which was then rained off. So Perks had 24 hours to get back, but Robert didn't.

When the Polish meeting was first scheduled, that became the priority meeting, which International rules state it must given priority and the rescheduled meeting with Redcar then did not allow for a facility by British rules. When the Polish meeting was rained off, the reschedule meeting had no opposition so the Redcar meeting had priority and a facility was allowed. I wonder what people would have thought if Robert had managed to get back after the rainoff, and was then refused to ride as he had not been included in the published lineup for the meeting. Surely in that case that would have been even more nonsense that allowing a facility it he could't get back. Totally different scenario to the Holder case and no money passed hands yesterday.

I enjoyed last nights meeting and I thought a draw would of been a fair result and well done to all riders for effort.

Personally I want to see 7 against 7 as that is what I pay to watch and I know Redcar will feel hard done last night

Once R-R was introduced.

I was well impressed with the Bears gating and hope you make the play offs but a tough ask now.

Over many years I would expect nothing else from Newcastle, rules made to be broken..

The usual 'pity me, pity me' chant from Redcar. You are usually better than that NB.

Totally different scenario to the Holder case and no money passed hands yesterday.

'Yesterday' hmmm ;)

• Like 1

The usual 'pity me, pity me' chant from Redcar. You are usually better than that NB.

Isn't Pity Me in County Durham?

As usual a right carry on with the "rules" but you can't blame Newcastle for wanting to have a stronger line up than having to use a NL guest for their No. 1. Every club (including Redcar) would have done the same. It is just the lack of clarity that makes the sport look so amateurish.

Never expected the Bears to win as too many of our riders struggle to ride Brough (for whatever reason) but at least we were competitive for a change.

• Like 2

Well Done to Newcastle, sounds like an excellent meeting.

Regarding the Lambert/RR/polish fiasco - personally I think that if he had been told he had to ride in Poland ahead of Newcastle, then Newcastle shouldn't have been penalised and a facility granted in the first place, and that really is the whole problem.

However having not got a facility to then have it turned around due to rain off in a foreign country is just farcical, I was sat looking at updates and tried to explain to wife and son why Newcastle had a junior in place of number 1 and then why they had a system where others could take rides, when you do this to one who has a basic speedway knowledge and another who has very little it just shows what a total joke the sport is!! In the end my wife gave up and said - "I don't understand any of what you have just said", and my son asked loads of very sensible questions, which I had to try and answer within the complexities of speedway rules! In the end I gave up trying to justify what was happening!

This does open potentially a huge can of worms - I don't know at what time Polish meeting was due to take place, but what if it had been called off at 6.15pm, if Newcastle received a call to let them know at 6.25, could r/r have been installed, or even 6.35 before first heat was run?? What if a rider is due to miss meeting due to doubling up and a guest is booked, however the initial rider gets injured earlier in the day at another meeting, does that then mean guest is invalid and rr has to be used and again how much notice is required?

Personally I'm not overly fussed about Newcastle being able to strengthen at the last minute, it only put them to the correct level and made the meeting a fair contest. Yes as a Bears fan it would have been fantastic to win, but it would have been a hollow victory and forums would have been awash with claims of a false win.

At least with RR in place we achieved a narrow defeat on a level playing field. If, at beginning of season, you had offered me two convincing wins over Newcastle at home, not giving up losing bonus points, and at least one narrow (bonus point) loss away I would have been very happy.

Lets hope next meeting is just as good - I have heard a rumour Lambert is due to ride in some event in Africa, no facility at moment, unless a sandstorm blows in!!!

Edited by northyorksbear
  • Like 3

I enjoyed last nights meeting and I thought a draw would of been a fair result and well done to all riders for effort.

Personally I want to see 7 against 7 as that is what I pay to watch and I know Redcar will feel hard done last night

Once R-R was introduced.

I was well impressed with the Bears gating and hope you make the play offs but a tough ask now.

Quite agree.

The Bears fans turned up for this one in the belief that they would do the clean sweep and beat us both home and away and that was what the Diamonds fans would have also thought as well. But there are changes in life that favour the brave, and fortunately for us a rain off came to our rescue, and this meeting became the priory meeting on the day and a facility was available. The meeting was arranged in the knowledge that we would not have Robert, but was still run presumably to help Redcar and ourselves get a meeting in regardless. Especially as we can't get our other home fixtures in next week, as our opponents are all riding elseswhere.

Surprisingly, it was great to see the return of the Bears fans to Brough, as in the past few years when the Diamonds have been more dominant, whilst we give them their top 2 gates of their year, they don't return that favour away and stay at home. The new feeling with the new promotion is working, they have a better team now, return of their sponsors, better gates, improved track thank goodness, and now supporting their team at Brough. (all except one called Carter of course :P )

Even with RR this going to be a tough battle, with some of our riders having too many poor meetings occasionally. They had to step upto the plate to be able to win, and they did in a most frustrating way. Some hard and tough first bends(and Ben riding into the side of a Diamond rider) kept the scores level for over half of the meeting, but then things changed. A 5-1 to us seemed to ease the situation but Redcar hit back with their 2 1-5's to take the lead which they could not lose surely. Ludde steadied the situation with his usual easy ride in heat 14 leaving the rest hanging on the result of heat 15. Even then the start didn't favour us but, with a joint burst of speed off the second bend, both Stevie and Ludde powered to the front and raced away with the 5-1 we needed to take a win which was never on the cards. Great meeting, served up by 2 hard riding sides with lots of passing, great gating and a decent crowd in attendance.

Apparently amusing scenes when 'the mother and daughter' were berating their fellow Diamonds fans after the 2 1-5's for Redcar, but had to take it back with the heat 15 5-1 to win the meeting. Great.

This would have been a great advert for the sport whether you were an existing fan or a newcomer. Looking forward to the B fixture and more Bears fans. :P

In the NJL final race, young Danny Smith, riding for the Gems, had a nasty "off" into and nearly over the 4th bend air fence. It looked horrendous but nice to report that he was up and about in no time and with no injuries just a nasty fright. Seeing as it was the last race of the meeting, and that the air panel had a 6 ft gash in it, the meeting was abandoned after the 5 heats with the score at 18-12 in favour of the Gems over the Cubs. Another decent youth meeting.

Edited by Tsunami

Norfolk enchants

At least give some examples to back up your opinion. I left wondering here.

Still waiting for his response.. Must be taking some finding to his accusations

Can everyone stop moaning and take a second to congratulate Steve and Ludvig on the best last heat decider I have ever seen...

Not as good as David Bargh and Mark Thorpe in the 1991 Gold Cup final

Did enjoy the meeting and what an end, was as if we won the league, excellent ht15, but Bens 1 point was priceless :)

What ever happened to the 72 hr team declaration thing ?

Did enjoy the meeting and what an end, was as if we won the league, excellent ht15, but Bens 1 point was priceless :)

What ever happened to the 72 hr team declaration thing ?

"thing" being the correct phrase for the speedway rule book.!
  • Like 1

Trivial Thing but:

Can somebody clear something up for me regarding final rider scores. I had in my programme last night that Barker finished with 8+2 and Garrity 10+1, but on walking down to the pits, Barry Wallace announced that Barker scored 9+2 and Garrity 9+1. The Diamonds website has the scores as I had them as does updates but the BSPA has them as Barry Wallace announced them. I was sure that Garrity was third in Heat 15 and I think this is where the error is coming from (albeit my potential error). Totally trivial thing but it's annoying me.

In terms of the meeting, great results and great meeting, particularly the last 3 heats. Great to see so many Redcar fans in attendance, really added to the atmosphere and the stunned looks on the Redcar fans faces after Heat 15 was great but they took it on the chin, respect to them. Great performances by Garrity and Barker (Suicide Squad!!! :o ), always enjoy watching them. Looking forward to the B fixture.

Garrity slowed up on the finish line on lap three and Barker passed him going into the 1st bend on lap 4. Ben finished 3rd, Jason 4th.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. :t:

Trivial Thing but:

Can somebody clear something up for me regarding final rider scores. I had in my programme last night that Barker finished with 8+2 and Garrity 10+1, but on walking down to the pits, Barry Wallace announced that Barker scored 9+2 and Garrity 9+1. The Diamonds website has the scores as I had them as does updates but the BSPA has them as Barry Wallace announced them. I was sure that Garrity was third in Heat 15 and I think this is where the error is coming from (albeit my potential error). Totally trivial thing but it's annoying me.

In terms of the meeting, great results and great meeting, particularly the last 3 heats. Great to see so many Redcar fans in attendance, really added to the atmosphere and the stunned looks on the Redcar fans faces after Heat 15 was great but they took it on the chin, respect to them. Great performances by Garrity and Barker (Suicide Squad!!! :o ), always enjoy watching them. Looking forward to the B fixture.

Garrity gave up on the last lap in heat 15, and was passed by Barker.

Edited by Tsunami