British Speedway Forum
magnus

Speedway 2018

I just looked at the loose change in my pockets..not a 20 to be seen anywhere. Oh and 20 is a lot to me, but that's not the reason I stopped going.

£15 max for top division..

All kids in for free..

When my lad got in for free and it was £15 basically for the two of us I went pretty regular..

Now he is a 14 year old I have to pay for him. Approx £25 in total on average at most tracks we visit..

Add in the usual bit of nosebag, car park and programme at these things and fifty notes can swiftly depart the wallet..

I have to be honest expecting me to attend one of the many Mickey Mouse meetings and pay circa £50 notes every week is a non starter..

Weekly Speedway as has been mentioned with fixed nights would mean circa £200 out of a monthly salary..

For many fans, Speedway isn't their main entertainment fix and is often a 'nice to do' rather than something that you prioritise..

Letting the kids in for free would if nothing else mean more visits from the likes of me (if it has some credibility) and surely its better to have someone visiting say 15 times a year at £10 - £15 that someone attending about five times and paying £25..?

Especially if you own your own track and take the bar, food and car park revenue..

And the place wouldn't look so deserted each week...

Christ speedway has been charging in the teens for donkey's years. High time they charged well into the twenties to keep up. That's the fact of it.

Penny pinching - no need for it and not the reason why folk don't attend. I want a better product and I will gladly pay twice or three times the "£ in the teens" pittance that is nothing these days - if the product is right. How do you think Cardiff can charge way more than £15 - cos the product is right and people do have the money.

but that's not the reason I stopped going.

Nail on head. That's not why folk aren't attending.

In real terms speedway cost less than it did 10 or 20 years ago, yet the crowds are falling.

So it aint the price its the product. Get the product right and people will attend. Simple. That's how Cardiff can charge a lot more than £15 and attract thousands.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway

You're talking bollox!! twenty quid is nothing these days - FACT!! £20 is like a fiver these days. Get over it!!

Not worth taking note. You're talking bollox!! twenty quid is nothing these days - FACT!! £20 is like a fiver these days. Get over it!!

Christ a round costs more than that and I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box the other day. Cos its loose change that's why.

why do you keep talking rubbishe all the time.those 20 quids are a lot to a lot of people.20 quid would only be loose change if people were minted.suggest you take up watching football.that will get rid of any "loose change" you claim to have. only loose i can think you might be is associated with something you might tighten with a screwdriver.FACT.get over it!!

why do you keep talking rubbishe all the time.those 20 quids are a lot to a lot of people.20 quid would only be loose change if people were minted.suggest you take up watching football.that will get rid of any "loose change" you claim to have. only loose i can think you might be is associated with something you might tighten with a screwdriver.FACT.get over it!!

by the way rubbish isn't a spelling error.i did originally put s---e but it didn't get printed

Just my opinion but big names won't bring back big crowds, speedway has its support base plus the odd mate that will tag along.

For example, if Messi was guesting for Blackpool you'd get a stadium full to watch him because football is followed by millions and even non football fans know who he is

I had Luke Barnatt fight on my MMA show, his first fight since being released from the UFC, local essex fighter on a local show, a big draw for the event, casual fans never heard of him so they didn't pay to see a name etc interest was only among mma fans

People who think the crowds will flock back like the 80's need to realise that most of those people have probably sadly passed away

• Like 1

I don't know how to put speedway right, but I think one of its biggest problems is it's a motorbike sport, that has no real relevance to motorbikes as such. Go to other motorbike events and there will be hundreds, often thousands of motorbikes in the car park. At speedway you may be lucky to see 4 or 5. If you can't get bikers into a bike sport, then how you gonna get non bikers. Having said that, most people that watch speedway are non bikers. Maybe speedway needs to change to to bike parts or engines that bikers know of and can affiliate with. And what is that non bikers like about speedway?. Or is it just that their dad took them when they were younger and the still go?

Speedway has never been a bikers sport, hardly know a speedway rider that rides a road bike. I only got involved in 1996 sponsoring a local lad David Meldrum, initially didn't go to watch him going round 4 times in a circle or oval

Christ speedway has been charging in the teens for donkey's years. High time they charged well into the twenties to keep up. That's the fact of it.

Penny pinching - no need for it and not the reason why folk don't attend. I want a better product and I will gladly pay twice or three times the "£ in the teens" pittance that is nothing these days - if the product is right. How do you think Cardiff can charge way more than £15 - cos the product is right and people do have the money.

In real terms speedway cost less than it did 10 or 20 years ago, yet the crowds are falling.

So it aint the price its the product. Get the product right and people will attend. Simple. That's how Cardiff can charge a lot more than £15 and attract thousands.

i will say this only once more.cardiff is aONE A YEAR event thats every 52 weeks or 365 days if you prefer.that is 0.96 pence per week.thats why the crowds are so big! FACT get over it

• Like 1

by the way rubbish isn't a spelling error.i did originally put s---e but it didn't get printed

I'm not talking rubbish - you are.

I'm talking sense but obviously lost on anyone brainless.

All I'm saying is that a round costs more than twenty quid these days. You would think it was hundreds of pounds or thousands - it aint.

And no I aint loaded, I barely earn the average wage. In fact on checking its just under, I only achieve the average wage by working a bit of overtime.

You're talking bollox!! twenty quid is nothing these days - FACT!! £20 is like a fiver these days. Get over it!!

Not worth taking note. You're talking bollox!! twenty quid is nothing these days - FACT!! £20 is like a fiver these days. Get over it!!

Christ a round costs more than that and I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box the other day.

£20 is a lot if you are on a low income and have to prioritise , in the last 6 years hourly rates have been driven down whereby the minimum wage of £7.50 per hr has become the norm. You may be lucky, like myself, if I want something I can afford to get it, not everyone is that fortunate

• Like 2

All I'm saying is that a round costs more than twenty quid these days. You would think it was hundreds of pounds or thousands - it aint.

And no I aint loaded, I barely earn the average wage. In fact on checking its just under, I only achieve the average wage by working a bit of overtime.

suggest you work a bit more overtime then we wouldn't have to endure the brainless tripe that you keep dishing up.

Cardiff is a once in a season event, a holiday at speedway for many fans. We have 6 million JAMs in the UK (just about managing) get real, these guys need to fed their family first

• Like 3

i will say this only once more.cardiff is aONE A YEAR event thats every 52 weeks or 365 days if you prefer.that is 0.96 pence per week.thats why the crowds are so big! FACT get over it

Are you trying to be obtuse. My point was simply that since the gp was invigorated its charging a lot more than the same once a year event did before the change.

People will pay for the right product.

We have 6 million JAMs in the UK (just about managing) get real, these guys need to fed their family first

Hey, I'm one of them.

I would pick new friends pal, I suppose a round for 7 people would be around £20, if it aint you are drinking in the wrong place

• Like 1

suggest you work a bit more overtime then we wouldn't have to endure the brainless tripe that you keep dishing up.

No, don't be so ignorant. I'm talking sense. But obviously lost on you.

In real terms speedway costs less (in real terms) than it did 20 years ago. Prices have remained flat in the teens per match for donkeys years.

A round costs more than twenty quid these days. The other day I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box. I do have a point.

Christ a round costs more than that and I saw a guy casually put a twenty quid note in a charity box the other day.

You must be that Franchetti Guy that I read about in the SS.He splashed the cash in the bar at Powderhall.👍 Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

I would pick new friends pal, I suppose a round for 7 people would be around £20, if it aint you are drinking in the wrong place

So you're saying each drink costs £2.85. What are they drinking, coca cola? A pint of beer in a pub costs more like a fiver. So a round for 7 would be more like £30 - £35.

Let Paulco know there's pints of beer at your pub at £2.85 each - he'll be round in a flash!!