British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How Many Of Us Are Losing Interest.?

I didn't stop going because the racing was boring, or the presentation, or that the centre-green was a mess, or that the chippy on the way home was closing down.

I stopped going because the of the rules and the make-up of the sport. Speedway is still exciting as a spectacle, but when you want a reputable sport that has strong foundations, the racing value is secondary.

So if the racing was fantastic every week, the presentation incredible, the centre green like Kew Gardens, food 5 star and entry free, you still wouldn't go ?

On the other hand, if the racing was rubbish, the presentation non existent and it was £20 to go in but the rules spot on you would ?

:rofl:

The racing is everything, because that's why we go. The corruption at the heart of the sport, doubling up and heaven knows what else are infuriating but when I am watching 4 blokes on bikes with brakes tear round a track they rarely count for anything.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

So if the racing was fantastic every week, the presentation incredible, the centre green like Kew Gardens, food 5 star and entry free, you still wouldn't go ?

On the other hand, if the racing was rubbish, the presentation non existent and it was £20 to go in but the rules spot on you would ?

The racing is everything, because that's why we go. The corruption at the heart of the sport, doubling up and heaven knows what else are infuriating but when I am watching 4 blokes on bikes with brakes tear round a track they rarely count for anything.

My thoughts entirely! And can I just reiterate again for those who don't go anymore but who are still interested in the sport 'you're a long time DEAD`.....
  • Like 1

My thoughts entirely! And can I just reiterate again for those who don't go anymore but who are still interested in the sport 'you're a long time DEAD`.....

...yes but I get great satisfaction in talking, discussing, debating the sport with people and will meet up again with my uncle (who was track photographer at Cowley for a while) when he visits next week for a holiday.

• Like 1

Easy pleased then? Without strong and stable rules, a firm foundation, just how real do we know the racing is? We've all experienced races in which the leader suddenly drifts wide without reason, then is overtaken. Great racing or a more sinister reason?To allow a tactical ride for his team or deny one for the opposition. A sport that allows this to enter a fan's way of thinking has to ask itself why most - even its fans - think its a joker sport.

The fans who will accept anything will no doubt be glad that the X-Factor entertainment season is upon us.

Edited by moxey63

Most knowledgeable fans don't accept anything. We are aware of the problems within the sport and want them to be sorted out so that the sport has more credibility. However, most knowledgeable fans can also identify the difference between a genuine race and the relatively rare occasion when a rider deliberately drifts out to gain a tactical advantage.

What do you want us to do moxey63, stop going so that the sport dies? If you still live in the Manchester area get along to the NSS and if you ever enjoyed speedway you will understand exactly what Halifaxtiger means. Whatever your reservations about the integrity of the sport you cannot help but forget them in the excitement of some of the truly excellent racing. If you can't enjoy that experience then it's not just the credibility of the sport that you can't accept but speedway itself.

Nothing wrong with that. I've taken lots of people over many years who just didn't enjoy the racing but don't decry those who can put the problems of the sport aside whilst watching a brilliant race. Of course the whole experience would be better if the BSPA could get their act together but I was recently talking to a Promoter and he was aware of many of the problems. He wants to do something about them and thinks there is a growing recognition by his fellow promoters that things have to change. If I and others followed your example and stopped attending he and others, will never have the chance to bring about the changes that many of us want to see.

• Like 3

We all want a perfect sport with everything working perfectly, perfect rules, all the best riders, loads of money, thousands of supporters, perfect tracks, perfect stadiums, it's never going to happen .... the men and women who invest in our sport and run it, do their best at the time I guess. The only way we can really have a say is to become promoters ourselves, invest our money, see how things really work. Go for it people .... when I win the lottery I will lol

• Like 1

Easy pleased then? Without strong and stable rules, a firm foundation, just how real do we know the racing is? We've all experienced races in which the leader suddenly drifts wide without reason, then is overtaken. Great racing or a more sinister reason?To allow a tactical ride for his team or deny one for the opposition. A sport that allows this to enter a fan's way of thinking has to ask itself why most - even its fans - think its a joker sport.

The fans who will accept anything will no doubt be glad that the X-Factor entertainment season is upon us.

Speedway just doesn’t seem to be for you, trolling on a speedway forum does though.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

Speedway just doesn’t seem to be for you, trolling on a speedway forum does though.

When the World's Leading Speedway magazine carries an article about British racing being at a crisis, you can't blame its problems on one troll.

• Like 3

When the World's Leading Speedway magazine carries an article about British racing being at a crisis, you can't blame its problems on one troll.

Oh the article is excellent, a really good insightful read - a thought provoking look at the issues the sport currently faces.

You though, are a dullard, and have no link to that article.

Oh the article is excellent, a really good insightful read - a thought provoking look at the issues the sport currently faces.

You though, are a dullard, and have no link to that article.

The article is excellent, echoes my views entirely... so why the insults? You either agree with the article, as I do, in which case you must agree with me. I need a sat nav to see where you're coming from.

We all want a perfect sport with everything working perfectly, perfect rules, all the best riders, loads of money, thousands of supporters, perfect tracks, perfect stadiums, it's never going to happen .... the men and women who invest in our sport and run it, do their best at the time I guess. The only way we can really have a say is to become promoters ourselves, invest our money, see how things really work. Go for it people .... when I win the lottery I will lol

it will never be perfect no sport is but we are trying to sell a team sport while ignoring the basics of team sport, sorry to keep banging on about Poland but for all their issues and they have a few they sell a team sport to the fans and the fans back it in big numbers , there is no crossover until it comes to the national team , until this is addressed here we will never recover domestic speedway no matter what else we do , we all remember going away to support our team at a dump of a track and the racing was crap and we lost but it didn't matter cause it was our team with our riders and we had a blast , that's what we need to get back otherwise team speedway is pointless , on the point of having a go at promoting , what has happened to anyone who has come in with great vision and tried to change the sport ?
  • Like 5

Nobody is blaming the serious problems on anybody but those who have governed the sport.

The point is that we all want those problems to be addressed and resolved but that all is not lost, there is still much about the sport to be enjoyed.

• Like 5

The article is excellent, echoes my views entirely... so why the insults? You either agree with the article, as I do, in which case you must agree with me. I need a sat nav to see where you're coming from.

it isn't an insult, it's an observation - I find you a dullard, your continual verbiage about how awful speedway and it's fans who attend are is like accidently stepping in dog sh*t on a pavement while out trying to enjoy a walk - hope that clears it up for you.

it isn't an insult, it's an observation - I find you a dullard, your continual verbiage about how awful speedway and it's fans who attend are is like accidently stepping in dog sh*t on a pavement while out trying to enjoy a walk - hope that clears it up for you.

:lol:

Then I forbid you from reading my posts. If I'm a dullard, please do NOT (DO NOT) reply to my posts.

At a time when British speedway is in crisis, you'd rather choose an argument with me. For god's sake man, concentrate all your energies into steering the ship away from the iceberg. Some people eh... it's like calling a loved one of theirs.

Either the problems are with your sort, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, who'll put up with anything and stand on the terraces watching anything that allows them to wield pen on programme, or the ones who have stooped attending... who the World's leading Speedway magazine sort of siding with.

Edited by moxey63

it will never be perfect no sport is but we are trying to sell a team sport while ignoring the basics of team sport, sorry to keep banging on about Poland but for all their issues and they have a few they sell a team sport to the fans and the fans back it in big numbers , there is no crossover until it comes to the national team , until this is addressed here we will never recover domestic speedway no matter what else we do , we all remember going away to support our team at a dump of a track and the racing was crap and we lost but it didn't matter cause it was our team with our riders and we had a blast , that's what we need to get back otherwise team speedway is pointless , on the point of having a go at promoting , what has happened to anyone who has come in with great vision and tried to change the sport ?

As with all things, you have to change from the inside, slowly does it.

This year loads of promoters are trying really hard to promote, coming up with some great ideas, giving a real feelgood ambience around their club, all clubs should be doing it 100%.