British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Swindon Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/17

I wonder which Jason Doyle will turn up Monday.

Just had a mare of a meeting with 4 points from 4 rides and seemed out of sorts. Wasn't even chosen in last nominated heats.

Didn't do his team any favours as they drew at home 45-45 but went out over 2 legs with a 10 point defeat. His 7 points from 5 rides in the first leg wasn't great either.

Arguably over the 2 legs his combined scores cost them a final place.

Think we know where his head is currently. Now he has his 10 point league in the SGP he will be eager to insure he doesn't get injured like last year when so close it cost him the WC. Maybe psychologically he is looking after himself to insure no repeat performance with only 3 GP meetings left.

Some riders I'd agree with you on but Doyle can only go flat out if he crashes, it's why he didn't team ride. Doyle giving any less than 100% is more dangerous for Doyle than not.

Don't think there's any doubt that all 14 riders will give 100% tomorrow night. Some will do better than expected and some less so, though through no lack of effort.

Think Pirates will need at least a ten point lead to take to Blunsdon and it is probably out of our reach but the lads will give it all they have. If we come up short, so be it. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. We are huge underdogs on this occasion and the table doesn't lie. Anything other than Swindon going through to the final will be classed as a huge shock to UK speedway.

Go shock the speedway world, Pirates! We can do this!

• Like 3

If you look at the updates from Peterborough, it is a bonus for Poole that Jack seems to be in good form, therefore should be capable of 7-8 points but i feel the reserve battle could be key with it seems very little between BWD and Starke although i think Shanes should have the edge over Davey. Overall it could be a close meeting and maybe a bit of luck either way or a rider from either side not performing that could swing it and with no tactical rides that could be in Poole's favour as we haven't got a rider like Doyle who should be unbeatable on a double points ride.

Swindon are favourites and logically with the riders they have should win over two legs but sometimes speedway isn't logical and strange results happen hopefully!

• Like 1

I don't know what the weather is like in Dorset but just well the first leg isn't at Blunsdon because it is so wet this morning in Wiltshire

The forecast for Poole looks like heavy showers all day up intill 9 .The best course of action would be for a early call off to save everyone a lot of time and effort.

Doubt they will as its on tv and would cost too much extra. And as Swindon is not very far to come they will leave any call off to the last minute.

As always and repeatedly mentioned the reserve races will be important as always in a two legged semi final. Take the best scenario for the pirates a 5-1 in both races and an 8 point swing certainly food for thought.

Are we expecting a potato field later then? Please can you update us on the weather. It's sodden up in Swindon.

Doubt they will as its on tv and would cost too much extra. And as Swindon is not very far to come they will leave any call off to the last minute.

Please can you update us on the weather. It's sodden up in Swindon.

Early doors still and with showers predicted it's when and where they hit. We're just over a mile from the track and it's damp from overnight showers and had one lightish shower so far but the current bun is out and it looks a nice day ..... but it's 9:20 so who knows what i's going to be like at 19:30.

PS Doyle will give 100% tonight. He's still got a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Poole.

Early doors still and with showers predicted it's when and where they hit. We're just over a mile from the track and it's damp from overnight showers and had one lightish shower so far but the current bun is out and it looks a nice day ..... but it's 9:20 so who knows what i's going to be like at 19:30.

PS Doyle will give 100% tonight. He's still got a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Poole.

The showers must be localised then as I'm 15 miles away and the rain is crazy! Hopefully it's completely missed Poole then :)

Barry I spoke to Roy early and he said track was very slippery but weather very windy so will depend on frequency, length & intensity of showers. Matt will try & get it on & with TV it will be late call I imagine. Usually wet tracks favour away team. I agree about Doyle but after last year not so sure he will prejudice his WC if wet & heavy. My guess is that it will be off. Presume Wed. reserve date?

Edited by Supersub
  • Like 1

As the days warms up the showers will develop. Pointless in saying what is happening right now.

Forecasts predict that the showers will build and then start to fade late afternoon.

As always and repeatedly mentioned the reserve races will be important as always in a two legged semi final. Take the best scenario for the pirates a 5-1 in both races and an 8 point swing certainly food for thought.

BWD should have the beating of our reserves.

Why? Starke should be favourite he's currently up a rung from Bradley and I totally disagree Poole are overwhelming underdogs also...you have found some form we have lost a bit so in my book I fancy Poole are slight favourites especially if Bellego has still got a downer on

As the days warms up the showers will develop. Pointless in saying what is happening right now.

Forecasts predict that the showers will build and then start to fade late afternoon.

Paul Starke averages a point more than BWD who also is just coming back from injury............................why should BWD beat him?

Why? Starke should be favourite he's currently up a rung from Bradley and I totally disagree Poole are overwhelming underdogs also...you have found some form we have lost a bit so in my book I fancy Poole are slight favourites especially if Bellego has still got a downer on

Beat me to it lol. Its Paul Starke the premier league heat leader against BWD the premier league second string........of course in Shovvy world he feels BWD will beat Starke at Starkes home track!!

It called the Steve Shovlar tactic of saying how Poole are huge outsiders.

The speedway world knows that Poole are in form and Swindon are not, riders like Bellego are out of form and the loss of Zach is huge and BWD probably not 100%. Poole reserves should walk all over Swindons in this match.

Poole should win tonight not by much but by 6 points i reckon

Edited by Gavan