British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

It's a case of doing what Poland want and hope all will work out. Watch Poland add Fridays and possibly Wednesdays to their racing calendar once we implement this.

Easy. You have the riders ride for the team you want to run in the Premiership next year ;-)

Think they will be happy to have Friday, Saturday and Sunday and leave Wednesday to Denmark.

Think they will be happy to have Friday, Saturday and Sunday and leave Wednesday to Denmark.

So they are expanding their nights but expecting us to do the opposite. Thought the original idea was for all countries to have set nights for everyones mutual benefit.

So they are expanding their nights but expecting us to do the opposite. Thought the original idea was for all countries to have set nights for everyones mutual benefit.

They are not really expanding- for the last few years the Extraleague have had league fixtures on Friday`s and Saturdays- mainly for TV purposes- think they had 7 Friday`s this season- obviously this and the signing of the priority form has caused certain problems.

One thing they did this year which probably annoyed the BSPA considerably was to put a meeting on Good Friday- Easter Monday has always been the Poles day and never on Good Friday.

Edited by racers and royals

They are not really expanding- for the last few years the Extraleague have had league fixtures on Friday`s and Saturdays- mainly for TV purposes- think they had 7 Friday`s this season- obviously this and the signing of the priority form has caused certain problems.

One thing they did this year which probably annoyed the BSPA considerably was to put a meeting on Good Friday- Easter Monday has always been the Poles day and never on Good Friday.

the strange thing is the polish fans dont like fridays and they get low crowds in comparison to Sundays but I guess its the TV that counts

the strange thing is the polish fans dont like fridays and they get low crowds in comparison to Sundays but I guess its the TV that counts

In my opinion there is certainly a bit of a power struggle going on between the Extraleague and the PZM. It would have unthinkable in previous seasons for the Extraleague to re-arrange a postponed league match for a Thursday reserved for the Polish championship semi`s, but this is what happened in 2017 and the semi`s couldn`t be run. The Extraleague also scheduled the Extraleague riders championship for a Monday night- when previously they would have used a blank Sunday.

Surely there is some kind of EU law that prevents the Polish league putting restrictions on riders and where they can earn their money?

This often comes up. No, theres not. It's perfectly reasonable to put an exclusivity clause in a contract. Many people do it. In fact I bet your contract of employment has one.

You really should be very very careful what you print uk martin Terry as the best barristers in the country, and unless you can provide this statement you could find your self in big trouble

Then I'm in deep doo-doo then, as proving it will be very difficult, bearing in mind that the first incarnation of his "GoSpeed" company ceased trading in 2010 leaving £30,000 of unpaid debts. Charming eh?

To be honest I liked how Stewksbury ran the old National League back in the late 1980s. His plan to bring the then BL and NL together was the last time the promoter's came up with anything like away forward.

To be honest I liked how Stewksbury ran the old National League back in the late 1980s. His plan to bring the then BL and NL together was the last time the promoter's came up with anything like away forward.

That plan just struck me as a vehicle for getting Poole into the British League cheaply. Any plan that doesn't address the long-term issues with equitable rider distribution, the transfer market, and rider development and progression is always going to be doomed to failure.

The National League appeared healthy in the 1980s, but the second tier is only protected from the issues in the top tier whilst there is a top league, and of course there were fewer commuting riders at that level in those days. If the top league disappears, how long would it be before ambitious teams (run by hobbyist promoters) started paying over the odds for particular riders, and the star riders started wanting to miss meetings to ride in other leagues and international competitions?

Seems reasonable if the UK are moving to Monday and Thursday fixed race nights. After all, this was a proposal made by the Polish authorities.

I will say this for the THIRD time the BSPA have already made a big mistake going for Mondays & Thursdays (Premier league) in 2018.

It has to be Wednesdays & Fridays surely. If you are trying to attract at least one "name" per team - do those "names" want to ride: Sunday Poland, Monday U.K., Tuesday Sweden on a weekly basis then add a Saturday G.P. on 8 of the weeks!

I'm I the only one that can see this?

That plan just struck me as a vehicle for getting Poole into the British League cheaply. Any plan that doesn't address the long-term issues with equitable rider distribution, the transfer market, and rider development and progression is always going to be doomed to failure.

The National League appeared healthy in the 1980s, but the second tier is only protected from the issues in the top tier whilst there is a top league, and of course there were fewer commuting riders at that level in those days. If the top league disappears, how long would it be before ambitious teams (run by hobbyist promoters) started paying over the odds for particular riders, and the star riders started wanting to miss meetings to ride in other leagues and international competitions?

We have ended up there now riders missing through riding abroad or for other teams. That plan was the last time the sport really tried to change since then it has just been cut cut cut. Attending Ipswich during their NL days was a pleasure those 7 guys were my team week in week out no chance of being injured riding for someone else and at least 22 heats of racing every week oh happy days.... With no guest!

I will say this for the THIRD time the BSPA have already made a big mistake going for Mondays & Thursdays (Premier league) in 2018.

It has to be Wednesdays & Fridays surely. If you are trying to attract at least one "name" per team - do those "names" want to ride: Sunday Poland, Monday U.K., Tuesday Sweden on a weekly basis then add a Saturday G.P. on 8 of the weeks!

I think you are !! what night will Denmark have then ? bearing in mind they use quite a few Polish riders who do Sweden Tuesday/Denmark Wednesday. GB is not in a great position to be calling the shots- however much you would like it. Friday`s are a problem because of GP practice and the Friday Polish league matches. I don`t think Monday`s over here would be too much of a problem- just a flight Monday morning from Poland and a flight to Sweden Tuesday morning - no big deal. It`s far more of a case that GB is the least favourable of the league`s for the foreign riders now.

Edited by racers and royals

Then I'm in deep doo-doo then, as proving it will be very difficult, bearing in mind that the first incarnation of his "GoSpeed" company ceased trading in 2010 leaving £30,000 of unpaid debts. Charming eh?

The winding-up notice made interesting reading, but no sign on that occasion of the full force of rigorous investigatory journalism that spawned a two-week serial on a mentally ill individual.

I think you are !! what night will Denmark have then ? bearing in mind they use quite a few Polish riders who do Sweden Tuesday/Denmark Wednesday. GB is not in a great position to be calling the shots- however much you would like it. Friday`s are a problem because of GP practice and the Friday Polish league matches. I don`t think Monday`s over here would be too much of a problem- just a flight Monday morning from Poland and a flight to Sweden Tuesday morning - no big deal. It`s far more of a case that GB is the least favourable of the league`s for the foreign riders now.

It may unfortunately effect Denmark, but I still think it's the only option for the U.K. As for "G.P. Fridays" then forward planning is all that's required!

Lindgren has done it for years....