British Speedway Forum
Theboss

In My View By Phil Rising

I think you have got one little word too many in that post.......'if'. :lol: I reckon Leicester want to drop down but doubt if the Tigers want to go up so the matches should be very interesting, once they sort out exactly who is riding for who. :P

.............. and who is going to win. :shock::shock::wink::blink:

I will say this for the THIRD time the BSPA have already made a big mistake going for Mondays & Thursdays (Premier league) in 2018.

It has to be Wednesdays & Fridays surely. If you are trying to attract at least one "name" per team - do those "names" want to ride: Sunday Poland, Monday U.K., Tuesday Sweden on a weekly basis then add a Saturday G.P. on 8 of the weeks!

I'm I the only one that can see this?

You must be a member of the BSPA.

Some none thought out logic you have.

Denmark ride Wednesday's and they also have the odd fixture Friday.

As do the Pole's ride TV matches on a Friday evening.

SGP, SGP Qualifiers, SEC, Pairs etc also run practice on a Friday.

British Speedway's only option is a Monday and Thursday for fixed race nights.

I will say this for the THIRD time the BSPA have already made a big mistake going for Mondays & Thursdays (Premier league) in 2018.

It has to be Wednesdays & Fridays surely. If you are trying to attract at least one "name" per team - do those "names" want to ride: Sunday Poland, Monday U.K., Tuesday Sweden on a weekly basis then add a Saturday G.P. on 8 of the weeks!

No. The difficulty in attracting top riders willing to race in the UK on a Monday was one of the reasons Belle Vue changed to Friday. Wolverhampton have also said the same. We seem to have a good relationship with Denmark and I am sure we could work around each others fixtures. Whatever days we choose the Poles will disregard if it suits them to do so. Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

Why should British league speedway be organised to fit in with other countries' requirements

Let's build our own structure, around riders who will commit to BL racing, at tracks which run on the nights (or days) most beneficial to themselves

It may be a slow burner to begin with, but let's use our own building blocks and not cow tow to the greed of others

Make it so there's enough racing to be had in the UK for those who want to race

One big league, a proper KO Cup, regional comps, individual meetings

Riders, commit to the UK, or go

• Like 6

Why should British league speedway be organised to fit in with other countries' requirements

Because it's a minority sport with limited resources - tracks, riders, money. They need to work in some sort of harmony to prevent further dilution.

And also because the advent of cheap air travel has made Europe and very commutable area.

Let's build our own structure, around riders who will commit to BL racing, at tracks which run on the nights (or days) most beneficial to themselves

We have, it's called the National League.

It may be a slow burner to begin with, but let's use our own building blocks and not cow tow to the greed of others

Too late, who's going to support and fund it?

Make it so there's enough racing to be had in the UK for those who want to race

It would seem that there aren't enough who want to race - otherwise we wouldn't have so much doubling up / down - would we?

One big league, a proper KO Cup, regional comps, individual meetings

Dream on! Promoters can't agree things amongst themselves in the current small sized leagues - one big league MIGHT work with an independent administration.

Riders, commit to the UK, or go

They've already gone.....

Edited by woofers
  • Like 1

Would Wednesdays & Thursdays be the best days to suit the U.K. top league? I just can't see any long term future with Mondays.

Therefore the U.K. middle league run Fridays & Saturdays. The Conference league Sundays & Mondays (if required). The middle & lower league should only contain riders that are U.K. based for the season. I know this will never happen but it would save a fortune on travel cost!

Would Wednesdays & Thursdays be the best days to suit the U.K. top league? I just can't see any long term future with Mondays.

Therefore the U.K. middle league run Fridays & Saturdays. The Conference league Sundays & Mondays (if required). The middle & lower league should only contain riders that are U.K. based for the season. I know this will never happen but it would save a fortune on travel cost!

Once again Stadia availability has to be taken in to account.

What if that suggestion cause Track to close? What is your answer to that?

Or perhaps you will just say - Tough.

I would be interested to know.

Once again Stadia availability has to be taken in to account.

What if that suggestion cause Track to close? What is your answer to that?

Or perhaps you will just say - Tough.

I would be interested to know.

The future of U.K. Speedway is in a sink or swim situation, I think everyone agrees with that. Unless major changes are made we will be left with 6-8 tracks in total! Having the top league race Mondays makes no sense & will not be sustainable. The solution will be the league a team competes in will be determined by the day/days your track is available - Tough may be for some tracks but we are looking @ the overall survival of Speedway in the U.K. Your views please Phil Rising.

Surely the asvantage of Monday is that unlike Wednesday it does not clash with Denmark and it seems to be a night favoured by TV. And all clubs seem to have been able to run on a Monday for to fixtures.

What a shame Ole Olsen's Flying Circus caused British Speedway to lose thousands of spectators when they took Saturday night racing off our calendar

Think of the "major" clubs which rode on Saturdays - Belle Vue, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Kings Lynn, Swindon, Wembley, etc

No concerns about youngsters being out late before a schoolday

Thanks, Great Pain

• Like 3

The future of U.K. Speedway is in a sink or swim situation, I think everyone agrees with that. Unless major changes are made we will be left with 6-8 tracks in total! Having the top league race Mondays makes no sense & will not be sustainable. The solution will be the league a team competes in will be determined by the day/days your track is available - Tough may be for some tracks but we are looking @ the overall survival of Speedway in the U.K. Your views please Phil Rising.

I don't want any more Tracks to close.

You are correct when you say things need to change. It is how that change is managed that is important.

Forcing Clubs to change their Meeting days could and probably will result in Track closures.

You say "tough" for some Tracks. I sincerely hope one of them isn't yours.

I'm sorry I just don't get how saving Speedway equates with Track closures.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

I don't get why people are thinking this 'fixed night' proposal has only just come up. The BSPA members have been discussing introducing it for at least 3 agms in order to give clubs the opportunity to decide the best 2 nights for the Premiership and negotiations to take place for other clubs and their landlords where necessary.

Premiership clubs have been used to running on Mondays for TV. Wednesdays (the other main option to Thursdays) would impact on the Danish League who the BSPA wish to keep in with and would impact on some Danes who will wish to race over here!! Championship teams will have the pick of all the other nights/days.

Our 'beloved' BSPA Chairman has stated recently that all clubs affected are in agreement - they just have to vote it in at this year's agm and rubber stamp it!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

I don't get why people are thinking this 'fixed night' proposal has only just come up. The BSPA members have been discussing introducing it for at least 3 agms in order to give clubs the opportunity to decide the best 2 nights for the Premiership and negotiations to take place for other clubs and their landlords where necessary.

Premiership clubs have been used to running on Mondays for TV. Wednesdays (the other main option to Thursdays) would impact on the Danish League who the BSPA wish to keep in with and would impact on some Danes who will wish to race over here!! Championship teams will have the pick of all the other nights/days.

Our 'beloved' BSPA Chairman has stated recently that all clubs affected are in agreement - they just have to vote it in at this year's agm and rubber stamp it!

We can only wait and see.

I don't want any more Tracks to close.

You are correct when you say things need to change. It is how that change is managed that is important.

Forcing Clubs to change their Meeting days could and probably will result in Track closures.

You say "tough" for some Tracks. I sincerely hope one of them isn't yours.

I'm sorry I just don't get how saving Speedway equates with Track closures.

I have not said that any tracks need to close.... But if a track can't race on the set-out race nights for the league it would like to be in it "simply" has to operate in a different league.

We all agree that U.K. speedway is in a desperate state, if the U.K. just carry on tweaking this & tweaking that it will die in 3 to 4 years.

Desperate needs = desperate measures.