British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

However, as Lucifer Sam states, I'm a dinosaur, so what do I know apart from the fact that there were a lot more people attending Speedway before they had the 'Play Offs'.

But there not in other sports who's crowds have gone up ..so speedway fans are the only sports fans who don't go anymore because of the Play Offs .

Ipswich PlayOff meeting delayed to get all the crowd in tonight. Shocking isn't it. :P

First race started on time at 7.45 as always 😜

Watched by about 4500 people 😲😲

First race started on time at 7.45 as always

Watched by about 4500 people

Just going off a comment from Sue on the Updates site fueltaps.

Wow, that's an unknown number of folks for the Championships(Premier that was). Well done.

Why didn't the ref just abandon the meeting when it was won, meaning the damaged panels could be left for later. Seems a damper if folks have to stand around trying to celebrate, whilst the fence is mended and races that mean nothing are run.

It could even be more.

Main stand has 3500 seats and was 3 quarters full.

Packed in home straight stand.

Bends 1 and 2 terraces and along backstraight 10 or more deep - and the Foxhall terraces are big.

• Like 1

But there not in other sports who's crowds have gone up ..so speedway fans are the only sports fans who don't go anymore because of the Play Offs .

Well you certainly don't..

Just going off a comment from Sue on the Updates site fueltaps.

Wow, that's an unknown number of folks for the Championships(Premier that was). Well done.

Why didn't the ref just abandon the meeting when it was won, meaning the damaged panels could be left for later. Seems a damper if folks have to stand around trying to celebrate, whilst the fence is mended and races that mean nothing are run.

They announced there would be a slight delay at around 7.30 due to the amount of people still waiting to come in....but then started right on time!

I disagree with the second point, the fence was put back up very quickly and I would have felt shortchanged if the meeting had been abandoned at that point, I've paid for 15 heats so I want to see 15 heats! It's why I can never understand the ones who leave before heat 15 is run, you may be losing (or the meeting already lost) but you could also miss an absolute belter of a heat by leaving early.

Also just to go back to a point earlier in the thread, admission price was the same as any other meeting tonight.

Edited by crazysue
  • Like 1

Sitting where I do any announcement of a delay would not reach us! 🔇🔇

• Like 1

Hey mate are you coming to the speedway again?

No I'll wait 'till the play offs, I like the big crowd atmosphere, it just seems better.

Oh right.

• Like 1

Hey mate are you coming to the speedway again?

No I'll wait 'till the play offs, I like the big crowd atmosphere, it just seems better.

Oh right.

It doesn't work like that. But if it floats your boat, fair enough.

It doesn't work like that. But if it floats your boat, fair enough.

How does it work then?

How does it work then?

Crowds for regular meetings would be the same whether you have play-offs or not.

Crowds took a massive dip during the 1990s, before play-offs were introduced.

The play-offs at the end of the season simply mean the teams get a chance of a bumper crowd. Take the away the play-offs and that opportunity is lost.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Crowds for regular meetings would be the same whether you have play-offs or not.

The play-offs at the end of the season simply mean the teams get a chance of a bumper crowd. Take the away the play-offs and that opportunity is lost.

All the best

Rob

How does it work then?

Speedway fan s crowd in the higher ... butit was then before in .

Like Lucifer said. :P

? Did Fred forget to change alias there, and obviously switched off the real dictionary spellchecker as well. :D

I described a scenario where fans miss the regular season but go along to the play offs and you counted that by describing a scenario where fans miss the regular season but go along to the play offs.

• Like 1

All the best

Rob

That's a moot point which'll never be proved one way or the other but certainly, as a peripatetic fan, I and the up to four folk I go with never attend a match involving a team for whom play-off qualification is assured. I'd rather go to a match involving the bottom two on the same day.

We've never been to a play-off either.

• Like 1