British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington V Edinburgh 16/09/17 7:00pm Champ

Unfortunately my post was made before I realised the two were missing (forgot it was the SGBPRC on the same night). Once upon a time, you weren't allowed to run on the same night/day as a Shared Event. I know they have to get the fixtures in, but could they not have ran on a different night?

thats way too easy , running it on another night . who would have thought of that ?

also i think the workington promotion are to blame as well for not juggling the monarchs fixture around .I.M.O.

Edited by jenga

thats way too easy , running it on another night . who would have thought of that ?

also i think the workington promotion are to blame as well for not juggling the monarchs fixture around .I.M.O.

I'm pretty sure it would have been had the monarchs top two been missing

Unfortunately my post was made before I realised the two were missing (forgot it was the SGBPRC on the same night). Once upon a time, you weren't allowed to run on the same night/day as a Shared Event. I know they have to get the fixtures in, but could they not have ran on a different night?

Not an unreasonable point but Workington have 4 home meetings left so they are into October without any rain offs. I can't help but think that the attendance won't be affected by the absence of Cook and Jorgensen anyway.

I think its make your mind up time for the people of Workington to decide whether they want a speedway team or not. Gates haven't been brilliant all season but I am told they have been disastrous recently.

Laura Morgan has been pretty honest about the prospects for 2018 unless attendances improve and I hope people respond - its a good racing track, the team is still attractive and the promotion are as good as any.

This date has been an official fixture since the start of the season so Comets wouldn't have been looking to change it anyway? What's exacerbated the situation is that Jorgensen only joined Kings Lynn half way thru the season but has made such a good job of it he's now top man and their representative whereas before it may just have been Craig we were looking at a replacement for?

Edinburgh are at home tonight, at our's tomorrow and we are at Scunny on Sunday so this weekend would be unrealistic and, as you say, we are struggling with dates it would have made no sense to give up another Saturday for some other event elsewhere, doing that, blanks and rain offs have hurt us badly this year and it really would have been suicidal to throw another meeting, on a reasonable forecast for tomorrow, to some other time in the season?

Not sure of any other days we can use now but normally it's only been Friday, Saturday or Sunday, there could be other's but I wouldn't like to bet on it, planning permission etc? :unsure:

I guess I like many locally based speedway fans need to answer the question of how much we want to see Workington continue.

Unfortunately, too many fans have dwindled away over the course of this season and seasons past. In comparison to many other tracks, the promotion have been pro-active in trying to promote the sport but the Comets have consistently fielded (in my opinion) unattractive teams.

On paper, the side assembled at the start of this season was always going to be mid-table at best, as the likes of Jorgensen, Proctor and Roynon were unlikely to improve much beyond their starting average leaving Workington over-reliant on Craig Cook to score a maximum (or close to) week in week out.

Since then, Roynon has been replaced by Sargeant, which has proved to be a pretty disastrous signing and with Rob Shuttleworth deciding that reserve pay rates did make ends meet the Comets have been left fielding an unattached reserve week in week out. Both moves have taken further scoring power out of the team leading to poor results and a further diminishment of interest. With Craig Cook being absent on occasions, the Comets have been left without a big hitter further reducing the likelihood of victory and dare I say it interest.

The weather has equally been pretty disastrous with rain-off upon rain-off leaving big gaps on occasions between home meetings with further diminishment of interest.

I guess I like many locally based speedway fans need to answer the question of how much we want to see Workington continue.

Unfortunately, too many fans have dwindled away over the course of this season and seasons past. In comparison to many other tracks, the promotion have been pro-active in trying to promote the sport but the Comets have consistently fielded (in my opinion) unattractive teams.

On paper, the side assembled at the start of this season was always going to be mid-table at best, as the likes of Jorgensen, Proctor and Roynon were unlikely to improve much beyond their starting average leaving Workington over-reliant on Craig Cook to score a maximum (or close to) week in week out.

Since then, Roynon has been replaced by Sargeant, which has proved to be a pretty disastrous signing and with Rob Shuttleworth deciding that reserve pay rates did make ends meet the Comets have been left fielding an unattached reserve week in week out. Both moves have taken further scoring power out of the team leading to poor results and a further diminishment of interest. With Craig Cook being absent on occasions, the Comets have been left without a big hitter further reducing the likelihood of victory and dare I say it interest.

The weather has equally been pretty disastrous with rain-off upon rain-off leaving big gaps on occasions between home meetings with further diminishment of interest.

Your questions have answered themselves, that is what the problems have been in the past and continues to be now, unless SGB can come up with a formula that provides consistency of the product we will continue to have a sport in decline?

As for the Comets situation I will continue to get down as much as possible but for me the writing is on the wall for the very reasons you quote, it's become too much of the same old same old, start with a team, end up with a team of individuals, too many meetings lost, too many blank weekends, too many allowances made for under performing riders, a few poor results and off we go again?

Far too many supporters have left, probably never to return to make the club viable as things stand, crowds of 300/350 are not going to sustain the club and unless we stop tinkering with rules/team builds and, in the case of the Comets, put together a competitive side that can consistently race together we will never break the cycle that we are currently in?

This team is failing because it hasn't come together soon enough and at this stage of the season, when the prizes have gone for another year, you won't see too many big returns from riders as their eyes will be on a job for next year, just take it in turns, do what needs doing and hope it's enough for the win, it happens all the time, supporters know that and as a result, it's bye bye til next time, the only time you'll stop that is when we as a team are competing at the business end and not just watching the season fading away?

If we run next year I would suggest a far more robust team management than we currently have, if you allow failing riders to perform every week you are effectively rewarding riders for doing exactly that, supporters then reward you by not turning up, even if you change and it doesn't solve the problem your at least being seen to be making an effort and that would stand you in far better stead than persevering with no hopers, change the riding order, freshen things up, do something different, not what we do now, too little too late? :t:

Strangely (?) he scored 12+2 tonight guesting for Glasgow at Edinburgh!!

• Like 1

dont worry , it will be normal service at the weekend .

god , what am i doing posting at this time of morning .

if the average fixer can carry on from tonights performance , workington have a slim chance of a win , just .

• Like 1

Sarjeant was excellent last night possibly tired later on but the best I have ever seen him.

The shared event shouldn't be anywhere near the cut off date and fair play to Workington for putting a meeting on that could still be vital to decide the play off teams.

• Like 2

Sarjeant was excellent last night possibly tired later on but the best I have ever seen him.

The shared event shouldn't be anywhere near the cut off date and fair play to Workington for putting a meeting on that could still be vital to decide the play off teams.

And with the team worky have been forced to track, monarchs fans may require a calculator

So, we're using R/R coz we cant find any rider for Craig, the last few posts have asked, do we want speedway in Workington, and then we get this situation straight away, answers on a postcard?? :(

I think this has just shown up what a disaster the Premiership is when their individual Championship is populated "virtually" by Championship Ht Leaders? :oops:

• Like 6

be careful lord lucan for posting what you and EVERYONE else thinks . you may get a 28 day ban or even a 9 month one lol.

not good to see the bspa reading the beano and dandy while they could be working out how to save British speedway from being history !

where the heck has all the top flight racers gone , ? we seem to have them in our league.

but cant use them !

• Like 1

Is Sarj on a wind up? Deserves to be fined/sacked/released, his performances for Workington have been shambolic.

• Like 3

Is Sarj on a wind up? Deserves to be fined/sacked/released, his performances for Workington have been shambolic.

That's the problem they can't get shot,and he knows it,he can do what he wants,and after tonight probably the final nail in the coffin of Workington speedway seems everyones just given up,the management seemingly a long time ago
  • Like 1

Hate to say it but after tonightit looks highly unlikely the Comets will be back in 2108.

Well done Edinburgh, Wells and Erik Riss were superb.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 1