British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Lakeside V Belle Vue 29th September Play-off Semi 1st Leg

Makeshift Colts keeping it close but I think they'll run out of stream towards the end.

All the years I have been coming speedway seeing Edwards winning his first heat was one of my favourite moments. A local boy who I have seen improve over the years before meetings making his debut and winning is what the National League should be about. After one last place he was superb all meeting. Well done Jason and I hope to see you for the hammers in the future. From what I saw in the pits Kelvin was spending a lot of time with him.

Edited by liam
  • Like 4

Big up for Jason Edwards, done more in his debut meeting at just 15 years old, than Nick Laurence who has ten years plus experience has done all season.

• Like 1

Totally agree. One of the highlights of the season to see Jason do so well tonight. The usual decent effort from Hurry and Bowtell, solid guest in Clegg, and an imperious display from Ben Morley. A good win on the night, but I suspect it won't be enough for an aggregate win. Hope I'm wrong, but I think that might be it for speedway at Lakeside for this year at least.

I think this tie is nicely balanced. The Colts are strong at home but they've not been tested and having this deficit should give them something to think about.

Excelent meeting with young Jason Edwards having a superb debut meeting his 9+1 score include 2 wins by a mile..Ben Morley had to pass Liam Carr 3 times in tenacious stye on his way to a 15 point max ,,Solid performances from Max Clegg 11 points guesting,,,Hurry 7+1 unlucky with a bike problem when on a max with Edwards in heat 12 ...Alfie Bowtell 8 +1.points.inc 2 wins.....Laurence and Couzins 1 and 2 points respectively were their usuall slow selves, and i do not know why we did not include Locke who at least has a bit of dash about him ..Carr rode well for 12 from 6 rides guesting for the visitors ....Lakeside,s decent win score 53_ 37 may not however be enough to see them through to the final,,, with Belle Vue being superb at home .....Good Ref a decent crowd who witnessed the blooding of a15yr old Jason Edwards who hopefully will go on to be a great rider in years to come ......

Edited by waco
  • Like 2

All the years I have been coming speedway seeing Edwards winning his first heat was one of my favourite moments. A local boy who I have seen improve over the years before meetings making his debut and winning is what the National League should be about. After one last place he was superb all meeting. Well done Jason and I hope to see you for the hammers in the future. From what I saw in the pits Kelvin was spending a lot of time with him.

Paid 10 on your debut at age 15 is a dream start , but quite apart from that he looked incredibly stylish on the bike, an dozing talent. All points genuinely earned, none gifted. Very good.

Well done Max Clegg with some of the best passes we have seen this season, and well done to the whole Belle Vue team who at e a very well managed professional looking outfit.

But the night belonged to Ben Morley. Probably the best I have seen him ride, though he always looks very good but these days is looking very confident in himself and his machinery, coming from third to first twice was outstanding.

• Like 2

Well done Jason Edwards on an outstanding debut performance. Hope us Colts fans get to watch him in Manchester next Friday night. Has experience of NSS track & looks very comfortable on it.

Edited by mikec

Dream debut for Jason Edwards. He is what we have been missing all season...No doubt had we had him in the side earlier in

the season, the attendance figures would have been vastly improved. Fans like to follow a new and exciting local youngster no

matter what league...far more chance of that in the National League which is why I like it so much. Don't know what Kelvin will

do with him if we are in the Premier League, but for sure we won't be seeing him.

Dream debut for Jason Edwards. He is what we have been missing all season...No doubt had we had him in the side earlier in

the season, the attendance figures would have been vastly improved. Fans like to follow a new and exciting local youngster no

matter what league...far more chance of that in the National League which is why I like it so much. Don't know what Kelvin will

do with him if we are in the Premier League, but for sure we won't be seeing him.

Is he Kelvin's 'asset' then?

A talent like Jason will find an opportunity to develop further but it will depend on the structure of speedway in UK next year.

Back to last night's meeting - it was a pleasure to watch him achieve in such style and with confidence for one so young. A complete contrast to Laurence and Couzins who generally give the impression that they are 'uncomfortable' in the saddle.

I expect a " deal " will be done with someone like Eastbourne for him to ride in the nl,and perhaps Brennen riding for both Lakeside and Eastie.Would help bring on both riders and Lakeside still get to see a youngster on the up. Edited by gazzac

It's a shame Lakeside wouldn't do both the national and premiership leagues I have enjoyed this season and would like to have seen Jason for a full season to see how he progresses.

• Like 1

Is he Kelvin's 'asset' then?

A talent like Jason will find an opportunity to develop further but it will depend on the structure of speedway in UK next year.

Back to last night's meeting - it was a pleasure to watch him achieve in such style and with confidence for one so young. A complete contrast to Laurence and Couzins who generally give the impression that they are 'uncomfortable' in the saddle.

To give Cousins his due, he has improved a little. His gating is better and he is riding a fairly smooth line, but just not doing it well enough to put him in the points. At least he did look more or less on the pace last night. Laurnce on the other hand didn't seem to even be in the same race as everybody else. It's so soul destroying for the fans when your rider comes to the tapes and you know what's going to happen before the race even starts. Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

Would agree that 16 points is a handy lead. With Bewley & Smith in the Colts side for the second leg I'd expect the Belle Vue to progress. But with the possibility of both lads missing due to a cup tie for Glasgow, the choice of guests (if needed) will be key. Certainly wouldn't write off the Hammers chances of progressing to the final by any means though.