British Speedway Forum

So you have 4 bars, or chocks, placed behind each rear wheel, each on a chord that allows them to be cleared off the track quickly and simply...it's not rocket science. And there's usually enough "helpers" at the start gate that could be engaged to help the start marshal with this task. You could even get brolly dolly's to choreograph something into their routines...who knows?

...reminds me of the story that when the late Billy Sanders was lined up at the gate one of the marshalls literally grabbed the rear bar that used to go over the top of the rear mudguard thus raising Billy's rear wheel just as the tapes went up thus putting him at a disadvantage!

• Like 1

If you allow anticipating, it's still open not ideal, ref will let some go that he thought were anticipated but were actually jumped and some pull back some for a jump that were not. Transponders are the best solution in my mind. Or a different way of starting races.

The worst ones are when a rider clearly mucks his start up and only hinders himself, but the ref stops it and gives him another go, does that happen in any other motor sport?? Not that I've seen.

Anticipating and jumping are the same thing. If the tapes are not broken, it should be no offence and the race continues. Pulling back and rolling is what gives you the real advantage, but it is easy to detect. As someone said above, ask Hans Andersen.... :wink: On the other hand, I have never seen James Serjeant get a roller, yet he is persecuted by refs for being a good anticipator and/or having better reactions than others. (I have no connection with James, never met him).

So you have 4 bars, or chocks, placed behind each rear wheel, each on a chord that allows them to be cleared off the track quickly and simply...it's not rocket science. And there's usually enough "helpers" at the start gate that could be engaged to help the start marshal with this task. You could even get brolly dolly's to choreograph something into their routines...who knows?

Spot on. Simple and effective, without transponders. Don't know what those are, but I'll bet they cost as much as a speedway engine (well, an old JAP at least).

Just a thought but is it easier to anticipate off gates 1 and 4 because it's easier to see the magnets

Anticipating and jumping are the same thing. If the tapes are not broken, it should be no offence and the race continues. Pulling back and rolling is what gives you the real advantage, but it is easy to detect. As someone said above, ask Hans Andersen.... :wink: On the other hand, I have never seen James Serjeant get a roller, yet he is persecuted by refs for being a good anticipator and/or having better reactions than others. (I have no connection with James, never met him).

Spot on. Simple and effective, without transponders. Don't know what those are, but I'll bet they cost as much as a speedway engine (well, an old JAP at least).

You just proving my point why it's unfair, some get away with it and some don't. A transponder is a device the sends a signal to a box, you can get them for as little as just over 20 quid.

Just a thought but is it easier to anticipate off gates 1 and 4 because it's easier to see the magnets

If you anticipate., then it doesn't matter if you can see magnets or not.

Riders start behind tapes..run to bikes and have le mans style starts

You just proving my point why it's unfair, some get away with it and some don't. A transponder is a device the sends a signal to a box, you can get them for as little as just over 20 quid.

If you anticipate., then it doesn't matter if you can see magnets or not.

Riders start behind tapes..run to bikes and have le mans style starts

Oh dear !. I think it is time to scrap the tapes, and get a man with a flag

What about a women with a flag?? Don't want to be sexist

Most sports don't have as much problems

Edited by baldyman

And if you've got a stiff neck you'll probably be slower to turn your head that way too.

And you always have to re-focus your eyes after that head movement.

Such an antiquated method of starting a race.

Id just change the rules that if you don't touch the tapes then it's fine.

What really annoys me is a rider rolls, another rider rolls and touches the tapes. The tape toucher is excluded. Yet the race has already been stopped because of the original roller. If two riders touch the tapes its the first one excluded, so surely of one jumps and causes the other to touch the tapes the tape toucher is innocent as the race has been stopped?

Id just change the rules that if you don't touch the tapes then it's fine.

What really annoys me is a rider rolls, another rider rolls and touches the tapes. The tape toucher is excluded. Yet the race has already been stopped because of the original roller. If two riders touch the tapes its the first one excluded, so surely of one jumps and causes the other to touch the tapes the tape toucher is innocent as the race has been stopped?

Garry Middleton was a master in getting an opponent excluding by nudging the tapes and the rider next to him charging thru' the tapes and getting excluding for his trouble!

...reminds me of the story that when the late Billy Sanders was lined up at the gate one of the marshalls literally grabbed the rear bar that used to go over the top of the rear mudguard thus raising Billy's rear wheel just as the tapes went up thus putting him at a disadvantage!

Hull riders complained about the same thing happening at Sheffield once, sometime mid-1970's, was mentioned in the Hull proggie when fans decried Viking riders' gating that nite....

• Like 1