British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

Delighted to see the Comets confirming that they will race next season as it would have been very easy and understandable if the Workington promotion had decided to walk away. It is to be hoped the stay away fans of Workington speedway return in numbers to support their team.

I hope so too. I think the Comets are in last chance saloon this season.

Either the club comes close to break even (or better) in 2018 or that will be it.

looking forward (as always) to the first signing this week . lets get the name on the line up and its all aboard for the new season ...

hearing reports that changes at the rugby club could bite the speedway on its a#se

hope they get things sorted before march

Edited by scarra

hearing reports that changes at the rugby club could bite the speedway on its a#se

As in.....

lets just say all might not be in place that needs to be

the plot cant get any thicker ,CAN IT ?

In a make or break season that this is very likely to be, if we even get there that is, then it is a complete mystery to me why the likes of Ricky Wells, Richard Lawson and, for some unknown reason, Aaron Summers names are being bandied about as possible signings?? :o

The last thing we need are riders with no improvement left in them, that's been a failed policy from the last couple of years and can't possibly be revisited if survival and improved crowd levels are what you're after?

Only Proctor and Campton for me so far being as my first choice of Ben Barker looks dead in the water so, five places left and at least a trio of good scorers required to be in them? :t:

Can't think of any off the top of my head as I'm not sure what's left with us being so late to the party, going to need to be good or we're just wasting our time as "same old" "same old" just is'nt going to cut it? :cry:

Hope no potential signings read that. Edited by Argos

In a make or break season that this is very likely to be, if we even get there that is, then it is a complete mystery to me why the likes of Ricky Wells, Richard Lawson and, for some unknown reason, Aaron Summers names are being bandied about as possible signings?? :o

The last thing we need are riders with no improvement left in them, that's been a failed policy from the last couple of years and can't possibly be revisited if survival and improved crowd levels are what you're after?

Only Proctor and Campton for me so far being as my first choice of Ben Barker looks dead in the water so, five places left and at least a trio of good scorers required to be in them? :t:

Can't think of any off the top of my head as I'm not sure what's left with us being so late to the party, going to need to be good or we're just wasting our time as "same old" "same old" just is'nt going to cut it? :cry:

Proctor, Bewley, Campton, Williamson, Bickley and 2 others.

• Like 1

Very much agreed it is a "Make or break" season, not only for us, but a few others as well. Even if we overcome the rugby club's intervention, the issue of compiling a competitive team is a huge problem for Workington, and for several other clubs. Hats off to the likes of Ipswich, Scunthorpe, and Glasgow so far, but the sheer number of options at the top end of teams is limited to say the least.

The "Mystery" of the riders you mention isn't a mystery at all really, as there is no-one else! What makes the task even harder for the likes of Newcastle, Berwick, Workington, and Peterborough (Who are supposedly racing on Sundays but are looking towards more Fridays), is the none-availability of those top end riders who are contracted to Polish clubs.

The reason Workington wanted Fridays was of course down to many things including being able to track a competitive team.

Why do you think Scunthorpe and Glasgow wanted to switch race-nights?. Workington shot themselves in the foot big style by not having any representation at the AGM, but they were not the only club who were not represented. As I have stated on several occasions, there is scope for Workington to race on Fridays as we will have fortnightly official fixtures, and unless we get our wish our team will not have any top end strength I believe.

Look at the list of remaining top end riders. I cannot see any of them being options for Workington, except maybe Wells and Summers. The facts are that several teams will be made up without an out and out number one, whereas others will have two or three in their sides (And good luck to them by the way) due to their race-nights not falling on a weekend.

I am just very grateful of a team to support, and Laura and her team deserve the highest praise for wanting to run under such circumstances. The facts are that support is needed more than ever at Workington, and we are just not going to have seven riders who are all capable of improvement.

• Like 2

Whats the problem with the rugby club.

Also Thomas Jorgensen has the potential to raise his average more than any other ream member of 2017 team. I thought he just had bad luck last season but his effort you could not fault

ive heard all this crap about tourists in the lake district

but how many are going to travel from the tourist areas while on holiday on our roads to workington

also our promotion last year wouldnt speak to fans so how are they gonna get visitors to travel from a hour or so away to watch speedway

with absolutly zero promoting

You might be surprised - the roads aren't that bad and Keswick is only about 20 minutes away.

I must admit I was pretty sceptical about getting the word out but agreed to do a stand at a show for Isle of Wight last season.

I had that opinion rammed down my throat as I couldn't believe the interest, counting 10 people at the stadium on race night that I had spoken to on the preceding Saturday.

One thing is certain. Within 20 miles or so Workington have an area that attracts huge numbers of visitors. If you don't get out there and make the Comets existence known, you won't get anyone.

Has to be worth a shot, surely ?

• Like 2

workington have had stalls and promotional stuff going on at local events most of the time .

dont know if they have done one in or around keswik area tho .

not too sure about going down millom/barrow way either .

one thing for certain the management have done a good few of these stalls and it very much welcomed by all who are given free tickets while attending these shows .

its a tuff job and just because you give out , say 500 tickets , it does not mean that 500 EXTRA will turn up . the FREE tickets find their way to the fans that already go .

so some time speedway loses out in revenue .

good to hear you will be paying us a visit now and again ...

Very much agreed it is a "Make or break" season, not only for us, but a few others as well. Even if we overcome the rugby club's intervention, the issue of compiling a competitive team is a huge problem for Workington, and for several other clubs. Hats off to the likes of Ipswich, Scunthorpe, and Glasgow so far, but the sheer number of options at the top end of teams is limited to say the least.

The "Mystery" of the riders you mention isn't a mystery at all really, as there is no-one else! What makes the task even harder for the likes of Newcastle, Berwick, Workington, and Peterborough (Who are supposedly racing on Sundays but are looking towards more Fridays), is the none-availability of those top end riders who are contracted to Polish clubs.

The reason Workington wanted Fridays was of course down to many things including being able to track a competitive team.

Why do you think Scunthorpe and Glasgow wanted to switch race-nights?. Workington shot themselves in the foot big style by not having any representation at the AGM, but they were not the only club who were not represented. As I have stated on several occasions, there is scope for Workington to race on Fridays as we will have fortnightly official fixtures, and unless we get our wish our team will not have any top end strength I believe.

Look at the list of remaining top end riders. I cannot see any of them being options for Workington, except maybe Wells and Summers. The facts are that several teams will be made up without an out and out number one, whereas others will have two or three in their sides (And good luck to them by the way) due to their race-nights not falling on a weekend.

I am just very grateful of a team to support, and Laura and her team deserve the highest praise for wanting to run under such circumstances. The facts are that support is needed more than ever at Workington, and we are just not going to have seven riders who are all capable of improvement.

Reading your post, especially this last bit, is the absolute reason behind the last paragraph of my own. I quoted same old same old wont cut it yet this response of yours is what could very possibly have many people looking at whatever team we end up with and say, it's just like last year and look what happened to them? :(

Now fair enough we may not, and I'm not in possession of, any rider availability lists to give any options to you for possibles but I really do feel that we cannot afford to run as a club with an uncompetitive side if we are to attract supporters back to the fold, I'm sorry but I completely disagree with anyone who just wants "a team to watch" irrespective of anything else, we're in dire straits now exacerbating that situation, in my mind, just isn't an option, we've got to be able to do something with it not just watch? :t:

One thing that is starting to bug me on here is this "innuendo" about possible trouble caused by Workington RL, exactly what are they planning to do that is causing issues, surely it is in both sports interests to get along in the best possible fashion to maximise profitability?

If anyone knows what is going on then lets read it, what are we up against and how is this going to affect the Comets, surely if activities pending are going to be detrimental to the operation of speedway then we need to know now before we even bother picking anything? :angry: