British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

White City

Why did we have a number of clubs/stadiums called White City ? Was it just the fact that White City(London) was such a good stadium that others around the country and of course Glasgow named their new stadiums after it.Anyone out there know :unsure:

Good question, I seem to recall that there were white City stadiums in Nottingham, Cardiff, and Manchester as well.

Were this stadiums not built by a company called White City developments?

White City Stadium London was built in 1908 for the Olympic Games and as part of the Franco-British Exhibition. It was called White City because the stadium and other main exhibition buildings were painted white.

I suspect the other stadia were named after it.

White City Stadium London was built in 1908 for the Olympic Games and as part of the Franco-British Exhibition. It was called White City because the stadium and other main exhibition buildings were painted white.

I suspect the other stadia were named after it.

Suspected so as well,but didn`t know Generalisimo Franco had anything to do with it :blink:

Edited by iris123

The White City stadiums were all funfairs.

There was one in Hull in the thirties where we had an open licence track.

So its a case of Brazil being named after the nut rather than the nut being named after the country so to speak :unsure: The area getting the name from the stadium :blink: Seems like a strange name to copy though especially so many time

An interesting question & one I've often thought about myself, especially when recently doing some work for the new White City shopping mall in London.

So its a case of Brazil being named after the nut rather than the nut being named after the country so to speak :unsure: The area getting the name from the stadium :blink: Seems like a strange name to copy though especially so many time

Yes, that is the case. The district was named after the Stadium and Exhibition area.

As far as other stadia being named after it, you have to remember that White City was Britain's prestigious stadium before Wembley, so I suppose that's why other cities named their stadium after it.....though having said that, you don't get Manchester Wembley or Glasgow Wembley do you?

Edited by norbold

There is/was Wembley Stadium in Johannesburg, with 'Lions' teams in Speedway and Ice Hockey, home of the Transvaal Speedway league in 1947 which was the origin of the four team format.

As far as other stadia being named after it, you have to remember that White City was Britain's prestigious stadium before Wembley, so I suppose that's why other cities named their stadium after it.....though having said that, you don't get Manchester Wembley or Glasgow Wembley do you?

Its a good point.Seeing as Glasgow`s stadium was built in 1928 ,some 20 years after London.I don`t know when the others were built but i would have thought that White City was a bit "old hat" by then even allowing for the fact the world moved at a different pace back then as you know. ;)

regarding the Manchester venue found this

http://manchesterhistory.net/whitecity/home.html:

'The prospectus of the White City Company indicates that it was formed in February of 1907 for, "the purpose of establishing and carrying on a pleasure garden of the highest class to be called the "White City".'

One year before London then or the same company planning both at the same time?

There was another White City in Onchan IoM, I bet there were lots... maybe two words that became associated with a bit of quality fun in those days ?

noticed last month they've started to demolish the last trace of the London White City site - the covered walkways that went alongside the railway track.

pity stadiums and such places arent counted as heritage...

I find it interesting that White City (London) were called the Rebels and used the confederate flag as their emblem. The flag is seen as racist in many parts of the USA.

Didn't the film "Absolute Beginners" make referals to White City developments.

Think the only reason that White City were called the Rebels in the late 70's was because that was the nickname of the Oxford team who moved there. Having said that using the Confederate flag wouldn't probably have been the smartest move given the rich mix of cultures resident in that part of West London.