British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Belle Vue SGB Premiership A. 11th April 2018

Not a bad meeting,but also not a good one either.

Track clearly very patchy which caught all riders out. No ones fault, just awful weather leading up to Wednesday.

Bewley poor in Ht2, otherwise always in the mix.Looks so good on a bike.Starke good value too. Best Ive seen Fricke for a while.

Of course, If BV had either Worrall or Cook, they could easily taken something from this meeting.Then again, if Tungate had bothered to turn up, who knows?

Just pleased to get the win, if a touch fortunate.

Good to meet up with Phil the Ace and Claire. Hope you had a safe journey home.

Edited by BobC

Well just got back after going to the after meeting press conference. A new innovation for Poole this year and very good even with the teething issues of a mic cutting in and out. Perhaps next week then can set up so the radio mic the riders are using has a clear line of sight to the receiver?

Anyway onto the meeting. A very good first night crowd turned up on a mild night. A chat to a couple of riders before hand brought up the issue of a spongy track. On viewing it, it looked ok but I wasn’t walking on it. 

Not the greatest of meetings. Other than Brady and James, the team were like an away team, with us having no home advantage. Both Kacsper and Linus said after the meeting they didn’t know the racing lines and it showed. Well until they had taken a couple of rides. After heat 6 Poole became dominant and any hope Belle Vue had of taking anything out of the meeting vanished faster than Bachelors van out of the stadium after heat 13.

The track was smooth but spongy and heavy. It will certainly improve and with a dry week ahead should be much better next week for the visit of Swindon. Oh, and the return of Batchelor.:lol:

On to the riders.

For Poole.

Brady. Worst number one in the league? Blitzed everyone. A class above and not troubled. Said after the meeting this year he is concentrating on his away form and as a number one, avoiding any really bad meetings on his travels. 10/10

Kacsper. Was second in his first ride when Starked locked up in front of him. Took avoiding action to end up at the back. In his next he rode all the wrong lines, but then got it right with two superb rides. Said in the conference it will take him a little time to find the best way around but was disappointed in his performance. 7/10

Josh. Battled in every heat without looking like he would win one. His gating let him down. Was disappointed in the conference. 6/10

Linus. Solid throught and improved as the meeting went on. Got his first win in Pirates colours. 7/10

PK. Woeful in his first with Shanes coming through on him into the last lap. Then had a couple of aggressive wins. 6/10

Mateusz. Led heat 2 by a straight before having an ef on the back straight of lap 4. Battled all night and rode defensively when he neeed to. Would have scored paid 9 on his debut but for the ef. 6/10

James. Not his best night, but he tried in his three rides and saw off Bewley in heat 2. Will have better meetings. 4/10

For Belle Vue.

Batchelor. Taxi for Troy. Rubbish and I didn’t type rubbish. Didn’t fancy it one bit. More of the same next week please!

Starke. Rode well all night. Fast trapping in the early heats and then rode sensibly. Deserved heat 15. 7/10

Lawson. Rode well for a win in his first but then went awol. 3/10

Tungate. Very poor. Gated in heat 7 but Kildemand got by after a lap. Other than that, like Lawson, went awol. 2/10

Fricke. Battled all night. Had the fastest time of the night. Beaten by Brady twice and Linus, but always in the mix. 8/10

Etheridge. Gifted a win in heat 2 when Mateusz’ bike packed up, then not close to a point. 3/10

Bewley. Nowhere in his first but then rode very well in his other heats. Made a good pass of Kildemand up in the inside off bend two in heat 4. 7/10

A reasonable opener. Not the greatest in the way of racing but the tension was there as Belle Vue took a decent lead, only for Poole to come on strong from heat 6. Unfortunately for Belle Vue, the chance was there tonight to get something out of the meeting. With 5 of the Pirates not knowing the fastest way around and not yet dialled in, plus a spongy track not conducive of much passing, we could have come a cropper. But a poor guest for Cook in Batchelor took away any possibility of a shock result. As the weeks go by Wimborne Road could well turn into a fortress.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

And that match report never fails to make you laugh!

Poole would have lost if Cook and Worrall had of rode simple as that. 

Yes not much overtaking  but we should be grateful we had a meeting on despite all the rain .  All Poole’s new riders improved as the meeting went on and they got dialled in . 

Batchelor and Lawson were not good guests  but is  pure speculation whether Cook and Worrall could’ve done a lot better. Probably I agree they would have done, but it was early season and the track was not easy. Let’s see what happens in the B fixture if both sides are similar as starting lineups

In summary It was not a great meeting but after all the rain we have had it was just good to see some racing and the result in the end what’s the right one for the performances on the night

• Like 2

:lol:

Belle Vue wouldn’t have had a better chance. Makes the win even more enjoyable. They won’t get another chance this year. Pirates will be dialled in by the next few meetings.

Pirates top of the league. Happy days!B)

1 hour ago, Crazy robin said:

First meeting & Shanes is taken out of a ride. Such a shame that the dum authorities didn’t agree that reserves could only replace riders in the top 5. 

Oh & yes I’ll be saying the same thing if Swindon do it before I get accused of Poole bashing.

Who would ever accuse you of that?! ;) Apart from maybe Starman..

You make a valid point though, they shouldn't be taken out.

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Love on updates that Kurtz looks class hasn’t exactly got much to beat! As expected Belle Vue finding it to tough without there best 2 riders but Poole struggling to see them off. Apparently the track is awful but benefit of the doubt with the weather

bring on your mate Morris Gavan

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

:lol:

Belle Vue wouldn’t have had a better chance. Makes the win even more enjoyable. They won’t get another chance this year. Pirates will be dialled in by the next few meetings.

Pirates top of the league. Happy days!B)

That's why supporters hate Poole.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Not really, the most important thing is you got value for money, did you?

Getting a meeting on and winning doesn't justify paying for a poor product which by all accounts, tonight was far from worth paying for if you were to be brutally honest wasn't it?

I guess you can only have that opinion if you were there!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

That's why supporters hate Poole.

Just proves how stupid some people are then! Hating a club cos of one supporter is pretty pathetic tbh.

12 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Of course the move needed to be made. If Shanes had been left in and run a last, then Fricke had won heat 15, Belle Vue would have got a point. The move took away the threat.

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Of course the move needed to be made. If Shanes had been left in and run a last, then Fricke had won heat 15, Belle Vue would have got a point. The move took away the threat.

Just a shame they can't have the four rides.

Oh and Batch will be happy to know to is supposed to 23 degrees and sunny next Weds! :D

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Just a shame they can't have the four rides.

Oh and Batch will be happy to know to is supposed to 23 degrees and sunny next Weds! :D

It’s Middlos job to make those decisions and I had called it before it was announced. A no brainer. It could happen a lot to James this season if the other reserve is doing better. Part and parcel of the sport.

32 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Why should i say that ? Im very happy with the result, and very happy that the meeting went ahead, and im very happy that we have a promoter like Matt ford, who, along with track curators Glyn and Neil, personally busted a gut to make sure this meeting went ahead. And believe me, from what Glyn told me it wasnt a foregone conclusion. I thought the win was very satifactory under the circumtances, and we will only get bettier and so will the track when, we get some consistant dry weather.. James had a bad night and it was right of Neil to replace him.
Now after seeing my Neuro surgeon today being driven in a  Square wheel hospital trransport  Ambulance  then going down the stadium i am completely shattered, so i wont be long out of bed. I  may have to get up during the night for a toilet break, but im very happy with tonights result, i wont be losing any sleep that i do get..  as the song goes, things can only get better..  Piratepride.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Fairly happy with that with 2 poor guests and Tungate not yet up to speed(seems to start slow every year) we gave the odds on favourites on their home track a decent meeting.

All we need to do now is keep in or close to the top 4 till Worrall returns (and in my opinion we would be a better team if we keep Starke),then we will stand a good chance of reaching the play offs again.I think Bewley will get better as the season goes on and Tungate should soon be back up to the form where he left off last season.So to me its looking good.

Time will tell.

Edited by B.V 72