British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Kings Lynn. Prem B. 1st August 2018

13 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I think you have misread my post. I was praising the Poole track! Steve Shovlar  said the same as me but got his post in first but you didn't respond to his post.

Ok miss read it, it looked liked you was running along the same lines as Orlov. Many wright in riddles on here and you lose track and the will to live sometimes..

8 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Lets not also forget that Mr Ford has also said this could be his last year. A stadium with improved facilities, better racing and increased attendances equates to a higher selling price. So reading all the messages of how wonderful it is now to attend a meeting and watch this fantastic team is music to Mr Ford's ears. "And the money keeps rolling in"

But he lost a fortune  in the first 2 months of the season..

Just a small point Starman, I am not sure, and stand to be corrected, but I believe BV have a license to race on only certain days.

1 minute ago, Starman2006 said:

Is that because attendances were so poor?  Or other issues.

4 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Lets not also forget that Mr Ford has also said this could be his last year. A stadium with improved facilities, better racing and increased attendances equates to a higher selling price. So reading all the messages of how wonderful it is now to attend a meeting and watch this fantastic team is music to Mr Ford's ears. "And the money keeps rolling in"

I’ve looked at it and when you analyse the tangible assets, it could be “good fun” to own a speedway club but, it doesn’t make good business sense. Particularly when you build in the risk factors i.e. unpredictable weather, rider issues (work permits etc), failures of other clubs, the BSPA and of course tv rights etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I know you purport to be many things but I hadn’t realised you were the Financial Director of Poole Speedway Ltd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aviator said:

I know you purport to be many things but I hadn’t realised you were the Financial Director of Poole Speedway Ltd.

Not at all, its common knowledge it was in the  Echo, how many meetings did we lose to rain off's, and the 70th aniversary meeting,?, all that would added to a pretty penny..

12 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Is that because attendances were so poor?  Or other issues.

Both rain off's as ive put above and early season attendances.

16 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

No i agree with you.  But Matt hasnt m,ade a whole lot this year, and he can only bring in who's avaliable. On paper the side assembled looked very good in the winter, but it just didnt work out. Sofar as the track is concerned  yesit could be better, but Neil works on his own, its an all day thing  just to get it ready he trys his best. you have the boys come in in the evening, but they've been at work all day. The sound system is better, but i still think its a bit loud, everything cost money, and as im sure you will know. You can only spend what comes in
Facilities, im sure that Matt would like to spend more, but nobody knows how the league will be set up next season.
Sorry to hear you took your sponsorship away, but Matt does know sponsorship is important, just as those who come through the gate. Matt wouldnt care if we won the league every year, thats his job, and poole is his club, but you can only sign who's avaliable and how much money comes in and with the top boys pretty much pulling Britain its getting harder.  And i would gurantteee, 99% of clubs are in the same boat..
Thats why as i keep screaming, changes must be had at the top, bring in a top retired rider who has no vested interest in a club.
And i stand by what i said, BV have access 24/7 we have dogs and we are hard pressed to get down there to do things off a speedway day, one people have to work and two they have dogs.

On the subject of this “24/7 BV” access that you talk of, I don’t believe this to be true. I personally know and have worked with one of the “new owners” and, I can tell you the contract he has in place will be as tight as a drum and he will only pay for what he needs in terms of access etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Not at all, its common knowledge it was in the  Echo, how many meetings did we lose to rain off's, and the 70th aniversary meeting,?, all that would added to a pretty penny..

That is all inuendo, please convert to ??? Pounds Sterling!!

58 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Jeez, your day must be full of fun going on that post.. You've suddenly forgot the crap start we had..

The last two Wednesday have been the start of school holidays so I'm sure attendance have been the biggest this seasons be

Edited by ray c

correct ray packed out the last 2 meetings,really poor poor crowds up to then and of course we are in an area which is one of the main holiday destinations in uk

3 minutes ago, poole keith said:

correct ray packed out the last 2 meetings,really poor poor crowds up to then and of course we are in an area which is one of the main holiday destinations in uk

Still well below what we have had in the past though 1600\1700 both meetings

4 minutes ago, poole keith said:

I understand it was 1664 last week and bordering 1800 this week. Guessing that’s going to be combined revenues of circa £45-48k, depending on the adult/child ratios.

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Take your blinkers off. You were not there. 

The track was in excellent shape. Highly praised by the Poole riders during and after the meeting at the press conference. Having seen the Poole track at the start of the season before it was relaid, there’s no comparison. It’s been getting better every week. Was very good last week and even better on Wednesday. Fast, smooth, lots of passing, no dust at all. Great track prep. Big well done to the track staff for giving us a proper racing strip that allows plenty of passing. 

The Poole track has always been a great race strip. Wasn’t so great last season and at the start of this but with the relay and new shale has come together to give us fans a treat.

No blinkers here, you are the one disrespectfully brushing off an experienced international rider's opinion as sour grapes when most would say he is not that kind of character. And I'm sure Poole's riders will say exactly what they are told to in a press conference :D

You are right, I wasn't there, I wouldn't put money into your promoter's pocket if his track was the last one on earth.