British Speedway Forum
iainb

Best Race Suit Ever?

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

IMO modern bikes look horrible without the covers but  the upright were  a sight to behold when presented in tip top condition ,Ivan's ,Ole's for example then you had Briggo's who's  needed covering up even when clean .

...all that gleaming chrome although Joe Gooddy's didn't require close attention!

2 hours ago, HGould said:

The Carr Brothers - Peter and Louis always looked the part , anodised frames and wheels and engine plates and matching leathers, in the upright era well ahead of their time before those stupid engine covers covered all the interesting parts of the bike. 

In fact, the only things the covers hide are the fuel tank and the carburettor.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, *JJ said:

In fact, the only things the covers hide are the fuel tank and the carburettor.

Stops them looking like the old "Honda Plastics " ( Honda 50,70,and 90) which looked awful without the leg shields on even so  they didn't look that good anyway  !

6 minutes ago, dukes said:

Must be the best Race Suits ever in 2016 or possibly all time.

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00150.JPG

Nice to see the Halifax "Dukes" remembered.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:08 PM, iris123 said:

Is this down t American intelligence I wonder?After all in the UK speedway thrived for about 40 years when most had black leathers.Did the introduction of personal leathers mark the start of the downfall of the sport?We ended up having a group of individual riders,rather than a team.........

didn't think you were into conspiracy theories:shock:

• Haha 1

Gustafsson's at Kings Lynn when he had the team logo on them so didnt have to wear a body colour. Well ahead of this time.

Sorry its a dreadful image of the suit.

Untitled.jpg

3 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

Gustafsson's at Kings Lynn when he had the team logo on them so didnt have to wear a body colour. Well ahead of this time.

Untitled.jpg

No need to apologise  - Any image of anything related to Kings Lynn is dreadful :D

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

Untitled.jpg

Ole Olsen incorporated the "'Wolves" jacket on to his leathers in 1972. I recall that Sam Ermolenko adopted a similar approach?

53 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Ole Olsen incorporated the "'Wolves" jacket on to his leathers in 1972. I recall that Sam Ermolenko adopted a similar approach?

Taffy owen done the same at workington in 73 

• Like 1

I quite liked the idea of Swindon a few years ago when they had home and away kevlars quite unique for speedway.

Can anyone remember what year the old EL had the team suits but they were skin tight like Lycra they were awful!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bloom89 said:

I quite liked the idea of Swindon a few years ago when they had home and away kevlars quite unique for speedway.

Can anyone remember what year the old EL had the team suits but they were skin tight like Lycra they were awful!

Leicester had the first team suits and they were sponsored by TSB. One member of the team would not ware the - was it Malc Brown?

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

Leicester had the first team suits and they were sponsored by TSB. One member of the team would not ware the - was it Malc Brown?

Don’t know who he is that’s before my time lol. 

29 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Don’t know who he is that’s before my time lol. 

He was an out and out character...something that is missing in the sport nowadays.

7 hours ago, Skodaman said:

What year was that ?