British Speedway Forum

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Much, I mean really MUCH, has been made of the new Great Britain Team management and structure.

Being facetious I would say that they have improved the lads skipping technique no end. Though I am sure it goes much further than that. Behind the scenes.

But up front, on show, with what matters on the Speedway side. Very little is different.

Both last year's SON with nativity on tactics and this year's uninspiring team selection shows  that they haven't advanced the actual speedway thinking one iota.

Alun's personal stylist does get a ten out of ten for effort though. Must be the hardest job of the lot.

This is spot on. Up to now my belief is that the Team GB setup is far more about style than substance. I would be very happy to admit if I am wrong about that.

I can't even think of any way that things can realistically be altered. Either the riders are up to the job or they are not, and things like fitness, nutrition and team bonding sessions make only a marginal difference. The re-definition of 'team' to mean two riders plus an U21 has helped but realistically GB should not need this, there should be more riders at a good level. 

The aim should be to race Test series against Poland, Australia, Denmark etc with 7 or 8 man teams - proper Tests. This might happen in the future but the selection of Chris Harris (much as I admire what he has done over the years) doesn't suggest that we are aiming in this direction. Even Woffinden said we should be going with youth - surely he has a strong voice within Team GB?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Panthers89 said:

Do we have another rider out there? Like Poland having Dudek there? 

Nah it's GB we'd rather send nutrition personal instead of an extra rider plus Rosco's personal crimper to make sure that he uses the right hair gel for his Tin Tin look or Woody Woodpecker look whichever way you look at it

Edited by zlata prilba
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Panthers89 said:

I really hope they (Tai and Scotty) comment on that fact. Yes Polish riders can hop over the boarder etc. But we could have had another rider head out there.

BIT more than a hop and not sure how easy it is for Polish riders to acquire a Russian visa. Does anyone know what everyone in the GP party actually does?

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BIT more than a hop and not sure how easy it is for Polish riders to acquire a Russian visa. Does anyone know what everyone in the GP party actually does?

I'm sure Rossiter said he had someone keeping an eye on the programme (probably watch with mother)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Oh come on Philip, there have been seemingly endless pages devoted to the Team GB fitness regime in the Star over the past few months. :wink:

33 minutes ago, Panthers89 said:

I really hope they (Tai and Scotty) comment on that fact. Yes Polish riders can hop over the boarder etc. But we could have had another rider head out there.

A hop? Have you seen where it is!

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

A hop? Have you seen where it is!

and if they keep banging on about how they want to make the brand better and succeed at the top, you need to take a rider getting injured into consideration. 

Also I'm hoping its a hop, as Bomber is guesting for us tomorrow night at Wolves.....