British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Serious question - in what way was it flawed?

It suited those with a bigger home track advantage.

I never really had a problem with it, but if you ask most what it's purpose was the answer will be to keep interest in a meeting alive (score wise) for longer..  Well the current system does that far better.

Where they shot themselves in the foot is scrapping the extra pt a home team got for winning by more than 6.. now 46-44 is as good as 49-41. The reasoning being home fans supposedly went home unhappy if they missed out on the extra pt after winning a meeting....

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't know, that's not my point. My point is a draw is a draw... Except in Speedway

No.

In rugby, if one team gets four tries and the other team does not, but the match is drawn, the first team gets 3 points and the other 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No.

In rugby, if one team gets four tries and the other team does not, but the match is drawn, the first team gets 3 points and the other 2.

It's already been explained to him, but it's to no avail.

He's already admitted he gets confused between the numbers 6 and 7 so there isn't much hope getting any reasoning from him other than.. "It's ridiculous".

He might spin you a yarn about a full pub rolling around the floor in laughter when he mentioned the speedway scoring system one night to back up his "Ridiculous" and "In what other sport" claim...

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Regarding the topic of the thread... when has there ever been an AGM where 'Big Decisions' weren't needed and it wasn't 'one of the most important ever'..

It's been nigh on every season for decades.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No.

They're bonus points... As already discussed

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

They're bonus points... As already discussed

Well, a speedway draw gives 1 point to each team, plus a bonus point for the away team. Does that help?

20 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

It's already been explained to him, but it's to no avail.

He's already admitted he gets confused between the numbers 6 and 7 so there isn't much hope getting any reasoning from him other than.. "It's ridiculous".

He might spin you a yarn about a full pub rolling around the floor in laughter when he mentioned the speedway scoring system one night to back up his "Ridiculous" and "In what other sport" claim...

Again, if you'd read it properly you'd see that I'm not confused by it... I just can't remember it.

What does confuse me is whether you can't read properly or can't think properly... I'm beginning to think it's probably both.

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Well, a speedway draw gives 1 point to each team, plus a bonus point for the away team. Does that help?

It maybe semantics but it is fact. In Speedway it's league points in the other sports mentioned they're bonus points, for reaching set goals during a match

41 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Interesting list - well done

How many of those couldn’t race in the UK on a Friday and Saturday night?

I would imagine quite a few couldn't race on a Friday or Saturday night

If this is the way British speedway wants to go then there will be about 6 clubs left battling it out 

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

It maybe semantics but it is fact. In Speedway it's league points in the other sports mentioned they're bonus points, for reaching set goals during a match

Hey, don’t let the little things in life worry you.

Just now, DC2 said:

Hey, don’t let the little things in life worry you.

I'm not worried about it in the slightest. I just think it's wrong that when a team draws 1 team gets more league points than the other... As I've already said you wouldn't get it in any other sport

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I'm not worried about it in the slightest. I just think it's wrong that when a team draws 1 team gets more league points than the other... As I've already said you wouldn't get it in any other sport

You've said it.. and you've been proven wrong. Multiple times.

Can you imagine a sport where 1pt = 15, 2pts = 30... you wouldn't get that in any other sport. It would just be 'ridiculous'. Such a sport would be a laughing stock!

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

OK, fair enough.

I like rugby’s ten minute sin bin for a yellow card. Do you think football should do the same?

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

Again, if you'd read it properly you'd see that I'm not confused by it... I just can't remember it.

What does confuse me is whether you can't read properly or can't think properly... I'm beginning to think it's probably both.

I was just playing along with you.

The reality is, of course you can remember it. It's clearly something that's an issue with you hence you harping on so much on this thread.

As many do when they have no argument, they make something up to back it up.. with some its the laughter in the pub, you've invented that you can't remember it as your reasoning behind not liking it.. when that's all you can come up with, it speaks volumes.

Can you imagine a sport where the player who scores the most pts doesn't win... Ridiculous! Never be taken seriously by the media or the public in general. Oh wait...

I think that is far more of a vagary than an extra pt for the away team in speedway.