British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

22 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Like everyone on here, I’m saddened to hear the news about Swindon Speedway. Personally I have been going since around 1971, with the odd break for a few years, and then returning like so many others. 

I caught the final season of Barry Briggs. I was totally hooked. The smell, the shale that in those days peppered you if you stood anywhere near the corners, and the noise! No silencers, or deflectors! In those days it was every Saturday night too  

The crowds were huge. I remember at least 4 double decker buses arriving to ferry people back to Swindon after the meeting.  The car park was always packed. The atmosphere terrific. I’m told in those days the crowd was consistently over 3k and on occasions rivalled Swindon Town for the biggest crowds. 

The seventies, despite the crowds, were a difficult time for the Robins. The trophy cupboard was bare. But the racing was excellent. Martin Ashby was the master at Blunsdon. His last bend passes were exhilarating. His gating exasperating! Bob Kilby was the complete opposite at the gate. Reflexes and anticipation like lightening. Sadly, this skill is rarely seen, or allowed by referees these days. Geoff Bouchard proved one the best signings of the 70’s...a real trier and a thrilling rider to watch. 

I missed most of the 80’s and 90’s, but the desire to see Leigh Adams every Thursday did the trick. Adams was absolute mustard to watch. His team riding was second to none. I saw him nurse the likes of David Rudd, Travis McGowan, James Wright around Blunsdon in majestic style. His heat 15 riding with Zagar was up there with the best. 

Then came the title winning seasons. The crowds remained very decent, the racing, in my opinion started to decline on a somewhat tired track. The reshape certainly helped, and in the final season, once the track bedded in, there were some superb meetings. 

Speedway at Swindon was my life as a teenager. Every Saturday night, regular away trips on the coach. Often there were 2 or 3 coaches at an away match. 

When I left the stadium after that last meeting, having won the title, I drove home to my home ( now in Cornwall) and didn’t dream for one minute, it would be the last time I watched Speedway at Blunsdon. 

Most people on here have said what I think about the management and it’s treatment of the supporters and indeed many predicted the stadium would never be built  I perhaps naively, thought it would be  

I had some great times at Blunsdon, met some great people and even introduced “Everyone’s friend” Steve Shovlar to the sport! A sort of claim to fame! 

RIP Swindon Speedway. 

EnglishRoundabout. 

Fantastic memories. First meeting for me 1968...Swindon 56 Belle Vue 22, Briggs and Kilby max. Other highlights, last heat wins at Coventry 2007, and Somerset a few years ago, beating Poole 2012 Grand Final, first league title since 1967, winning 2017 title at Wolves, after winning 17 matches in a row, and clinching the league/cup double in 2019, thrashing Ipswich in front of singing, chanting Robins fans, the last match at the Abbey.

Unfortunately sometimes not much more than 1000 at the Abbey in recent times, compared to the thousands that were there in 60s, 70s, 80s.

Just the occasional trip up to Oxford now, impressive stadium and crowds, better than no speedway at all. We need to support these tracks or the sport will die.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

To be fair,  he does make me laugh. Dip in and out of things these days and whenever I look at a Poole thread he's winding up a new set of fans!! They bite every time. Hope you are doing well mate.

Some things never change! I’m good thanks mate, loving life on the Cornish coast these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Fantastic memories. First meeting for me 1968...Swindon 56 Belle Vue 22, Briggs and Kilby max. Other highlights, last heat wins at Coventry 2007, and Somerset a few years ago, beating Poole 2012 Grand Final, first league title since 1967, winning 2017 title at Wolves, after winning 17 matches in a row, and clinching the league/cup double in 2019, thrashing Ipswich in front of singing, chanting Robins fans, the last match at the Abbey.

Unfortunately sometimes not much more than 1000 at the Abbey in recent times, compared to the thousands that were there in 60s, 70s, 80s.

Just the occasional trip up to Oxford now, impressive stadium and crowds, better than no speedway at all. We need to support these tracks or the sport will die.

Doris, your post has given me the idea of a  posting a “ Swindon memories” section on speedway news and discussions. It would be really good to read posters favourite memories. 

• Like 1

Just drove past the stadium and loads of work going on on the old main car park side. Haven't seen that many people working up there since they demolished anything that could ensure speedway could ever run again with the old layout.

I see SBC are allowing Twigmarket to build footbalL pitches  on the nine hole golf course  at Broome Manor .. Be nothing left in Swindon soon . Twigmarket and like Gaming int when it comes to golf 

Not impressed by the Speedway Star article this week about this.

Barely scratched the surface, with little or no insight or investigative challenge to what has been going on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frigbo said:

Not impressed by the Speedway Star article this week about this.

Barely scratched the surface, with little or no insight or investigative challenge to what has been going on.

Pretty naive wasn't it?

Tomlinson was on Points West tonight, spoke but said nothing of consequence.

3 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

Pretty naive wasn't it?

Terry Russell is getting such an easy ride..

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, frigbo said:

Definitely. I think there are questions to be asked about his part in this - such as why he tried to sneak the closure through without anyone actually knowing about it and it only became public after it was leaked on here.

Like others, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of him getting paid off.

• Like 1

Yet again no one asking any of the questions that needed to be asked .I've been told that Rosco told points west that it's because the dogs are closing .OK so if  that's the case how does Rosco know that ( remember he told everyone he gets told nothing ) As if it's true is he saying Gaming are telling fibs as they say the dogs are not shuting.

13 hours ago, noggin said:

Tomlinson was on Points West tonight, spoke but said nothing of consequence.

Hope you're well mate...not much from Tommo, apart from saying Swindon were the Liverpool, Man City of speedway.

12 hours ago, frigbo said:

Yep. The minutes from the meeting contained that letter from him saying the dogs were closing. GI saying they aren't. So someone is lying. If Gaming are blagging and making TR look a liar then why doesn't he come out and call them out. The only person who has shown any sort of aggression towards the GI  BS is Tomlinson in that statement he released after the news broke but time will tell if SBC stick to their guns so I won't get too hung up on that. 

The whole thing stinks and no one has done any sort of proper investigation into it. Its just accepted that we have folded and they will expect it to go away. This is where the adver or the local news need to step up and ask some proper questions to the club, Gaming and Tommo and get to the bottom of what exactly has gone on. It's very clear the only people suffering are the fans. It all seems to have worked out perfectly for everyone else involved.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Yep. The minutes from the meeting contained that letter from him saying the dogs were closing. GI saying they aren't. So someone is lying. If Gaming are blagging and making TR look a liar then why doesn't he come out and call them out. The only person who has shown any sort of aggression towards the GI  BS is Tomlinson in that statement he released after the news broke but time will tell if SBC stick to their guns so I won't get too hung up on that. 

The whole thing stinks and no one has done any sort of proper investigation into it. Its just accepted that we have folded and they will expect it to go away. This is where the adver or the local news need to step up and ask some proper questions to the club, Gaming and Tommo and get to the bottom of what exactly has gone on. It's very clear the only people suffering are the fans. It all seems to have worked out perfectly for everyone else involved.

Very well put