British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Speedway Fatalities "In Memoriam"

One name I can't find on the list is that of Deon Prinsloo, who was killed in a road accident driving in his transporter car on the way to compete in a speedway meeting at the Walkerville track near Joahnnesburg on Saturday, Febnruary 26, 2011.

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

One name I can't find on the list is that of Deon Prinsloo, who was killed in a road accident driving in his transporter car on the way to compete in a speedway meeting at the Walkerville track near Joahnnesburg on Saturday, Febnruary 26, 2011.

So Deon was still racing speedway at the time? I thought he was retired - which is why he is not listed.

Just now, chunky said:

So Deon was still racing speedway at the time? I thought he was retired - which is why he is not listed.

Yes, and at the age of 39 he was still one of the best riders in South Africa when he lost his life in that fateful car crash. In fact he was due to ride in a speedway meeting at Walkerville on that day, Saturday, February 26, 2011. Deon was on his way to the speedway meeting (Rd.1 of the Northern Regional Championships, won by Byron Bekker) when the accident happened.

German rider Gerhard Kamm, who was killed in a long-track race at Pfarrkirchen on Sept. 29, 1974, is listed TWICE on this website. Firstly under his correct name of "Kamm", but also under the name of "Comb" which in fact is simply the English translation of his name ("Kamm" in German means "comb" in English)!

3 hours ago, Bavarian said:

German rider Gerhard Kamm, who was killed in a long-track race at Pfarrkirchen on Sept. 29, 1974, is listed TWICE on this website. Firstly under his correct name of "Kamm", but also under the name of "Comb" which in fact is simply the English translation of his name ("Kamm" in German means "comb" in English)!

Ah, makes sense!  Sorry,, my German is not so good, although I should have noticed the date and venue.  I have removed the duplicate entry, and I have also listed Deon Prinsloo.  Thanks for your help!

Steve

• Like 1

Hard to believe that it has been 55 years since the amazing Peter Craven died. I saw him race several times at Wimbledon and went up to Manchester to watch him race for Belle Vue against our Wimbledon Dons. He was a tiny man who had a unique style and rode with fire in his heart. RIP. He was a great challenge for the Dons top riders at the time, Ronnie Moore, Peter Moore and Ron How. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, Bavarian said:

Just discovered the same with another German rider Herbert Bauer, who lost his life at Pfarrkirchen on September 7, 1968. He is listed twice, the second time as Herbert Farmer, which of course is only the English translation of the German word "Bauer".

The fatal crash of German rider Walter Diener on Sunday, August 17, 1986 happend in an international grass-track meeting at Schwarme.

Thanks again for your help! I will fix those today!

Steve

Came across this report

Omaha, Neb.November 26 1914

Roy Milner of Cleveland, the first motorcyclist rider to test the new Omaha auto speedway, which was opened today, was killed when he attempted to take a curve at a high rate of speed. Milner was thrown from his wheel against one of the uprights. His head was crushed

Strangely looking up the track on wiki it states it was opened a year later!!! A mistake or another track?

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

Came across this report

Omaha, Neb.November 26 1914

Roy Milner of Cleveland, the first motorcyclist rider to test the new Omaha auto speedway, which was opened today, was killed when he attempted to take a curve at a high rate of speed. Milner was thrown from his wheel against one of the uprights. His head was crushed

Strangely looking up the track on wiki it states it was opened a year later!!! A mistake or another track?

Not one I'd heard of; thanks!

However, looking a little deeper, it seems that the Omaha Motordrome (actually in Council Bluffs) ran from September 1914 to July 1915. The track that opened in 1915 replaced the Motordrome, and was a much larger track.

Edited by chunky

Must say what a comprehensive and well researched site it is . I have come across a number of track tragedies and thought ‘ doubt he has this one on there’ and when I have looked it is there !!!!:t:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iris123 said:

Must say what a comprehensive and well researched site it is . I have come across a number of track tragedies and thought ‘ doubt he has this one on there’ and when I have looked it is there !!!!:t:

I appreciate the kind words! I know there must still be a few that are missing, and I am always checking. I can't take all the credit, though, as there are a number of individuals from around the world who have contributed, including yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1