British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your best speedway year

23 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Do you ever learn?? Woffinden i quite like he is not an as..h...   but Craven, Collins/ Lee there records are pretty good too.Lee made mega mistakes that cost him  his career  but he still achieved quite alot. Collins could of won three titles if had had luck on his side Craven died aged 29 when approaching his peak nothing against Tai give the riders i have named credit.

There are lots of riders who could have won more world titles if luck had been on their side, but that's part of the game old chap. You can't just decide someone really won three world titles because they might have been a bit unlucky twice. I also cannot agree that Craven was approaching his peak when he died. He had been at his peak for a while. Yes, he may have won more titles, but there is no real reason to assume he would have. Fundin, Briggs and Knutson were also at their peak and then along came Mauger. My personal opinion is that PC the first wouldn't have won any more titles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chunky said:

When have I EVER not given those riders credit? I just prefer to judge individuals on what actually happened, and not what MIGHT have happened.

I was a big fan of Collins, and he COULD have have had FOUR world titles in a row. Due to a series of unfortunate events, he didn't.

I wasn't a fan of Lee, due to his dubious record. Again, he was perhaps the most talented rider of all time. However, due to his mental frailties, he never got close to fulfilling his potential. So, it doesn't matter what he COULD have achieved, he DIDN'T.

Craven, I never saw, so it is difficult for me to say. He was clearly a brilliant rider, but tragedy prevented him from adding more world titles. Had he continued, he may well have won more, but we just don't know.

Woffinden? Maybe not as naturally talented as Lee, and not as unfortunate as the two PC's, but through hard work and determination, and not a little skill, he has gone on to produce far and away the best World Championship record of ANY British rider. It is that record that makes him - in my view - the best British rider of all time. And he is not finished yet.

In view of my comments above - and what I have posted previously - I fail to see how you can keep accusing me of not giving credit to other riders.

Maybe i was wrong and you have over the years given the riders named credit. But???!!!! Tai never ever won a one  off final over  one given day  has he ? was Peter or Michael  ever given that chance to ride in a series.Dress it up as much as you like but the series now is a closed shop needs reinventing becoming boring.

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Maybe i was wrong and you have over the years given the riders named credit. But???!!!! Tai never ever won a one  off final over  one given day  has he ? was Peter or Michael  ever given that chance to ride in a series.Dress it up as much as you like but the series now is a closed shop needs reinventing becoming boring.

Dress it up all you want, the series now has close to the best riders in the world.. No World Final ever had that.

As for harder to win, it's a totally different thing, but easier to win on one night than over a series.

5 minutes ago, norbold said:

There are lots of riders who could have won more world titles if luck had been on their side, but that's part of the game old chap. You can't just decide someone really won three world titles because they might have been a bit unlucky twice. I also cannot agree that Craven was approaching his peak when he died. He had been at his peak for a while. Yes, he may have won more titles, but there is no real reason to assume he would have. Fundin, Briggs and Knutson were also at their peak and then along came Mauger. My personal opinion is that PC the first wouldn't have won any more titles.

But Norbold with him out of the way aged 29  and he was approaching his peak it was was a whole lot easier.Plus  Moore had his six year exile as well in which has to be considered.

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Dress it up all you want, the series now has close to the best riders in the world.. No World Final ever had that.

As for harder to win, it's a totally different thing, but easier to win on one night than over a series.

A closed shop  no Drabik yet, no Smektala, Lambert will get there hopefully with luck.!!!'any fresh blood anytime soon Witcher.!!!!

Winning  a one off final is harder  than just  aiming for the semi / Final scenario over a ten round period.

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

A closed shop  no Drabik yet, no Smektala, Lambert will get there hopefully with luck.!!!'any fresh blood anytime soon Witcher.!!!!

Winning  a one off final is harder  than just  aiming for the semi / Final scenario over a ten round period.

There are qualifying rounds every year, if they're good enough, they'll qualify.

Would Egon Muller have won a GP series? Or Jerzy Szakiel (excuse spelling!)? 

27 minutes ago, chunky said:

Stop f*cking accusing me!  I have NEVER intimated that you can't say anything against Tai! There are things he has said and done of which I'm not a fan, but I can say the same about most riders. Peter Collins included.

However, going by his on-track feats, it is impossible to look past his superb record.

If you think it is easier for Tai to win a GP series, you may be right. However, it is easier for EVERYONE! In the old days, everybody rode in different numbers of meetings to be World Champion. At least what we have now, everybody has exactly the same chance...

Don't get stressy cant be good for you take a deep breath.!!!

14 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

There are qualifying rounds every year, if they're good enough, they'll qualify.

Would Egon Muller have won a GP series? Or Jerzy Szakiel (excuse spelling!)? 

It is stale and boring and when most of  the older riders exile it will move on again.And Muller as much I disliked him winning in 83 he was to good on  that given  day  you  need a SKILL to be able to do that.

Edited by Sidney the robin

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Don't get stressy cant be good for you take a deep breath.!!!

Then please stop accusing me of things!

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

It is stale and boring and when most of  the older riders exile it will move on again.And Muller as much I disliked him winning in 83 he was to good on  that given  day  you  need a SKILL to be able to do that.

You need SKILL to become a speedway world champion WHATEVER format is used.

You also needed a lot more LUCK with the old system. That's why Collins wasn't a four-time World Champion. That's why Szczakiel was a World Champ. That's why a lot of the top riders missed out on World Finals on occasion.

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Was he the best rider in the world that year? 

Just now, chunky said:

Then please stop accusing me of things!

I am not , but you getting irate and annoyed cannot be good for you.Chunky every point you have made tonight i RESPECT ( Believe it or not).

1 minute ago, chunky said:

You need SKILL to become a speedway world champion WHATEVER format is used.

You also needed a lot more LUCK with the old system. That's why Collins wasn't a four-time World Champion. That's why Szczakiel was a World Champ. That's why a lot of the top riders missed out on World Finals on occasion.

You summed it up nicely you needed alot more luck to win in the old format.

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Was he the best rider in the world that year? 

He was on the day i went , Nielsen, Lee, Carter,Sigalos , Gundersen, Sanders all failed to beat him on that given day.

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He was on the day i went , Nielsen, Lee, Carter,Sigalos , Gundersen, Sanders all failed to beat him on that given day.

That wasn't the question.