British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Five riders that you felt were underrated.

44 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

God you would never think of Ronnie being that way inclined such a gentleman really Eide was a tough rider classy.

If memory serves it was a seperate incident to Bert's...recall an article in "Backtrack" some years back now.

It's wll known that Eide had issues paying the toll when crossing the Severn Bridge when he ride for Newport. Apparently he was rather mean when it came to money although Bob Radford did talk about his generosity when he and some riders were house guests of Reidar.

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Also in 1972 & !973 Sid. A heat leader trio of Wilson, Boulger & Jessup.

Those days are gone Steve maybe the averages were false !!!!

31 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Those days are gone Steve maybe the averages were false !!!!

Don't encourage the statisticians on here Sid!

34 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Don't encourage the statisticians on here Sid!

Louis, Sanders Davey,    Mauger, Sjosten,PC  were pretty good those days are long

23 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Louis, Sanders Davey,    Mauger, Sjosten,PC  were pretty good those days are long

Davis, Andersson and Schwartz at Reading (1980)

Kennett, Moran, Preston at Eastbourne (1982)

Ron How, Arne Pander, Jimmy Gooch (Oxford 65).

44 minutes ago, chunky said:

Ron How, Arne Pander, Jimmy Gooch (Oxford 65).

Should have known that one!

McKinlay, Harrfeldt and Hunter - West Ham 1965 & 66.

Edited by steve roberts

Davis was  a very decent rider but for  he me was me never  ever  an overwhelming number one rider  ever.

36 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Davis was  a very decent rider but for  he me was me never  ever  an overwhelming number one rider  ever.

I'd agree Sid however he was good back up to the likes of Andersson, Schwartz, Jessup, Michanek etc. I obviously saw a lot of him during his formative years riding for the "Rebels" and was always regarded as a gater...but when he did he lowered a few scalps. I seem to remember that in 1974 he beat Briggo at both Wimbledon and Oxford when he out gated him...unfortunately he would often then run a last! He became more consistant when he left Cowley but was never the all round rider like some.

Edited by steve roberts

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'd agree Sid however he was good back up

Was JD another Mauger, Collins, or Olsen? Of course not, but between 1977 and 1981 (leaving out a "poor" year in 1978), I would think that the following averages would class someone as more than a "backup"...

1977 - 9.80

1979 - 10.32

1980 - 9.59

1981 - 9.67

I just think you guys are being a little harsh...

24 minutes ago, chunky said:

Was JD another Mauger, Collins, or Olsen? Of course not, but between 1977 and 1981 (leaving out a "poor" year in 1978), I would think that the following averages would class someone as more than a "backup"...

1977 - 9.80

1979 - 10.32

1980 - 9.59

1981 - 9.67

I just think you guys are being a little harsh...

What I meant by back up was that he was often a supporting player (albeit a good one) to a team's number one although he did top the averages once at Reading and a couple of times at Poole. Personally I never rated him but his longevity is beyond question.

Interesting when John joined Wimbledon in 1984 Malcolm Simmons mentored him and attempted to eliminate his habit of looking over his shoulder when in front which often left him vulnerable to the likes of Gordon Kennett especially!

Edited by steve roberts

Eric Boocock

Richard Knight

Andy Smith

Larry Ross

Jerzy Szczakiel

40 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I never rated him but his longevity is beyond question.

That is my point! I am not talking about longevity, but you say you never rated him, and sidney doesn't class him as an "overwhelming" number one. You don't have to physically top the averages to be a "number one", and being top of a team's averages doesn't necessarily make you a number one.

Those averages I posted SHOULD be enough to prove that JD was a real "number one". For some reason, he is never classed alongside the other top riders of the day, but he was certainly good enough to be.

12 hours ago, chunky said:

That is my point! I am not talking about longevity, but you say you never rated him, and sidney doesn't class him as an "overwhelming" number one. You don't have to physically top the averages to be a "number one", and being top of a team's averages doesn't necessarily make you a number one.

Those averages I posted SHOULD be enough to prove that JD was a real "number one". For some reason, he is never classed alongside the other top riders of the day, but he was certainly good enough to be.

I must say Chunky i did see Davis win 

a  manpower meeting at Reading and he was the bollocks he was on fire that night.

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

How about that guy Henricksson at Newport Pinny?? what was he like remember him also can remember a young charging Puk.

Anders was class but did mainly rely on his gating and home form although in his last season at Newport he was superb home and away. A super fan favourite and a class act but felt if he committed himself fully throughout his whole career , Smart could of gone onto bigger things. 

some called him dirty, I preferred to think of him as just a madman :)