British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Bear in mind the Russian names are translations from the Russian script, cyrillic, so there is no official spelling in our alphabet. We convert to how we would spell the names and the Poles their way. Their w is a v sound so what we would call Victor would be Wiktor in Polish, and something looking totally different but sounding pretty much the same n Russian. 

Going back over the years the English translations have varied. Take Grigori Chlinovsky, aka Grigory Khlinovsky. Likewise Grigori/Grigory/Grigorij Laguta.

The problem gets more complex with Latvia where two alphabets are in use, Russian and Latvian so an ethnic Russian's name in his own language may be Andrei Lebedev (check the back of his kevlars) or Andzejs Lebedevs in Latvian!

In English we have very few accents over or under letters like the e in cafe. Other languages have many. I don't want to wrestle with the keyboard too much but taking the Antonio Lindback case. The a in Lindback in Swedish has a double dot accent over the a, known in German as an umlaut,  making his name phonetically closer to Lindbeck. In English we don't use that accent so we usually add an e to the vowel, hence the occasional use of Lindbaeck. 

The English alphabet isn't flexible to accommodate all these accents, usually applied to vowels to change their sounds. We compromise, and in so doing often get the pronunciation of foreign names very wrong. A y in Swedish is usually pronounced more like ew or a g like a y. The Poles don't just mess with vowels which is why Lech Walesa's name is pronounced Vawensa and Lodz as Woodz. In both cases the l has a bar across it, changing it to w. 

How do you cope? Compromise. We convert foreign names to our alphabet as best as we can  and the pronunciations accordingly. Other nations do the same. I remember being amused at the 1982 Intercontinental Final at Vetlanda announcer refer to Kelly Moron. Well, he as many things, but not that....

It works in reverse. The Russians don't use the letter h so to get close to that sound they use a mix of x and i. I learned this when I covered ice racing n Russia using a programme obviously written in Russian and with the names similarly treated. It took a while to find Jarmo Hirvasoja.....

So, it's all compromise in adjusting from one alphabet to another. Our lack of accents being used with vowels helps make English a tricky language to learn. 

Just a final one, Google Translate can offer some interesting translations. Dawid/Wiktor Leopard (Lampart) , Rafal Innkeeper (Karczmarz), Pawel Month (Miesiac). Oh and speedway to Zuzel, or .....Slag.......

Hope this makes sense. 

Also bear in mind that there is no V in polish alphabet. 

• Like 1

Woffy's gating has been truly appalling for the past season and a half at least..

Miss gate, then blast around the boards is his regular tactic these days..

Great to watch when it comes off, but against top riders regularly hitting the first turn third or fourth wont deliver much success..

I would suggest he is maybe just still in the Top 10 in the world but not in the very top echelon anymore..

Bikes and talent still good enough, but starting simply miles off..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Heat 8 has to be Janowski & Woffy instead of Fricke & Berntzon and the last throw of the dice for Wroclaw

Gzugunow would be better than janowski who doesn’t even look competitive up till now 

• Like 1

Stream I'm on manic is working ok

Edited by zlata prilba

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Woffy's gating has been truly appalling for the past season and a half at least..

Great to watch when it comes off, but against top riders regularly hitting the first turn third or fourth wont deliver much success..

I would suggest he is maybe just still in the Top 10 in the world but not in the very top echelon anymore..

His gating has always been poor but he has a good racing brain to pick his lines right in the first corner 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

He is in for a very tough year in the GPs.   I want him to do very well but can see him struggling to reach finals.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

His gating has always been poor but he has the brain to pick his lines right in the first corner 

He used to at least be around second at the first turn, now he is often third or fourth..

That cut back he does in the first two turns has paid many a dividend over the years but you cant keep relying on it working.. 

Expecting it to work against 3 top lads is a high risk strategy if you want success at a world level..

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

He is in for a very tough year in the GPs.   I want him to do very well but can see him struggling to reach finals.

Same.

Can be proud of himself that's he's won the biggest individual prize but he's going to struggle big time this season with the amount of top riders in form.

1 minute ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Same.

Can be proud of himself that's he's won the biggest individual prize but he's going to struggle big time this season with the amount of top riders in form.

He hasn't ridden at top form since he broke his back about 18 months ago.    I hope he gets back to his best soon.

• Like 5