British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Surely the justice system is there to punish those who deserve it.  Once they've served this aren't they then given the chance to resume their place in society or should they continue to be punished for the rest of their lives? (And please don't think I'm condoning his past actions)

Indeed...

Again, not condoning what he did, but a sport that has allowed competitors to fix races shouldn't throw too many stones..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Surely the justice system is there to punish those who deserve it.  Once they've served this aren't they then given the chance to resume their place in society or should they continue to be punished for the rest of their lives? (And please don't think I'm condoning his past actions)

One might want to question the so called 'justice' system? ( a whole new can of worms...I know) but, JG was handed a 7 and a half year sentence....and he's out after 3 and a half years? Not sure his victims would call that 'Justice'?

I'm all for giving people second chances, but not purely based on a sentence served? I would insist on some proof of reformation!

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Indeed...

Again, not condoning what he did, but a sport that has allowed competitors to fix races shouldn't throw too many stones..

I think fixing races, as opposed to robbing disabled human beings at knife point has a slightly different severity !?

Hey...its all about opinions....thank heavens for Forums :D

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 4

footballers have been allowed back after causing deaths, any amount of them are wife beaters, so there is precedent. Wouldn't want him in my team I have to say.

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

The other aspect is they have to be able to take up gainful employment otherwise society will be end-up paying more for them on dole. There's no aspect of the crime being related to speedway, unlike say a convicted child abuser working in a school, so don't really see the issue with working again in speedway. 

Pretty unpleasant and nasty criminal I think we can agree, but hopefully some lessons have been learned and is now a reformed character. As the sentence was over 4 years, I think that's not an automatic halving and requires some sort of good behaviour and approval of the Parole Board for release. And of course will still be out on licence. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think fixing races, as opposed to robbing disabled human beings at knife point has a slightly different severity !?

Hey...its all about opinions....thank heavens for Forums :D

I believe you either have a rehabilitation system, or you don't..

If Garrity's main way of earning money was as a plumber would he never be allowed to do it again.?

Having employed ex cons, part of their release agreement can be restorative justice whereby they meet up with their victims and agree to give them recompense over time for their actions, and it is built into their wages received when they start work..

(Obviously this is led by the victim and doesn't always happen, but maybe in his case it has?)..

To have anyone saying "I will never go again" though is crackers...

If you have a flood at your home and are ankle deep in water, and an ex con turns up who you know has commited a violent crime, would you turn him away ?:D

I am no bleeding heart liberal at all, but you either have a system that rehabilitate's and your slate is then clean when your time is served..

Or you don't...

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I believe you either have a rehabilitation system, or you don't..

If Garrity's main way of earning money was as a plumber would he never be allowed to do it again.?

Having employed ex cons, part of their release agreement can be restorative justice whereby they meet up with their victims and agree to give them recompense over time for their actions, and it is built into their wages received when they start work..

(Obviously this is led by the victim and doesn't always happen, but maybe in his case it has?)..

To have anyone saying "I will never go again" though is crackers...

If you have a flood at your home and are ankle deep in water, and an ex con turns up who you know has commited a violent crime, would you turn him away ?:D

I am no bleeding heart liberal at all, but you either have a system that rehabilitate's and your slate is then clean when your time is served..

Or you don't...

I really do hope he going to go on the straight and narrow now, not sticking up for him or justifying his crime in any way but he is not the first rider to attack and I use the term lightly another person and return to racing although the others may have escaped a prison sentence for their crime, anyway not sure how fans would react to him but in garrity’s world if anything can rehabilitate him it’s speedway, if that fails for him, I fear the worst 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

in garrity’s world if anything can rehabilitate him it’s speedway, if that fails for him, I fear the worst 

One would hope...

I think everyone on here should cast their minds back several years ago to a certain incident involving 3 young riders and what they allegedly did to a young lady.

Who bailed them, who paid monies to certain parties to keep the alleged incident quiet and where are they now?

7 hours ago, secsy1 said:

I think everyone on here should cast their minds back several years ago to a certain incident involving 3 young riders and what they allegedly did to a young lady.

Who bailed them, who paid monies to certain parties to keep the alleged incident quiet and where are they now?

Not forgetting other speedway criminals like jerran hart who with help from mate's beat up a member of the armed forces for fun or James purchase who killed someone through dangerous driving. I don't remember these individuals getting much stick and infact purchase was welcomed back to cradley with open arms. There's a few more riders who have done crimes similar. Jason hopefully has a second chance. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, secsy1 said:

One is in a wheelchair. One is in disgrace through drugs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The other aspect is they have to be able to take up gainful employment otherwise society will be end-up paying more for them on dole. There's no aspect of the crime being related to speedway, unlike say a convicted child abuser working in a school, so don't really see the issue with working again in speedway. 

Pretty unpleasant and nasty criminal I think we can agree, but hopefully some lessons have been learned and is now a reformed character. As the sentence was over 4 years, I think that's not an automatic halving and requires some sort of good behaviour and approval of the Parole Board for release. And of course will still be out on licence. 

There is an aspect of the crime related to speedway that being speedway stadiums are full of older people. If he is accepted back i think he will get a hell of a lot of stick from the crowds where ever he goes.

I think his opponents will question whether they will want to be in a race, on a lethal machine, with someone as mentally unstable as he is?

brick laying, plumbing, etc etc etc.....are one thing....but, one of the most dangerous sports in the world is another!?

Just saying.....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think his opponents will question whether they will want to be in a race, on a lethal machine, with someone as mentally unstable as he is?

brick laying, plumbing, etc etc etc.....are one thing....but, one of the most dangerous sports in the world is another!?

Just saying.....

He's not the only speedway rider that's in your words "mentally unstable" , far from it . 

Just now, ONTWOMINUTES said:

He's not the only speedway rider that's in your words "mentally unstable" , far from it . 

Agreed! But he's one of the few that have a criminal record for it, therefore, it hits home with a bit more awareness (imo)

Personally, I loved watching JG when he was at B'ham....great entertainer and one of the few riders that was worth the entrance fee.

I wish him well, as in well-being and hope he's educated himself in the art of 'humanism'!

• Like 1