British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

5 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Unfortunately there is no normal life for Jason, he is a talent on two wheels, very funny and a likeable guy but the but goes a long way back. Jason was kept out of a secure place to stay because of his ability on a Speedway bike when Chris Morton and David Gordon agreed/were persuaded by the probation services to train him and give him an opportunity to change his life. Those commitments kept him out of custody but when it came to formally signing a contract other clubs stepped in so off he went and became effectively unsupervised. The rest is fairly well known the negative almost feral influences around him put him back to square one. Others from our sport were influenced by Jason and got into similar difficulties with the authorities, one I know is certainly not riding anymore.

What you see is what you get with Jason it's the bags and baggage that will be the problem I'd put him in a team tomorrow but wouldn't allow his entourage anywhere near a Speedway track.

People say he is talented. Maybe so.But he never really produced much and was on the decline before he was banged up. Not many come back as good as they were before a long break. I doubt he would get a 5 point average in the second tier.

Even with the lack of riders available, it would seem a major gamble to even bother ringing him up

On 4/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, Technik said:

It has been the same for everyone for many years. The sentence handed down is the maximum an individual will serve. But the term is only set for half & parole can be applied for at that point. With the time served & the offender demonstrates good behavior whilst incarcerated, shows remorse for their previous actions with a plan to improve in society & follow a set plan with a registered probation office. The sitting panel will consider all aspects & decide if the applicant is safe for release.

I believe this depends on whether the original sentence is less or more than 4 years.

If less than 4 years then release on probation is generally automatic, and indeed non-violent offenders are increasingly eligible for home detention for some of the prison time. If more than 4 years, I think you only become eligible for early release on licence after you've served half the time, and that requires Parole Board approval (i.e. demonstrated good behaviour). 

4 hours ago, chunky said:

I understand.

I'll get me coat...

I'm telling you now...

I don't understand...

Getting my coat too...

• Haha 1

Maybe if he said he was now "trans" he could get a gig..?

Justine Garrity? 

35 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe if he said he was now "trans" he could get a gig..?

Justine Garrity? 

Do you mean a "wig"?

16 hours ago, iris123 said:

People say he is talented. Maybe so.But he never really produced much and was on the decline before he was banged up. Not many come back as good as they were before a long break. I doubt he would get a 5 point average in the second tier.

Even with the lack of riders available, it would seem a major gamble to even bother ringing him up

Never produced much? He made it to the Cardiff gp line up which very few riders from this country ever do, and I bet you cheered him on that day like all his haters that are now slagging him off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Never produced much? He made it to the Cardiff gp line up which very few riders from this country ever do, and I bet you cheered him on that day like all his haters that are now slagging him off. 

"MADE IT to the Cardiff GP lineup"? He was named as "track reserve", which is hardly the same thing. You could say that Keith Yorke made it to the NLRC, and at least he actually rode!

Yes, Iris123, why are you slagging him off for being a heartless violent thug and criminal?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

"MADE IT to the Cardiff GP lineup"? He was named as "track reserve", which is hardly the same thing. You could say that Keith Yorke made it to the NLRC, and at least he actually rode!

Yes, Iris123, why are you slagging him off for being a heartless violent thug and criminal?

You have to laugh at the ' very few riders from this country ever do' bit. When home track reserves are almost exclusively from this country. Remember the other obscure rider who was on breakfast TV and they mixed up speedway with the US auto racing thing. But he was also saying he made it to the European final or some other pre GP quali meeting. When he never qualified. He was also just a local track reserve 

But the point also was 10 years ago Garruty was pleading for a chance and saying he was a reformed character .....ho hum

Edited by iris123

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

You have to laugh at the ' very few riders from this country ever do' bit. When home track reserves are almost exclusively from this country. Remember the other obscure rider who was on breakfast TV and they mixed up speedway with the US auto racing thing. But he was also saying he made it to the European final or some other pre GP quali meeting. When he never qualified. He was also just a local track reserve 

But the point also was 10 years ago Garruty was pleading for a chance and saying he was a reformed character .....ho hum

For someone from "round our way"..

He was reformed!!!:D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, chunky said:

I didn't realise anyone riding as a track reserve ( not in the 'line up ' ) was picked at random and didn't have to qualify for that position. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I didn't realise anyone riding as a track reserve ( not in the 'line up ' ) was picked at random and didn't have to qualify for that position. 

Okay, that makes more sense...

As far as the GP's, the Wild Card and track reserves are nominated by the hosting national association.

With other events, such as the British Final, NLRC etc, it was usual (but didn't always follow) for the hosting track to nominate the track reserves. For example, the track reserves for the 1974 British Final were Coventry riders Frank Smith and Roger Hill.

The NLRC was another example. In 1974, Bob Hughes, Brian Havelock, and Willie Templeton all "qualified" as their track's No.1, and all rode as reserve on the night. Same with Ian Clark and Graham Jones in 1977. However, Wimbledon juniors Ian Williams and Dave Brewer rode as reserve in 1976 and 1979, and Keith Yorke and Graham Knowler did the same in 1980.