British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Kings Lynn vs Ipswich Witches May 17th 7.30pm

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Read all the comments following my disbelief at admission costs. 

What seems to be missed here is the price rises are counterintuitive. We all understand costs go up for variable reasons. 

With speedway they have a sport when run correctly they should be looking to bring the prices DOWN. With the consistency of fans walking away (and oldies dying) price rises tend to correlate with this rather than costs. 

Funny how some think the more popular an item becomes the cheaper is should be.

Try telling that to Bill Gates. Must have paid for the development of Microsoft Office many times over yet still sells the full suite at £300 plus.   And what about Dyson with his vacuum cleaners. Who would have thought that today you could pay over £600 for a vacuum cleaner. Dyson is a self made millionaire, not reduced his pricing though.  ManUtd/City/Chelsea/Arsenal etc, all very successful clubs, how much do they charge to see a live match?

If speedway was to promote itself properly in line with modern day practices and picked up....that will take a massive investment, and the success of speedway would mean prices would go UP.....not down.  In a few years time the norm could be £30 not £20.  

Of course, the progression needed would have to come from "out of the box" thinking.....plus a LOT of investment, not just in one club, but in the whole system....... speedway would need a Bernie Ecclestone or a Barry Hearn. There isnt many of that class about, and I reckon if there is then  speedway is not a target they want be involved in. 

• Like 1

Totally see both sides of the cost argument.

Very rarely in life do things get cheaper but price and value of things are all relative to the individual. What’s cheap for one person at £20 is extortionate to another because we all have differing levels of disposable income.

As I’ve said before, I’d previously count myself a die hard fan and attended any meeting regardless of opposition/line up when the sport was in the £15 bracket. So effectively the club could count on me attending let’s say 20 meetings at £15 (£300 across a season).

To me I started to think it’s not value for money around the £18 mark so I started to pick and choose my meetings and I think I only did about 10 in 2019. That meant the club got about £180 from me.

Now at £20 I will give it a go because I’ve missed it and want to start living a normal life again. But if the racing is poor and the team is as weak as it looks on paper, I’ll probably do a maximum of 4 or 5 meetings this season. That means the club will get £80 to £100 from me this year.

So to put it simply, speedway needs to decide whether it wants £300 from me a season or let’s say £100. Add in that I always buy a programme and normally a pint or two if not driving. Multiply me by say another 50 to 100 likeminded fans and that’s a fair amount of revenue across a season. 

Edited by Speedball
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When we lived in Harrow during the seventies we went to Speedway four or five times a week. I could not afford to do that now even if there was the opportunity . Just shows the relative increase in costs.

1 hour ago, MikeyS said:

All the negatives you people are saying......lets support the club......

£20 whats the problem   .

Ticket sales advertised for 9am sale and two hours later no explanation why the system wasn’t live and operating. 

11 minutes ago, Speedball said:

Totally see both sides of the cost argument.

Very rarely in life do things get cheaper but price and value of things are all relative to the individual. What’s cheap for one person at £20 is extortionate to another because we all have differing levels of disposable income.

As I’ve said before, I’d previously count myself a die hard fan and attended any meeting regardless of opposition/line up when the sport was in the £15 bracket. So effectively the club could count on me attending let’s say 20 meetings at £15 (£300 across a season).

To me I started to think it’s not value for money around the £18 mark so I started to pick and choose my meetings and I think I only did about 10 in 2019. That meant the club got about £180 from me.

Now at £20 I will give it a go because I’ve missed it and want to start living a normal life again. But if the racing is poor and the team is as week as it looks on paper, I’ll probably do a maximum of 4 or 5 meetings this season. That means the club will get £80 to £100 from me this year.

So to put it simply, speedway needs to decide whether it wants £300 from me a season or let’s say £100. Add in that I always buy a programme and normally a pint or two if not driving. Multiply me by say another 50 to 100 likeminded fans and that’s a fair amount of revenue across a season. 

Let's say they do lose £200 from those 100 like minded - that equals £20,000

If they still get 1000 to each meeting then that's £2 extra x 1000 (£2000) per meeting

So even running just 10 meeting means no loss overall for the promotion in raw terms

Of course there are other less tangible losses but that is a different debate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Tickets purchased very easy process

Got mine too.Ordered on my phone very easy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, therefused said:

I am on the site and it says sold out already? Is anyone else seeing that?

Yup seeing the same. 

5 minutes ago, therefused said:

I am on the site and it says sold out already? Is anyone else seeing that?

Must be a glitch surely.

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

Must be a glitch surely.

Na , its just the draw of seeing the Mighty Witches !!!:party:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I refreshed and it worked, although somehow ive also ended up booking tickets for the match v belle vue in june. 

The website is beyond shocking

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, therefused said:

I refreshed and it worked, although somehow ive also ended up booking tickets for the match v belle vue in june. 

The website is beyond shocking

Can't see where you are coming from, booked my tickets, very straight forward, so why are you saying website shocking?

I’ve got my tickets.  Very easy. No booking fee well done kings Lynn.  Ipswich website is still not got tickets for sale yet